inTank Media Baskets

mkregs CADLights 39 Pro Seahorse Ranch

mkregs

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When do you think your tank will be ready for sea horses? What type?

I could add Seahorses now. But, I'm going to wait another week or so while I finish a couple things I'm working on in the sump.

I'm going to get a pair of (h. Erectus).

Update PLZ! ;) your tank looks awesome so far!

Thanks! I don't really have much to update on livestock yet. I still have a couple mods to do to the drain plumbing/sump and I want to get that done before adding Seahorses. I think the design of the CAD sump could be better. Ideally, I would want the baffles at the bottom of the skimmer chamber sealed so that the drain would fill the skimmer chamber, then overflow to the front chamber where a media rack with floss would be. That way, the skimmer would always have the same water level and the microbubble issue would be resolved without having to use filter socks or similar. I may decide to take that project on when I have time just to see if it would work as I think it would. I am also going to be upgrading from the CAD fuge light to a brighter fixture.

The water parameters are solid and I'm happy with the tank/LS/and scape and I love the Outer Orbit fixture and the chiller...I do need to buy a heater as temps are just starting to get a little cooler here. So, I'll be dropping in a stealth heater within the next month.

So, for now...it's watching snails, peppermint shrimp, 1 blue legged hermit, and an explosion of a variety of pods cruising around. Within a couple weeks, I plan to have a pair of Seahorses in there. I'm pretty stoked for that as it's taken a lot of work and $$$ to get to this point.

Thanks! I don't really have much to update on livestock yet. I still have a couple mods to do to the drain plumbing/sump and I want to get that done before adding Seahorses. I think the design of the CAD sump could be better. Ideally, I would want the baffles at the bottom of the skimmer chamber sealed so that the drain would fill the skimmer chamber, then overflow to the front chamber where a media rack with floss would be. That way, the skimmer would always have the same water level and the microbubble issue would be resolved without having to use filter socks or similar. I may decide to take that project on when I have time just to see if it would work as I think it would. I am also going to be upgrading from the CAD fuge light to a brighter fixture.

The water parameters are solid and I'm happy with the tank/LS/and scape and I love the Outer Orbit fixture and the chiller...I do need to buy a heater as temps are just starting to get a little cooler here. So, I'll be dropping in a stealth heater within the next month.

So, for now...it's watching snails, peppermint shrimp, 1 blue legged hermit, and an explosion of a variety of pods cruising around. Within a couple weeks, I plan to have a pair of Seahorses in there. I'm pretty stoked for that as it's taken a lot of work and $$$ to get to this point.

I'd like to see pictures of what you're doing to your sump, if you have time. i'm still messing around with the configuration of mine (moving fans, adding media, etc.) in an attempt to 1) ease the microbubbles, 2) ease the in-cabinet condensation, 3) ease the noise.

looking forward to seeing your seahorses, too, though!

• 2 weeks later...
very nice!

those are interesting looking seahorses. never seen that kind of mottled coloration. very cool.

Thanks Tim!

Those are some really nice horses. Sorry if you already mentioned, but what kind are they?

Thank you! They are juvenile h. Erectus.

Nicely done, patient and well planned. The horses are beautiful. When you talk of the sump on this setup is a separate tank or is the an all in one type tank?

Nicely done, patient and well planned. The horses are beautiful. When you talk of the sump on this setup is a separate tank or is the an all in one type tank?

Thanks for your comments!

The CADLights 39 Pro is not an AIO. The sump is a 12gal acrylic tank that sits in the stand. The tank has an overflow box that is situated in the center-back of the tank and it is drilled through the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, how cool and unique! I want a seahorse tank; maybe I will put one together in the future. Those macroalgaes look really nice too.

Do the horses dance for each other in the morning? :)

Wow, how cool and unique! I want a seahorse tank; maybe I will put one together in the future. Those macroalgaes look really nice too.

Do the horses dance for each other in the morning? :)

Thanks!

This tank build has opened my eyes to display macros. Some of them are equally or more beautiful than many corals.

I haven't seen them dance for each other yet :) . But, they do change coloring when they are close to each other.

• 2 weeks later...

A few pics to show what's been going on in this tank....

Ochtodes

DSC00515.jpg

Red Grape (getting it's color back after shipment)

DSC00514.jpg

Merman's Shaving Brush w/new sprout which has noticable daily growth

DSC00523.jpg

Halimeda

DSC00516.jpg

Fire Fern

DSC00517.jpg

Encrusting Gorgonian (part of a large colony)

DSC00527.jpg

Bad pic, but this is a hitchhiker on the rock with the Encrusting Gorgonian. I think it's Halymenia

DSC00528.jpg

Purple Monti

DSC00526.jpg

Blue Xenia

DSC00525.jpg

Pinto (wondering why I'm taking pics instead of feeding him)

DSC00530.jpg

Snake (hunting...as usual)

DSC00529.jpg

FTS - you might notice the Pencil Cap (lower left) and Flame Algae (upper left next to branch rock in back)

DSC00533.jpg

Awesome shots mkregs. Those horses are gorgeous. What are you feeding them?

Thanks for looking!

I'm feeding them PE Mysis. They are crazy about it. When they're not getting fed, they are hunting for pods.

Wow this tank is incredible. Do you dose Fe for the macros?

Thanks! About Iron dosing, I am interested in this and have been reading up. Nutrients to feed the macros is not in short supply in this tank as I feed the seahorses daily. I have heard of the benefits of iron dosing, but want to make sure I fully understand it before I get moving on it.

I love horse tanks and your is very nice. Well done!

Thanks Henry!

looking good, Mark!

are you planning on stocking any more pipefish/horses?

Thanks Tim! When I bought these 2 seahorses they were juvenilles (i.e...unsexed). My plan was to wait and see what gender they turn out to be, then buy 2 more horses as I would like to have 2 males and 2 females.

• 2 weeks later...
how're things on the ranch?

Well, I know what gender the seahorses are now. They did their "dance" a few days ago, but I don't think the eggs got deposited in the male's pouch as I saw them (the eggs) settle on the shelf rock in the middle of the tank. I didn't expect this to happen so soon. I guess I need to think about setting up another tank to raise fry. omgomgomg

Well, I know what gender the seahorses are now. They did their "dance" a few days ago, but I don't think the eggs got deposited in the male's pouch as I saw them (the eggs) settle on the shelf rock in the middle of the tank. I didn't expect this to happen so soon. I guess I need to think about setting up another tank to raise fry. omgomgomg

that's awesome!! :happydance:

baby seahorses = you better get ready to post some pictures so that I can convince my wife to start us a seahorse ranch of our own!! (perhaps in the old 8g biocube...?)

Archived