Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 6 Gallon Fluval Edge - Office Tank

pimp4cheddar

Base rock is generally just South Florida limestone. They're incredibly dense and not like the branchy, unique shapes you would generally want in live rock. They are, however, cheap and can be used to "DIY" live rock in your tank. You could mix the base rock with pieces of store bought live rock and save some cash.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pimp4cheddar

Well it's almost done!

I went a few hours ago and put the tank together at the office. I had went for lunch to 3 different LFS' and finally brought 2 pieces of Base Rock...

So the last thing I need is a quick bag of sand. I'll pick one up tomorrow around lunch time. I'll snap pics tomorrow.

It's funny...I was looking online for a few other tank ideas and ran across a ton of pico tanks. JBJ has a pretty cool 8 gallon tank...JBJ 180

I still like the Edge better...it's just the JBJ had better lighting.

I didn't understand it had top glass at first ! wow, this thing IS the coolest ever. So you can fill it to the absolute top... any worry of oxygen exchange because the aquarium is 16.9 x 10.2 x 8.8 high, but the opening is 7 by 6 ?

any other 6 sided designs out there?

They had that JBJ180 at Fishy Business the other day. Looked interesting enough. Would definitely want to upgrade the lighting to LEDs on that one.

You know, a year ago, no-one would have mentioned that upgrade ;)

Great looking tank, but i'm nervous about it's quality... I hope it doesn't fall apart in a year!

pimp4cheddar
I didn't understand it had top glass at first ! wow, this thing IS the coolest ever. So you can fill it to the absolute top... any worry of oxygen exchange because the aquarium is 16.9 x 10.2 x 8.8 high, but the opening is 7 by 6 ?

any other 6 sided designs out there?

The tank is pretty sleek and I didn't understand the design at first...lucky my LFS had one on display so I was able to look around and really figure it out.

I don't believe there is an ozygen exchange problem...as the hang on filter is pretty powerful. It helps keep oxygen in the water without ruining the design of the tank.

I believe this is the only 6 sided tank out there. There are a few other tanks that Fluval makes that are Orb and Cylinder shaped...those are pretty cool but not as modern.

They had that JBJ180 at Fishy Business the other day. Looked interesting enough. Would definitely want to upgrade the lighting to LEDs on that one.

I swung by there yesterday in search of dry base rock...and I saw the tank. I think it's $80 or something like that...which is a pretty sweet price for the tank. I like it a lot. It's not a ton of money for something that cool.

Great looking tank, but i'm nervous about it's quality... I hope it doesn't fall apart in a year!

I was pretty nervous about the tank at first...however the glass seems like it's seemed perfectly.

I couldn't find any problems with the tank at all...I believe I should be okay. If it cracks...I'm screwed. The tank is next to my laptop, keyboard, mouse, screen desk, etc... KNOCK ON WOOD!

pimp4cheddar

Finally got some pics up...I just snapped them so these are as fresh as can be...

DSCF1254.jpg

DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1255.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

As you can see...my entire desk/office is extremely messy!

DSCF1258.jpg

I didn't take pictures before since the tank was very cloudy with the sand...The sand is very small (not sugar size) but still very fine.

I'll take pics in a little with the lights on...I'll keep you guys waiting!

pimp4cheddar

Any thoughts on the rockwork?...or lack there of...

The sand is pretty fine. It's not sugar grain but pretty close. I'm going with the Goby/Shrimp Pair...and I'm hoping this is enough rock for them to be happy with. I do not want to add a lot of rock and not be able to see them.

Thoughts-

Hmm... I think you need some pieces of rock that have some more 'charisma'. Looks awesome though... I want one! I see a new home for some of my tetras...

So cool ! Looks like a cube of water just floating there ! Even tho my 1st tank is in its infant stages, I think I know what my 2nd will be...

pimp4cheddar

Thanks for the kind remarks. The tank is actually doing pretty good. My camera has been dead for about 3 days and I haven't charged it...

But the tank is fully cycled and I added two snails and a sexy shrimp...I'll post some good pics tomorrow and keep this thread rolling.

I'm actually trying to decide between a Yashia and Hi-Fin Goby...decisions decisions...

looks great now u can get algae on top of the tank =p

bahaha

It does look good :) I would hate to scape one or try and catch a fish or shrimp.

pimp4cheddar
bahaha

It does look good :) I would hate to scape one or try and catch a fish or shrimp.

The problem with scaping one is the fact that it's sooo damn small you can only fit in twiggy rock or just 2-3 pieces of regular rock. I figured I'll drop two pieces of base rock and call it a day...but it looks kinda bland...

Believe it or not...the hole at the top is pretty big and allows for me to put both hands in the tank.

Greetings, Just joined here as I saw this post and purchased one of these great looking tank a couple of days ago and have begun working on getting it setup.

First task will be the lighting upgrade for sure, currently planning on putting in some high power LED replacements for the Halogens utilizing the existing MR11 sockets for now along with some blue LED's I plan to add on to the bar that holds the existing lights. Trying to keep everything under the top cover to keep the look of this tank as is.

Will get sand and rock cycling soon and go from there. Looking forward to seeing others give this little tank a try, it's just so darn cool looking I had to give it a shot. :D

• Like 1

this appears to be a promising tank.

I would talk with the led god to see if he can fab you up a led retro (then you can keep w/e you want)

if not, it appears that there might be enough space for a 70w MH retro in that hood.

no matter what your plans are, this will be extremely sexy & i am fully jealous.

Believe it or not...the hole at the top is pretty big and allows for me to put both hands in the tank.

:o

how big are your hands???

anyways does the shimmer disappear?

i was planning to make one like this. with 1/4 acrylic. cuz its basically a tank with a big euro brace on it.

pimp4cheddar
:o

how big are your hands???

anyways does the shimmer disappear?

i was planning to make one like this. with 1/4 acrylic. cuz its basically a tank with a big euro brace on it.

I take it you haven't seen my commercials or movies...I'm in the grey hoody:

Anywho...your right...It's a tank with a brace on the bottom, through the back and over the top. The filter is hidden in the back(spine) of the tank. There isn't a skimmer...just a filter...

With 1 fish and 1 shrimp and a weekly 1 gallon water change...there isn't a need for a skimmer.

Update: I just order my Yashia Goby and Shrimp pair...they arrive this Friday at my LFS...I'm pretty pumped. They gave me a great rate for both and I couldn't pass it up!

Archived