Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My 6 Gallon Fluval Edge - Office Tank

pimp4cheddar

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just added a 15watt hydro heater to my fluval today... which has taken the tank from 73 to 78.5 degrees. I removed the filter media holder in order to make it all fit.

Does anyone see a problem with having the filter media sitting in without the holder?

zenacupuncture

Hi there.

I love your tank. I am going to purchase it this week end. Since I am new to SW, I really need your guidance. If I want to start a fish only tank, do I need to replace the light came with the tank? Is the filtration came with the tank is suitable for Fish only tank? Can I still use live sand and live Rock in a fish only tank ? Thank you very much and look forward to see more new pics of your tank.

The tank is going great!

I really do apologize for the lack of updates...but I should be updating this pretty often!!!

Some may not know...but I recently lost the Purple Firefish and Tangoria Goby because of a drop of temp... It was my fault because I didn't have a heater on my tank in the first place. I flew out to Cali on a Monday morning...and it turns out the temp in Florida was around the low 40's so my guys froze!

Since then I'v added a 50watt Marine Land Stealth Pro heater and it's great! My temps are pretty steady and I shouldn't have any issues at all! The heater is a little big as I wanted something that I can fit into the filter (AC20). I didn't want to have anything in the tank, but to have a good heater and a stable tank...you have to buy a big enough heater! The heater is solid though...it's not glass so I have no worries of it breaking. It has a color dial so I can see when it's on or off. It shuts off automatically and has a ton of other features! I recommend this heater to everyone!

Once my tank was cleaned up, heated and working right...I added a Purple Firefish and a YWG. I ordered a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp...but he didn't survive the shipping!

I really appreciate everyone still stopping by to say hello and leave comments even though I've neglected you all!

Below are a few pics I took right now of the tank, heater, fish, zoa frag and filter media (I got a few questions on it).

I have a hand full of ricordia's at my house...waiting to be put into this tank. I just wanted to make sure the temp was fine before putting them in! The mini zoa frag is just the test subject...so far so good!

The tank with a heater in it (it's pretty hidden):

DSCF1594.jpg

DSCF1595.jpg

New Firefish:

DSCF1610.jpg

New YWG:

DSCF1608.jpg

New zoa frag:

DSCF1609.jpg

Filter and carbon (purapad):

DSCF1599.jpg

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1601.jpg

As you can see I removed all the filter media the tank came with...and simply put in a purapad. I face the white net towards the water flow...and it acts as my only filtration. I've tried Chemipure and a few other media's, but this is by far the best I've seen.

Chemipure is good if you haver room for it, but this pad does everything. My water is constantly crystal clear, nits are down and it removes a ton of things from my water. I do a 1 gallon water change every week and feed every other day...so I'm pretty sure that helps with my tank being so stable.

If anyone has any questions....post it here or send me a PM, I'll be happy to help!

Thanks,

~Carlos

here is a pic of my edge with the blue leds installed, not wet in these pics but i will post an update this weekend. i also installed a jbj ocean pulse wave timer with a small powerhead on each side of the tank, worked out pretty good

Whats up Carlos?

I started a Fluval tank thread(Link in sig) and was hoping maybe you could swing by and update it. Thanks much :happy:

I got a fluval edge and made a freshwater nano, and I've been debating on upgrading to LEDs because I've been adding a lot of plants. I really like the addition of the LED strip too.

I kind of like the warm look of the halogens though. I already have a blue/white led lit saltwater nano and I wanted a less sterile look for my fresh water.

Do you think the LED upgrade is a pretty big improvement or is it only slightly noticeable?

Has anyone ever used Warm White instead of Cool White? Is it too yellow?

here is a pic of my edge with the blue leds installed, not wet in these pics but i will post an update this weekend. i also installed a jbj ocean pulse wave timer with a small powerhead on each side of the tank, worked out pretty good

hi can you tell me which light system is that you are using? i want to purchase one. thanks. and if you can plz post the link to the website that selling the lights

• 5 weeks later...
zenacupuncture

Hi there. I love your led strip. Where did you get it from? is is just plug in, no need to hardwire or need an adaptor? I never use LED before in my life, so sorry for asking. Thanks.

Wanted to update where I am on my Edge.

-LED MR11 direct replacement lights are in, much bluer color to them.

-Blue LED strip added for moonlight

-5 Pounds of cured Live Rock

-8 Pounds of Live sand

The LED"s I bought are a step up for sure in both brightness and color, they are still very directional like the Halogen spotlights they replaced which at first I didn't like but the shadows are growing on me now vs. having uniform bright lighting throughout the tank.

Here's the first pic.

post-46305-1249845878_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
packersrule

so i googled "fluval edge nano reef" and this was the first find. i recently bought a edge for my betta but after looking into it i decided to get a reef going in the edge. im a complete beginner to saltwater and had a freshwater 10 banger in college so im very new to this and ive done alot of searching to see how and what to do. im basically doing something similar to what you have but i really have no idea what i need and dont need. right now im sportin the stock edge along with.....

thermometer - in water

hydrometer - in water

heater - does the 25 watt edge heater work ok. ive read its not very effective. what wattage do i need?

live sand - do i need that argonite stuff?

live rock - how important is having "cured" live rock? can i just get the live rock from petco? i want critters!

saltwater - buying from the LFS(it took me awhile to realize what you meant by LFS) is this a good idea too?

instant ocean salt mix - is this better then LFS? i have no idea how to prepare the H2O if anyone can help!

powerhead - no air flow tiny little guy

food - ?

test kits - ?

led lights - MR11 sockets some kind of blue or moonlight i read was good. ill probably add more somehow

is that a good start to the tank? id like to see an updated checklist of how your guys tanks are set up if you wanted. any info and what i need to do with mine would be awesome and much appreciated.

your thread has been very helpful in helping start up my fluval edge! Thank you! check out my tank. link is in my sig.

is that live rock or coral formations? how do i get my hand on interesting shapes like that instead of random coral rocks?????

dang i just noticed all the links in sigs. TONS OF HELP!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is an old post but can someone tell me the home depot part for MR11 led, replacement. I have the orignal fluval edge bulbs, both just blew (may have other problems), they get wicked hot. I prefer leds...they just fit right in??

Didn't put much rocket science into the install...tie wraps, one step up from duct tape!

Was very happy the MR11's went directly into the existing mounts with the original wall transformer, no issues.

post-46305-1249866637_thumb.jpg

I know this is an old post but can someone tell me the home depot part for MR11 led, replacement. I have the orignal fluval edge bulbs, both just blew (may have other problems), they get wicked hot. I prefer leds...they just fit right in??

I don't know what the Home Depot part number is for these lights...

If your buying lights...might as well spend an extra $10 and buy LED's.

LEDWAVES.com is where I picked up mine.

...hope this helps.

It helps a lot, thanks. My husband is checking home depot for the led bulbs. He thinks I am crazy with three tanks (1 SW and 2 fresh) with crazy lighting/plumbing situations...He just shakes his head :) If anything happens to me my fish are doomed. If he has no luck will check out ledwaves. Thank You!

I don't know what the Home Depot part number is for these lights...

If your buying lights...might as well spend an extra $10 and buy LED's.

LEDWAVES.com is where I picked up mine.

...hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

How is that Marineland stealth heater working? I had one a few years back and it went out on me suddenly (granted i'm in Indiana so it had to work all winter to keep the tank at 78 degrees).

• 1 month later...

Hello dnsrep,

Can you please tell me where you got your moonlight? I've been looking for one for the EDGE but it is impossible to find for that size.

I'd also like to know what bulbs you use exactly for your tank (the white colour ones, instead of the yellow the original bubs have). I'm concerned about the wattage, since I put a white-coloured 20W and the transformer burned out. It has since been replaced by Hagen.

Thanks for your help!

PM'd you with some details, here is the comparison of with blue LED's on and off.

Off

post-46305-1249865871_thumb.jpg

On

post-46305-1249865944_thumb.jpg

Really just added them for moonlight.

The MR11's are in the 6000-6500K range I believe vs. somewhere in the 3000's for the original Halogens so there is an instant difference in color tone.

Hope this and the PM I sent helps.

Hey Folks!

I'm surpised this thread is still alive.

I apologize for the lack of updates...but life is pretty wild. Between a recent move, wedding and new tank at my house...this little guy has been limited to water changes only :-(.

The tank itself is still great and it's pretty easy to maintain. I have one YWG and one Purple Firefish. As for coral...I have one Torch and Tyree Toadstool.

I'm planning on flooding this tank with coral within the next two-three weeks.

My camera is at home...but I'll snap some pics tomorrow and get this thread going again. I'm surprised that I have almost 100k views.

As for my new tank...when I moved I got rid of my 29 gallon walmart special and upgraded. I upgraded to a rimless 45 gallon Reef Savvy tank. 36x18x16. I just decided to buy all new equipment and it's been a process getting it started. I'll snap some pics later today as well.

Thanks folks!

• 1 month later...
Hello dnsrep,

Can you please tell me where you got your moonlight? I've been looking for one for the EDGE but it is impossible to find for that size.

I'd also like to know what bulbs you use exactly for your tank (the white colour ones, instead of the yellow the original bubs have). I'm concerned about the wattage, since I put a white-coloured 20W and the transformer burned out. It has since been replaced by Hagen.

Thanks for your help!

BUMP!

Just wondering if anyone has any answers to my question above. It's been almost 2 months now...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...

It's been awhile since I've updated...but the tank looks great.

I'll post some really good pics but this was the only one I had handy. That is the LED Ecoxotic 460nm Strip I installed.

The trophy is from Fantasy Football...and yes I am the defending champion. Working on becoming a Two Time Champ!

255987_10151028477533683_1178119534_o_zps09aa1cba.jpg

It's been awhile since I've updated...but the tank looks great.

I'll post some really good pics but this was the only one I had handy. That is the LED Ecoxotic 460nm Strip I installed.

The trophy is from Fantasy Football...and yes I am the defending champion. Working on becoming a Two Time Champ!

255987_10151028477533683_1178119534_o_zps09aa1cba.jpg

Its still ALIVE!!! Wuuuhuu! Love Edge tanks, i have mine going again after i left the country for 1&1/2 years i revamped my edge . I actually had the first Edge in the states since i got it from a fish show in europe and brought it before release date . Love the tank pics are allways welcome. No more office ??

• 4 weeks later...

Archived