Top Shelf Aquatics

My 6 Gallon Fluval Edge - Office Tank

pimp4cheddar

pimp4cheddar
That tank makes me nervous on that desk.

I was kind of iffy on putting it on there as well...but it is what it is and it looks great. I just have my laptop next to the tank...so I'm hoping this tank never leaks!

The good news is I never go on that side...and no one goes near the tank besides me...we'll see how it goes.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the tank is fully cycled and I added two snails and a sexy shrimp...I'll post some good pics tomorrow and keep this thread rolling.

Where were you able to find Sexies? Can't seem to locate any in Orlando :(

pimp4cheddar
Where did you order your Yashia Goby and Shrimp pair? C-City?

You know it!!!

I'm pretty siked! If you want to see it...head in there on Friday...they should it have it in sometime during the day...I'll be picking it up later that night.

pimp4cheddar
Where were you able to find Sexies? Can't seem to locate any in Orlando :(

I picked them up at Sea-in-the-City... You have to get there when they receive their shipments! If you go a day or two later you miss all the good stuff.

Did you add yourself to the email list? If not...you need to, that way you can get first dibs on everything.

pimp4cheddar
Greetings, Just joined here as I saw this post and purchased one of these great looking tank a couple of days ago and have begun working on getting it setup.

First task will be the lighting upgrade for sure, currently planning on putting in some high power LED replacements for the Halogens utilizing the existing MR11 sockets for now along with some blue LED's I plan to add on to the bar that holds the existing lights. Trying to keep everything under the top cover to keep the look of this tank as is.

Will get sand and rock cycling soon and go from there. Looking forward to seeing others give this little tank a try, it's just so darn cool looking I had to give it a shot. :D

Welcome to NR and glad to hear you brought the same tank...I plan on doing an LED as well...I just have no clue how to play with LED's... I'm interested to find someone with knowledge with LED's...I'll keep a look out!

UPDATE: Added a few pics with the lights on...

DSCF1261.jpg

DSCF1263.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg

DSCF1264.jpg

learnchinese.jpg

pimp4cheddar

Well...I just got the email and my Yasha arrives today!!!

Any ideas on how to pair them/acclamate them?

I read different stories that say enter both at the same time and enter the shirmp first and other methods...any insight?

pimp4cheddar
Wow, just wow!

Is this is a good wow...???

:happydance:

Update: I'm in the market for some LED lights...stay tuned my friends!

doubleyouhat

Do you think it would be possible to drill it for a mini overflow in the center and run the tubes down the back or is it just way too small for that?

VVVV Just decided to get into the hobby again.

TheUnfocusedOne
Do you think it would be possible to drill it for a mini overflow in the center and run the tubes down the back or is it just way too small for that?

only 3 posts since 06

:huh:

Wanted to update where I am on my Edge.

-LED MR11 direct replacement lights are in, much bluer color to them.

-Blue LED strip added for moonlight

-5 Pounds of cured Live Rock

-8 Pounds of Live sand

The LED"s I bought are a step up for sure in both brightness and color, they are still very directional like the Halogen spotlights they replaced which at first I didn't like but the shadows are growing on me now vs. having uniform bright lighting throughout the tank.

Here's the first pic.

post-46305-1249845878_thumb.jpg

pimp4cheddar

Nice update DNSREP...i've been looking online for some replacements...

Feel like sharing where you found them? Also...any pics of how you put the LED's in there?

I would like just some pics of the MR11's without the LED's...

Thanks,

PM'd you with some details, here is the comparison of with blue LED's on and off.

Off

post-46305-1249865871_thumb.jpg

On

post-46305-1249865944_thumb.jpg

Really just added them for moonlight.

The MR11's are in the 6000-6500K range I believe vs. somewhere in the 3000's for the original Halogens so there is an instant difference in color tone.

Hope this and the PM I sent helps.

Nice update DNSREP...i've been looking online for some replacements...

Feel like sharing where you found them? Also...any pics of how you put the LED's in there?

I would like just some pics of the MR11's without the LED's...

Thanks,

Didn't put much rocket science into the install...tie wraps, one step up from duct tape!

Was very happy the MR11's went directly into the existing mounts with the original wall transformer, no issues.

post-46305-1249866637_thumb.jpg

I want this tank... I just bought a Nanowave 9 though damnit!

Do you think this thing out of the box can support 1 Frogspawn in the center and 2 clownfish? That's it...

I really like the look of the tank! From yhe pictures it looks bigger than 6 gallons. Good work with the rocks. Looks like a better job than I did. :happy:

pimp4cheddar
I want this tank... I just bought a Nanowave 9 though damnit!

Do you think this thing out of the box can support 1 Frogspawn in the center and 2 clownfish? That's it...

I've never seen the nanowave 9...I looked around a lot before I brought this tank. I was about to order an eclipse right before I saw this...I got lucky with timing.

This thing wouldn't be able to support more than some Green Star Polyps and Zoos....the lighting is horrible. I'm pretty sure it might be able to keep a frogspawn alive...it's a total of 20 watts / 6 gallons gives you 3.3 watts, but I promise the par is horrible.

As for the 2 clowns...no way. That's overstocking the tank big time. I've thought about getting 1 of my clowns in the tank...but they three of them go along so well in my main tank I couldn't see myself parting them...

2 Clowns is too much. You could get away with one false/true percula...but that's really the only clown.

Wanted to post an update on how things are going now that I have life in the tank.

Have added a couple of mushrooms that seem to be adapting very well, also picked up a small acro frag for a real test of these LED's. Indeed I'm likely throwing away $15 but it's a tank raised frag and there is no better test for the lights.

A few snails, a tiny yellow watchman and a small false percula rounds out the stocking. Water quality has been great and everything in the tank seems happy and healthy so far.

Only issue really has been a pesky aiptasia that seems to survive any torture I dish out to it and the frustration of not being able to catch a big bristleworm that is taunting me daily.

Updated photos attached as well.

post-46305-1250477545_thumb.jpgpost-46305-1250477555_thumb.jpg

Archived