ReefCleaners.org

My 6 Gallon Fluval Edge - Office Tank

pimp4cheddar

pimp4cheddar

Well I finally snapped some pictures of the Fluval Edge I received last week.

I saw this tank about 2-3 weeks ago as my LFS was the only place to have this tank in stock before it went on sale... I had a good amount of time to study the tank and really look around, play with it, touch it, taste it...make love to it. It's a very modern tank and it's great.

I ordered the tank and figured I'll read some reviews about the tank online. I read nothing but horrible reviews about it. Everyone had something bad to say from: the tank isn't made with any thought, the hole is too small to clean, the lights suck, the filter sucks, etc... I'll be the first to admit the tank is perfect. The hole at the top is about 7 inches wide and 6 inches long...if you cannot fit your hand in a hole that big you seriously have personally issues.

I got this tank in about 5 days ago...but I've been swamped with work so I haven't had anytime to even take it out the box.

I figured today was the day to get it done! I have to admit, the packaging of the tank was on point. Nothing was out of place or open to air. Every single part was sealed, taped and wrapped along with a ton of padding:

DSCF1215.jpg

DSCF1216.jpg

DSCF1218.jpg

I started to rip everything out and just build the tank on the floor. The setup was extremely easy and simple. Nothing hard and it was put together in about 4 clicks!

DSCF1219.jpg

DSCF1220.jpg

DSCF1226.jpg

DSCF1221.jpg

DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1223.jpg

DSCF1224.jpg

As you can see...the tank is nice and small, but it's great.

Now for the review:

Pros:

-All in one tank

-Totally rimless (in my opinion) which is streamline as hell

-Glass is seamed perfectly (no leftover glue like most tanks)

-Filter is well hidden

-Lights are well hidden

Cons:

-The black body of the tank are cheap plastic (feels cheap, looks good)

-Lights can be noticed from the top cover (there's a metal mesh with holes for heat, but light escapes from there)

Besides that the tank is exactly what I expected. The filter is okay, but I haven't tried it as the tank has not been filled. The filter media is okay if you go fresh water...but I just got the Carbon Pad and will run that in the filter area.

Plans for the tank include:

1 Yashia Goby

1 Pistol Shrimp

PomPom Shrimp (maybe)

Sexy Shrimp

2-3 Snails

2-3 pounds of Live Rock

5-6 pounds of Live Sand

No corals...as the lights aren't much to praise

I'm siked...this guy will be in my office sometime tomorrow. I'll snap pics when it's fully setup.

If you have any questions, ask away!

Thanks,

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pismo_reefer

so my lfs jsut got a ton of these fluval tanks, and ive been dying to set one up. so i cant wait to see how yours looks. it might just be my next upgrade.

akabryanhall

Been thinking of getting one since src. I would like to do a NPS tank, maybe a dendro colony or a showpiece rhyzo. I think you can take the halogens out and replace them with a LED strip.

pimp4cheddar
:wub:

This tank is the sechs!!! Do you mind me asking what you paid for it? :mellow:

Thanks...the tank iself was about $150...

There are cheaper Pico Tanks...but none like this. I thought the price was right on...

Been thinking of getting one since src. I would like to do a NPS tank, maybe a dendro colony or a showpiece rhyzo. I think you can take the halogens out and replace them with a LED strip.

You could...the lights suck, but aren't bad for normal FOWLR tanks...

An LED strip would be pretty cool, but I'm waiting to see someone hardwire in. I suck with electrical work.

if I didnt have too many tanks already I would try one out with an LED setup looks great tho... cant wait to see it grow

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

sweet, been waiting to see this thread up. CONGRATS on the new tank. def. has lots of potential. Just an Idea, but I think it'd be F###ING SWEET if you threw in some non-photosythetic corals as well, not a lot but just an added flare to the tank. YG are pretty cool but IMO Trimma nadeu(Naudes Rubble Goby) or a Eviota albolineata(Spotted fringefin goby) would be the way to go...just some food for thought

pimp4cheddar
cleaning should be a chore.....just sayin.

Cleaning is actually going to be pretty easy...as long as you remove some water from the tank. The hole is big enough that I can stick my entire arm in and reach every corner.

I was worried as well until I received the tank and started playing around with everything.

sweet, been waiting to see this thread up. CONGRATS on the new tank. def. has lots of potential. Just an Idea, but I think it'd be F###ING SWEET if you threw in some non-photosythetic corals as well, not a lot but just an added flare to the tank. YG are pretty cool but IMO Trimma nadeu(Naudes Rubble Goby) or a Eviota albolineata(Spotted fringefin goby) would be the way to go...just some food for thought

Thanks!

I was looking at a few gobies, but I like the Yashia for a few reason: the relationship they have w/ pistol shrimps are awsome, they are rare and probably the coolest looking pico gobies out. I've looked into a few nonphotosynthetic corals like feather dusters and chili corals...I'll probably get 1 or 2 just to add some mix into the tank.

true, wasn't thinking about the pairing nature of YG. and dont forget Dendros:P cant wait to see this tank set up!! where are you going to get your LR? and what colour sand you goin for?

pimp4cheddar
true, wasn't thinking about the pairing nature of YG. and dont forget Dendros:P cant wait to see this tank set up!! where are you going to get your LR? and what colour sand you goin for?

Good point, Dendros are awsome! I will definitely have 1 in there...

I'm stuck with the sand choice. I currently have white sand in my 29 gallon and was thinking of going the same route. As for the rock...I was looking for Marshall but looks like I'll just go with Fiji...mainly 2 long pieces and I should be fine.

Tank is way sexxxy :) . Keep posting pics as you progress. Can you yank that HOB filter and lets say add a AC70? Just wondering.

make sure the peices of LR that you select LR thats got plenty of hiding places for your YG/PS pair but make sure the hiding spots are only one one side so you can position that facing the front...that way you can see them.

White sand will look good, you don't want to overdue it w/ the black all though that could also be promising. A porceline crab could also be an interesting stocking addition

pimp4cheddar

I actually got this from Sea and the City...I believe they had it over at SRC...

That's actually the only fish store I go to...but I may have to cheat for once...I need base rock for this bad boy and they don't carry any.

akabryanhall
An LED strip would be pretty cool, but I'm waiting to see someone hardwire in. I suck with electrical work.

If I'm not mistaken a power bite led strip will fit, no electrical prowess needed

led.jpg

pimp4cheddar

Okay...so in respect to simplicity....I've decided to go with Base Rock and Live Sand.

I do not feel like dealing with any of the "surprises" Live Rock includes.

This being said, I reached out to a LFS who I remembered carried Base Rock. He does not carry base rock...he carries Paradise Rock. It's a tad bit heavier and also solid white...kind of resembles marble.

Should I go with that and just add Live Sand?

Some please advise...I tried looking online and searching NR, I came up short (that's what she said).

Thanks,

I actually got this from Sea and the City...I believe they had it over at SRC...

That's actually the only fish store I go to...but I may have to cheat for once...I need base rock for this bad boy and they don't carry any.

Sea in the City never has anything when I'm in there :( I saw their Fluval Edge display the last time I was in there. Looked nice aside from the lighting.

Not sure which side of town your on but, for base rock, you could try Fishy Business in Longwood/Casselberry. I seem to recall them selling it.

Also, you could seed the base rock with LR Rubble (I know they have tons of it at World Wide Corals, although I'm not sure if they actively sell it).

pimp4cheddar
Sea in the City never has anything when I'm in there :( I saw their Fluval Edge display the last time I was in there. Looked nice aside from the lighting.

Not sure which side of town your on but, for base rock, you could try Fishy Business in Longwood/Casselberry. I seem to recall them selling it.

Also, you could seed the base rock with LR Rubble (I know they have tons of it at World Wide Corals, although I'm not sure if they actively sell it).

That's funny. I feel the same way, but they send an email list of what they receive in and when it gets there...if you wait two days later they'll be sold out and only have Clown Fish...people wait for the email list to be sent out!!!

I like Sea and the City for a ton of reasons: They actually aquaculture 80% of their corals and buy mostly from ORA...plus they can order anything in the world for you. I feel like I get treated right as opposed to WWC or Fishy Business...especially Ocean Direct (I hate that place). WWC won't deal with you unless you spend 1k+.

I'll give Fishy Business a call to see if they have Base Rock...

Does anyone have any thoughts of the "Paradise Rock"?

Tagging along to watch this build. Good luck with it. A goby/shrimp pairing would be very cool in it.

Thanks dude...also, the hopey changey thing is working so far so good :-)

how poroues is the paradise rock. any rock you throw in a tank including cured concrete will become "LR". Its just a matter of time for the bacteria to colonize the new rock. Also depending on the pourosness (even a word?) depends on the available surface aea for the bacteria to live on. ex.Pacific rock is usu. more porous than Atlantic rock, and there for it is recommended to go with at east 2lbs/g of ALR compared to the 1-1.5lbs/g. Either way I don't think it will be too much of a big deal seeing as how a doubt a YG is going to put out a large enough bioload where you have to worry about it, but just something to keep in mind.

pimp4cheddar
how poroues is the paradise rock. any rock you throw in a tank including cured concrete will become "LR". Its just a matter of time for the bacteria to colonize the new rock. Also depending on the pourosness (even a word?) depends on the available surface aea for the bacteria to live on. ex.Pacific rock is usu. more porous than Atlantic rock, and there for it is recommended to go with at east 2lbs/g of ALR compared to the 1-1.5lbs/g. Either way I don't think it will be too much of a big deal seeing as how a doubt a YG is going to put out a large enough bioload where you have to worry about it, but just something to keep in mind.

The paradise rock is freaking solid! It's like a piece of concrete...except all white and full of white powder. I swear it looks like unfinished limestone of some type of mineral rock.

I guess your point of the rock being LIVE over time is right! Good point. I doubt the YG will produce much waste, plus I will have a decent cleanup crew. I just don't want to deal with the (aptastia, green algae, red algae, bristol worms, crazy hitchhikers) that come on live rock...It's an office tank and I won't have the time to figure out how to get rid of some crazy crab that managed it's way into my tank.

I'm going to try another LFS today for Base Rock...if they don't have, Paradise Rock it is.

EDIT: I just called another LFS and they have Base Rock. Turns our Paradise Rock is just dried up rock from South Florida.

The guy told me if I start my tank with only Base Rock it will turn into an algae rock. He said I need Live Rock...I'm not too sure if he's lying or what. I just wanted to go Base Rock with Live Sand...that's all...

Archived