SaltCritters.com

My N. Wennerae

Justind823

Just the cheap incandescent bulbs that come built into the hood so prolly the lower end of the lower spectrum hehe. I've had mine about 1 an a half months so I can't tell if he molted yet since I never seen the shell, but if he did he stayed the same color. I'm trying to see what 50/50 bulbs will fit this hood, but I am definately interested to see what possible color outcome might come from your switch.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was a cool thing to get on camera. His strategy was to pop both front claws off, heres a pic after the first one was punched off:

IMG_2500.jpg

After the second one was off, he whacked him a bunch more times I suppose to stun him and then he just picked him up and walked him to the burrow for the feast. Pretty crazy since the crab is, well was, about the size of him.

th_MVI_2504.jpg

:ninja:

Haha nice, serious ninja skills.

Scott you are a ninja mod....

And the video was awesome I wish i still had a mantis... one day maybe.. one day..

Thanks, what happened to your mantis? Get another! You won't...

TheUnfocusedLove

Awesome. Brian's little girl that I'm watching doesn't like to kill crabs. She just sits there and stares at me all the time (creeper).

Haha well thats cool too, creepy yes, but cool. I honestly can't imagine something that small killing a crab.

He just brought me a whole mess of crabs. Enough food to last a couple months. That is if they don't kill each other by then.

My friend was taking care of it during a move and it died unexplainable under his care. I got mine for free so that means Id have to pay to get another one that wont even be as cool.

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks, get another anyway! Soooo you have to pay for it, it will be worth it! And who know, it might even be cooler than the last...not to crap on his memory or anything :P I'm just saying, they are always cool.

What kind of lighting is your under?

Before I switched the tank over, which was the last time he molted, I had him under a 55w grow bulb. It was mostly for the mangroves. Now he's under a 20w grow bulb, both are the same spectrum but this is less intense so maybe there will be a color change. I have no idea how to get that mottled look back, thats just how he came.

Ok I now have 40w 50/50 light in his 10gal, will let ya know if he changes, would be cool to know the exact amount of light needed to control the color of the molt. Sweet video too!

• 4 weeks later...
Looks nice. As a general rule for N. wennerae, brighter lights tend to make them a bright lime green color while dimmer lights will make them more maroon. I guess the mottled look is somewhere in between. Hope this helps.

I think my N. wennerae is the complete opposite. He went from red to green and I have no light on his tank. He just molted for the first time B)

I think my N. wennerae is the complete opposite. He went from red to green and I have no light on his tank. He just molted for the first time B)

Haha really? That goes against everything I have every heard about them. Mine is still bright green and has molted since I did the light change... We'll see what happens next time

How many weeks should there be between each molt and does anyone know the reason they change colors ? Perhaps it is not the lighting and it is more a camoflage for the environment? I believe the reason when you bought your speciman it was mottled because it came from an area with many colors of corals and after it molted in your tank the color it molted into wasthe most suitable for it's environments camoflage. Another theory is almost the same except instead of the environment difference it is from the multiple wavelengths of light coming from the full spectrum of the sun.

I miss my N.Wennerae. Molts depend on the mantis. Some are every few weeks a some are monthly. Mine didn't molt for the 1st 6 months I had him. They change their colors during a molt based on the tight spectrum. Say if it was red, the mantis came from deeper water were the redder side of the spectrum is more prominent. Then you change their lighting so its a broader spectrum that we use to grow corals they will be greener to blend in.

this is interesting... My O. Scyllaris is currently olive green (more like puke green) but if i changed the bulbs all to actinic blue (right now theyre 10k) what color could he theoretically molt to?

• 2 months later...

ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE AN UPDATE HUH?

pictures--

I wanted to put some coral in the fuge and let them grow like crazy - basically they were getting out of control in the display tank, as these particular coral do. SO I replaced this par20 with some cree's and optics

IMG_2712.jpg

Whats under that light you say?

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

Its pretty messy in here but I don't care- its a mantis fuge

IMG_2714.jpg

Rube's photo shoot - YOU'RE A MONKEY RUBE!

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2717.jpg

:ninja:

IMG_2721.jpg

Blurry head shot's- he's too fast for my point and shoot!

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

Gorg

IMG_2720.jpg

That's it!

For now.

• 3 weeks later...
Justind823
I think it's pretty awesome that you've given Ruby a nice place to live in.

He seems to appreciate it. Especially the live crab feedings that happen at least once a week.

Archived