Pod Your Reef

20L. AIO. foam wall.

glennr1978

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
t minus 6 months before 40 breeder v2.0 :P

looks good man, real good

Haha, no there won't be another 40 breeder in my future. This tank will have to suffice for a couple of years. After that I plan on going big, really big. Probably something in the 300g neighborhood.

Haha, no there won't be another 40 breeder in my future. This tank will have to suffice for a couple of years. After that I plan on going big, really big. Probably something in the 300g neighborhood.

that's what we all say. it's ok, we all understand and won't judge you.

that's what we all say. it's ok, we all understand and won't judge you.

This is true....

Then some of us actually go through with what we have planned.

Glenn how much live rock is in the wall , tank total, and is there a detriation period on the foam after a number of years. Your wall is the way I want to go with my next tank. Seems perfect keepin gobies from burrowing on backside of rocks.

Glen, tank looks great! I'm following along now.

Question for you... how are you attaching to the wall? I don't see any obvious putty.

Glenn how much live rock is in the wall , tank total, and is there a detriation period on the foam after a number of years. Your wall is the way I want to go with my next tank. Seems perfect keepin gobies from burrowing on backside of rocks.

I used roughly 10lbs of lr rubble in the wall itself, and I added about 7lbs of LR to seed the tank. Only time will tell how well the foam holds up. So far I have no complaints, nor have I had any real problems. I do get a slight amount of surface film that I can't seem to get rid of. I cleaned both the skimmer pump and return pump, run carbon, and still have the film....it's wierd. I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with the foam at this point, probably just "new tank syndrome".

Overall I'm very happy with the foam wall, and I'm actually enjoying this tank more than any other I've ever had.

thanks for the great shots glenn!

i especially like the left-side tank shot....

NICE> B)

Thanks man! I agree, the left side does look better than the right side.

Glen, tank looks great! I'm following along now.

Question for you... how are you attaching to the wall? I don't see any obvious putty.

There is a little bit of putty here and there, but I've just used super glue gel for the majority of the frags. There are so many little crevices in the foam wall, mounting frags is easy.

I've had enough, I'm going skimmerless. I started with a Tunze 9002, great skimmer, but produced zero skimmate in my tank. So then I tried a sapphire aquatics skimmer, again no skimmate. Granted I've only had the sapphire runnning for just over 24 hours, but the microbubbles are so bad that I just can't take it.

Both skimmers work perfectly so I'm not sure what the deal is. I suppose it's possible, although not likely, that my tank is just that clean.

I've never attempted keeping SPS without running a skimmer so I'm a little nervous. I'm going to give it a shot, wish me luck.

That must be one killer media rack, not to need a skimmer what are you you running in it.

Cheato, GFO, and ROX 0.8. Yeah, it's wierd, I have no idea why skimmers don't work on my tank....

• 3 weeks later...
I <3 U

Just read your dosing pump thread - Just saved me some major coin and I love your mind... :P

Lol, it's mutual. Without your guidance I may have never figured out how important magnesium is to SPS. That little dosing pump system worked very well for me. Unfortunately this tank requires such small amounts of alk & ca that i cannot use that system.

I figure I'm about due for a tank update....

A couple of weeks ago I started having serious issues with the tank and could not figure out what the problem was. Then I found out what happened to my tank.... Unfortunately my wife sprayed air freshener right next to the tank and obviously some of it made it's way in. I lost all of my snails, a cleaner shrimp, a 6 line wrasse, and my $120 unbelievably blue maxima clam :( . After 6 days in a row of 20% water changes things are back to normal.

I took a couple pics with my phone of what my tank looks like today.

002.jpg

006.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

Just got this guy yesterday.

005.jpg

FTS.

001-1.jpg

Well, I like our 'give & take' relationship lol.

Sorry to hear about your losses - and such a lame way to have them come about :(

I must say though, that plate is quite perdy!

Well, I like our 'give & take' relationship lol.

Sorry to hear about your losses - and such a lame way to have them come about :(

I must say though, that plate is quite perdy!

Yeah it sucked. Would've been worse if I would have lost my clownfish. I've had those guys for going on 4 years so I'm pretty attached to them.

That plate is from gulf coast reef (local to me and also a sponsor here). They have an AMAZING facility that is only trumped by their livestock. Oh yeah, their prices are unbelievable as well.

Yeah it sucked. Would've been worse if I would have lost my clownfish. I've had those guys for going on 4 years so I'm pretty attached to them.

That plate is from gulf coast reef (local to me and also a sponsor here). They have an AMAZING facility that is only trumped by their livestock. Oh yeah, their prices are unbelievable as well.

Too bad I'm on the other side of the border! lol.

Archived