Top Shelf Aquatics

20L. AIO. foam wall.

glennr1978

I'm sorry glenn, I know we don't disagree often but I really feel I should correct you on something...

Those are not True Percs, they are very clearly False Ocellaris... Beautiful ones at that! Just trying to keep things accurate ;)

(hahaha I'm tired of ocellaris being given the demeaning title of "false perc" - maybe it's the percs that are false dammit!)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry glenn, I know we don't disagree often but I really feel I should correct you on something...

Those are not True Percs, they are very clearly False Ocellaris... Beautiful ones at that! Just trying to keep things accurate ;)

(hahaha I'm tired of ocellaris being given the demeaning title of "false perc" - maybe it's the percs that are false dammit!)

Really, how can you tell? I don't really care much, I like them regardless. They were sold to me as true percs though.

Really, how can you tell? I don't really care much, I like them regardless. They were sold to me as true percs though.

Glenn, re-read my post... lol

True Perc = False Ocellaris

Maybe I should stop making bad jokes... :huh:

Glenn, re-read my post... lol

True Perc = False Ocellaris

Maybe I should stop making bad jokes... :huh:

I'm the one on the right, you're the one on the left :slap: .

Very nice! Any problems with the rock wall? I've heard stories of them leaching phosphates, but your tank seems so clean. Sorry about the losses. That plate is slick though!

True Percula usually have thicker black lines around their white "bars" or stripes.

True Percula have 10 (sometimes 9) dorsal spines

Ocellaris has really thin black lines around their bars

Ocellaris has 11 (sometimes 10) dorsal spines

Its a PITA to tell them apart honestly. Sometimes you can obviously tell, sometimes its a guessing game.

Very nice! Any problems with the rock wall? I've heard stories of them leaching phosphates, but your tank seems so clean. Sorry about the losses. That plate is slick though!

So far, so good. The rockwall hasn't caused any problems at all as far as I can tell. If it does leach po4 I would likely never know since I run GFO.

Air Freshener Fatalities or not....

Tank looks great man!

:D

sorry bout yer $$$Maxi.... :(

Thanks! Yeah, losing that clam definitely sucked.

Tanks looking good Dude. Perhaps I should just set up my 20 again...lol. NOT!

DO IT!

i'm usually not a fan of rock wall tanks, but this was done in excellent taste. very nice!

Thanks!

Your tank looks great, that's awful about your losses. I bet your wife felt really bad...

I never told her that she likely killed the things that died. I just asked her if she had sprayed air freshener in our room because there was some overspray on our dresser (which is less than 6" away from the tank). She said she did, and I left it at that. However, I did remind her that spraying chemicals near the tank can potentially cause alot of problems. I'm sure she put together the pieces, and I highly doubt that it will happen again.

Hey, came over to check out the lights. Can you post a shot of them? Did you get the mh fixtures that have the t5's in them as well for actinic or are you running a separate fixture altogether for the t5s?

Hey, came over to check out the lights. Can you post a shot of them? Did you get the mh fixtures that have the t5's in them as well for actinic or are you running a separate fixture altogether for the t5s?

I tried to get a decent pic of my lights inside the fixture but it didn't go very well. There just isn't much room to work with between the suspended canopy and the top of the tank.

I'm running a pair of these retro kits from hellolights.com, and a 24" Icecap SLR T5 retro kit (2 bulb). It is definitely a tight fit, but it works well for me. You can see from my FTS pics that the light spreads over the entire tank evenly.

Here's a really bad pic of how the canopy looks suspended over the tank. I've since cleaned up the wiring and it looks alot better.

photo20-1.jpg

I want to put a mp10 in my 20L tank Since you have owned a mp20 also do you thank the mp10 would also be enough flow for a 40 breeder when I upgrade . The 40 will only be a lps tank

I want to put a mp10 in my 20L tank Since you have owned a mp20 also do you thank the mp10 would also be enough flow for a 40 breeder when I upgrade . The 40 will only be a lps tank

Yeah I think an mp20 would be fine if you don't want alot of sps. Honestly, I really do think an mp10 would be enough. As I've said before, I think the only advantage the mp20 has over the mp10 is the upgrageability. I really don't think the mp20 is any more powerful than an mp10.

Archived