Top Shelf Aquatics

Crab hitchhiker Id help

Drew220

Found this guy chillin on my new live rock. I went ahead and isolated him until i get an idea if he's reef safe or not. Any help would be appreciated. He has small claws BTW.

HitchhikerCrab1.jpg

HitchhikerCrab2.jpg

I was about to say, it really looks like a female fiddler. Very uncommon hitcher, to be honest I've never seen another like it when it wasn't added intentionally. The smiley face is a plus for personality. I'd say keep it in the fuge, very cool.

Found him. This place calls him a Red Burrowing crab. I wish I had a fuge to put him in.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/2819/product.web

SPECIFIC GRAVITY RANGE 1.019 - 1.024

MAXIMUM SIZE 3"

PH RANGE 7.8 - 8.6

TEMPERATURE RANGE 72 - 84

DIFFICULTY Easy

ORIGIN Indo-Pacific

VENOMOUS No

RESTRICTED No

DIET Omnivore

COMMON NAME Red Burrowing Crab

SCIENTIFIC NAME Uca sp.

REEF SAFE Yes

Throw him on eBay, and say the face is Jesus!!! :happydance:

Sorry... He looks awesome!

hmmm. A little paint should do the trick :ninja: . One problem I see with her so far, is that she likes to bury under the rocks which could make my formation unstable. Thanks for the help guys.

my lfs has a tone of those guys and he says they are more like a hermit crab than an emerald crap... anyway i say keep him. However they do climb up the glass :lol:

RockinSmall

i'd leave him in the display.. most crabs r fine... dont know why everyone wants to toss misc crabs they find... i love the odd critters and havent had any issues...

i'd leave him in the display.. most crabs r fine... dont know why everyone wants to toss misc crabs they find... i love the odd critters and havent had any issues...

most crabs are not fine. many crabs will eat your corals and/or kill other tank mates that you spent good money for.

Yeah I don't trust him with corals. I am keeping him until the cycle is done. Then I'm going to see if the LFS will take him.

Speechless! That crab is amazing! I'd set up a 5.5g for that sucker. With some LR.

Also the claws aren't big and vicious, probably not a fish eater, but it may be a coral picker.

the claws aren't big and vicious, probably not a fish eater, but it may be a coral picker.

i'm not sure that's accurate. i've seen sally lightfoot crabs lunge out after close swimming fish, and they have small claws too. i've also had large emerald crabs (with big claws) that didn't want anything to do with a fish swimming by. all crabs are opportunistic feeders. it's a fact. ;)

Archived