Cultivated Reef

Kraylen & Lulufoxx present..... "The Ghost Box" ... Presented in VIDEO.

Kraylen

StartPositions.png

Ahhh yes, finally.

Tank is a TRUVU Aquasystem6, I picked up the tank, lights, heater and powerhead for 20 bucks. I spent a few days and several beers buffing and polishing the tank out, damn euro brace is hard to work around!

Rocks a Current 38w PC fixture... will be switched to a 70w halide or a custom LED fixture depending on how cheap I come across a 70mh for... LEDs are expensive!

Modded maxijet1200 for a return, no heater so far.. temps stay pretty decent for a outdoor tank.

Woman and I spent a few days over this last week selecting live rock rubble pieces and slowly building up a solid aquascape. For the base pieces we used some purple epoxy to build a strong foundation, after the epoxy set I drizzled liquid superglue in the cracks and contact points to ensure strength.

Throughout the day we would go outside to smoke a cigarette or whatever and glue a few pieces in. Since the tank was dry and it was outside so... a good 15 minutes was good enough between scape. I wanted the tank to have the big tank look in photos but still be a pico. I was tired of seeing the traditional 2-5 rock picos that looked like someone just dropped the boulders in. I look at it this way, a 55 gallon with 3 giant rocks would be ugly. My 55 gallon reef has alot of smaller rocks in it also.

This pico has about 200 pieces of rock in it. :)

I was thinking about many different types of fish/inverts to stock. I really want to do several nano gobies or a few barnacle blennies. A pair of flaming prawns would be cool. Sexy shrimp, pom poms all that jazz is considered as well. Im open to all suggestions so let me know! I hate clown gobies so those are a no go.

Here is the first video of The Ghost Box.

P7090232.jpg

The first batch of rubble I pulled to start with...

P7090234.jpg

Used a old nylon to rinse some dead sand out so I could have a fresh bed for the pico...

P7090238.jpg

Oh #### left some polishing compound in the corner...

P7090240.jpg

Little bit more sand...

P7090243.jpg

...and BAM!... sandbed.

P7090245.jpg

Stage one of the rockwork. Heavy pieces on bottom... epoxy in the corners for insurance.... left to cure overnight. DONT ####ING TOUCH IT OR MOVE THE TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is like playing operation on a plane during turbulence and if you lose the game you get stabbed in the arm. Right?

P7090248.jpg

Wake up... smoke a cig... add more rubble.... the smell of super glue, live rock, cigarette and coffee just makes my morning.

P7090251.jpg

Top down view so far...

P7100260.jpg

Adding more and more rubble over time... lots and lots of super glue.... LOTS of super glue... you dont understand, I used like 1 tube per two pieces of rubble this thing is toxic like bum under garments.

P7130349.jpg

Some close up shots of some of the pieces... lots of little places for critters and tiny fish to hang out.

P7130351.jpg

Picture a tiny goby or barnacle blenny just chillin.

P7130352.jpg

Look at that superglue just stalagmite it up like a beast. Thats solid baby. I dont know if it is a plus or not that my fixed rockwork cant be removed from the pico. Makes moving easy!

P7140387.jpg

...and that is the beginning of The Ghost Box....

and for lmfaos.

hawkpiercing.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice rockscape!

No sound on the video? Also, all for 20$? Nice....flaming prawns (pair of course) porcelain crab, fancy electric blue or orange hermits, super nice corals. Yup, that would be sweet...

I think Im gonna stick with mushrooms and zoas in this one. Reason being is I can frag alot of little pieces and stuff them in the micro-rockwork and have them grow in together nice with minimal conflict. I like the way mush and zoa look grown in together. I can also put baller polyps in here and grow in some sick combo colonies. Im going for a future TOTM with this one since I dont think the 55 meet requirements.

I said "One 20" as in one bill. Now don't reply to this thread. If you want to respond PM me or edit your post. Thanks.

Looks good man. I like the rock. It really does look bigger than it is. It will look great completely covered in softies.

Thanks Few ;) Its gonna be cool because the tank is on my work bench where I frag and what not so when Im cutting zoas and shrooms I can hook the pico up with a piece of everything since a few polyps go a long way in a tank like this. I plan on showering the bottom with mushroom pedals as the tank cycles.

Dude, you definatly pulled of the large look in a small package. It seriously looks just like a 60 column I ran across a while back.

I need to get my girl in to reefing haha. That would be awesome.

Now, I know the tank couldn't be as diverse, but I'll be the first to say it would be an awesome little mantis tank. Just a thought, pom poms and sexies would be equally cool.

Yes red headed gobies are awesome! I wouldnt mind something that would potentially spawn.

I really wanted a mantis tank with this pico but after buffing it out and doing all the work I gotta do a pico reef.

Thanks man, Im a fuccin beast what can I say.

I should have gotten a picture of all the glue tubes used. When I would put my face over the tank to check stuff my eyes would almost burn out of my head!

ill edit some pictures of the build and a FTS in a minute, gotta head out to the garage first :)

Yeah I was also amazed at that. I thought for sure I would mess the tank up.... however, I did manage to get a drop of glue on the left side of the tank but you can only really see the front of the tank the way its k-cornered on the work bench. Not even noticeable.

Looks sweet kraylen. Will there be no toxins from the glue that leech into the water? What glue would you use to fix corals in place?

Archived