• An SPS
    • How bout some LPS
    • Keep to softies
    • MORE ZOAS

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LivingStrong08

OK All, here are a few pictures of weird looking things I have found... So my question is... What are these? Harmful?

Thanks! B)

Yellow Circle thing...

Whatisthiscloseup.jpg

seriously, looks like sperm.. Sorry.. Best description I can think of right now...

Whatisthiswhiteslime.jpg

Looks good, bud, you should clean the glass though, you can get plastic razor blades at lee valley (or ebay i'm sure) - those work great. If you let the algae sit on the glass it can become extremely difficult to remove. The circle is most likely a zoanthid, doesn't look like a pesky one but if they start multiplying rapidly (like a new one showing up every day) you can worry as it could be aptasia. The sperm is most likely your own jizz from looking at your awesome set up.

Check out my tank and give me some thoughts on my rockwork i'm having trouble figuring out what to do with it.

LivingStrong08

Update.. lol..

Tank is getting better slowly but surly... =)

I will pick up a glass scraper today at my LFS, however I ordered my MagFloat (small) and the Portable Refractometer from Dr.Foster Smith today.

I went with the magfloat, because Chris Marks recommended one that floated if it falls off... Make's perfect sense to me. =)

I'll post pics after I clean up the glass a bit, still waiting on my tests to come so I can start testing parameters!

B)

The sperm is most likely your own jizz from looking at your awesome set up.

Thanks my friend!! You crack me up!!

I am trying to find your tank thread! Add it to your signature to make it easy for us noob's! :lol:

Lots of rock man... you're going to find much more than that :D

Looks like a sponge in the second pic, and I can't tell from the first pic. So far so good, but clean your sides with a mag float - and never hurts to start testing already. Everything looks fairly normal to me.

LivingStrong08
Lots of rock man... you're going to find much more than that :D

Looks like a sponge in the second pic, and I can't tell from the first pic. So far so good, but clean your sides with a mag float - and never hurts to start testing already. Everything looks fairly normal to me.

JL, what up bud!!

Yea, my wife and I have been nose to the tank finding tons of cool stuff!! My dad comes over from time to time and is fascinated on the cycle of life in this tank (especially in such a very small time). Tonights plan is definitley glass cleanup, and any top off that may be needed. I didn't get a chance to remove the false floor last night in chamber two, but I will when I order the rack from StevieT I guess..

JL you know where I can find pics or instructions for widing the flow for chamber 1 to 2, for a filled tank.. I have searched with no avail....

B)

Turn the pumps off and just heat a butter knife up to cut the plastic tab off. I just got one question why are you putting a chiller on your cube? My 29 has never went over 88.

Brad

LivingStrong08
Turn the pumps off and just heat a butter knife up to cut the plastic tab off. I just got one question why are you putting a chiller on your cube? My 29 has never went over 88.

Brad

Brad,

Great question, first I really think it would be smart for me, I live in Mesa, Az and the temps are 114 today and we are barley starting summer. My home is kept around 74-76 degrees, however in the winter that is easily at 80-82 degrees with the heater.. (Yes it gets cold in AZ for us, lol)

So, being that most corals need 72-78 water temp.. I am just being safe..

Make sense?

LivingStrong08

Update 7/15/09

Phew, Day 13

Took your advice and ordered and cleaned the glass Algae. All my LFS were closed, so I had to go to Petsmart and get their Top Fin Long-Handled Aquarium Cleaning Tool. (My magfloat and Refcractometer will be here on the 20th. My tests around the same or sooner.

Tank looks so much better now. Thank you very much for recommending this to me. It was my first time ever doing that, so I basically scraped and scrubbed glass, ngthen I sucked up huge pieces with my turkey baster… I didn’t get everything, but I will get better.

See pics below:

Day13FFTS.jpg

Grass like..

Day14longAlgae.jpg

ID’s?

Day14Anenome.jpg

Day14Slimestuff.jpg

Thanks for reading all! B)

Update.. lol..

Tank is getting better slowly but surly... =)

I will pick up a glass scraper today at my LFS, however I ordered my MagFloat (small) and the Portable Refractometer from Dr.Foster Smith today.

I went with the magfloat, because Chris Marks recommended one that floated if it falls off... Make's perfect sense to me. =)

I'll post pics after I clean up the glass a bit, still waiting on my tests to come so I can start testing parameters!

B)

Thanks my friend!! You crack me up!!

I am trying to find your tank thread! Add it to your signature to make it easy for us noob's! :lol:

Updated sig, click the pic. Just started a new tank so not a whole lot to see...

TANK LOOKS A LOT BETTER.

anyone know the nutritional benefits of tank jizz? I'm thinking about setting some up in mine.

LivingStrong08
anyone know the nutritional benefits of tank jizz? I'm thinking about setting some up in mine.

lol!! =) So much for a protein skimmer!

Damn, I need to get hi-tech and get a Bad A$$ sig like yours! PaintShop Pro?

Yes, the tank looked sooo much better last night after clean up, phew.. :)

Hoping my tests come in soon, kicking myself for not ordering these early so I could start testing!

Tank is looking good. Picture one is aptasia. Nuke it with a syringe with joes juice or you can use lemon juice. I have no idea what that smurf jizz is in picture 2 LMAO. I got your mediabasket packed up it will ship tomorrow morning. I had to wait till I got my new one from InTank. It came yesterday so I have yours packed up and ready to go. I cleaned it up. Might still be a little fish poop here or there give it a good rinse. :D

Brad

LivingStrong08
Tank is looking good. Picture one is aptasia. Nuke it with a syringe with joes juice or you can use lemon juice. I have no idea what that smurf jizz is in picture 2 LMAO. I got your mediabasket packed up it will ship tomorrow morning. I had to wait till I got my new one from InTank. It came yesterday so I have yours packed up and ready to go. I cleaned it up. Might still be a little fish poop here or there give it a good rinse. :D

Brad

Thats what I was hoping it wasn't, I have like three of these nasty things so far.. Bummer..

Wahoo!!! I will clean it up for sure!!

Thanks Brad!

Hey man.

So again, looks like you got plenty of sponges in the tank - and your rock seems very similar to mine, so I could see why (mine's from Jakarta but who cares).

Anyways, that one picture looks like an Aiptasia - get on it as soon as you can, because if you wait you'll start to notice a spread. You can get rid of them by injecting/smothering them with Aiptasia-X, Aiptasia Control, lemon juice, Joe's Juice (if they sell it in AZ), boiling water... the list goes on - just handle it asap.

As for the tank cleanup - looks real good. Once you get a good CUC (think reefcleaners.org, trust me) they'll take care of the stuff down low by the sand bed - don't bother getting that with a mag scrub unless you take your time and constantly check for any sand getting in the scrubber cause you don't want to get even one scratch on your glass if you can help it.... unlike me.

As for widening the gap between chamber 1 and 2 - do it. I used an exacto-knife/utility knife which I gotta be honest wasn't all that great, but it worked - blade was too thin, probably would have worked better with possibly a butter knife just keep an eye on the mess.

With that much rock, REALLY keep an eye out for hitchhiking crabs... just a warning =)

If you have any questions just me a pm sometimes I don't check threads until they're right on the main page, and I check my email a lot.

LivingStrong08
Hey man.

So again, looks like you got plenty of sponges in the tank - and your rock seems very similar to mine, so I could see why (mine's from Jakarta but who cares).

Anyways, that one picture looks like an Aiptasia - get on it as soon as you can, because if you wait you'll start to notice a spread. You can get rid of them by injecting/smothering them with Aiptasia-X, Aiptasia Control, lemon juice, Joe's Juice (if they sell it in AZ), boiling water... the list goes on - just handle it asap.

As for the tank cleanup - looks real good. Once you get a good CUC (think reefcleaners.org, trust me) they'll take care of the stuff down low by the sand bed - don't bother getting that with a mag scrub unless you take your time and constantly check for any sand getting in the scrubber cause you don't want to get even one scratch on your glass if you can help it.... unlike me.

As for widening the gap between chamber 1 and 2 - do it. I used an exacto-knife/utility knife which I gotta be honest wasn't all that great, but it worked - blade was too thin, probably would have worked better with possibly a butter knife just keep an eye on the mess.

With that much rock, REALLY keep an eye out for hitchhiking crabs... just a warning =)

If you have any questions just me a pm sometimes I don't check threads until they're right on the main page, and I check my email a lot.

JL!

What up Bud!

Thanks for stoppin by, I am always looking for threats in the tank, I think I have a small Zoa colonie gorwing in, and I mean small, now I could be wrong, but we will see.. I don't have high end camera, so I can't get close enough for a pic.. But that will be down the road.. lol..

I plan on going to a few LFS and looking for Joe's Juice, I like the fact that it comes complete, I take it if I order online it could be to late right??

As for the flow, I guess I just wasn't sure what to cut, but I can see now, instead of the wall in the middle, you cut the remaining tab (towards the tank). I will use a hot kife with my pumps off to complete this.

I want to start tetsing the water before I through any CUC in there... Make sense?

Thanks JL!

They don't sell Joe's Juice in Cali cause it's a "pesticide" but if you can get it at your LFS I would do that. I'm not saying if you don't do it now you will be forever be sorry, but it's a get on it when you can sort of a deal - I waited a day or two longer than I should have and then acted quick cause I saw another growing heh!

I'm not sure what wall you're referring to from that last post, but what you want to do is cut the end of the divider wall/tab that separates chamber 1 from chamber 2. In my tank, I got my big ol' stealth heater in chamber 1 and then Stevie's media box and fuge in chamber 2 - it flows through the grates in chamber 1 and over the tab into the second chamber where my media box is. To increase the flow, I just cut about an inch and a half off the top so the water level wouldn't have to raise so high to get into the second chamber - the flow is less restricted and creates less of a waterfall effect from dropping an inch and a half higher.

Also take out the sponge between chambers 2 and 3 before the return pump (if you haven't changed the return pump yet) as it will be better in the long run.

Brad,

Great question, first I really think it would be smart for me, I live in Mesa, Az and the temps are 114 today and we are barley starting summer. My home is kept around 74-76 degrees, however in the winter that is easily at 80-82 degrees with the heater.. (Yes it gets cold in AZ for us, lol)

So, being that most corals need 72-78 water temp.. I am just being safe..

Make sense?

Yes I guess not everyone keeps the AC at 68. :D I forgot you lived in the desert.

Brad

Joe's Juice is considered a pesticide in California? You can't buy pesticides in California? Pesticide laws in Indiana are as follows. You have to be licensed to apply a pesticide for hire/money or gain. But you can put as much on your lawn or insecticide as you want on your own property as long as you don't do more than the bottle states.

LivingStrong08
Yes I guess not everyone keeps the AC at 68. :D I forgot you lived in the desert.

Yea, I would be able to by a pretty nice chiller for what my AC bill would be if I kept my house at 68. lol!

I am pretty sure we are good on pesticides here, but who knows.. I will find out when I go to the LFS.

Wayhoo! Get home from work and “right on” my tests are here! =) Didn’t get a chance to test till really late, but here are the results… I also took a few pics today as well..

This was my first ever aquarium water test, so I was really careful.. lol.. What do you think of the results? This is day 14. I will start researching to where my results have to be for a CUC.

Results:

Nitrate: 0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

High Range PH: 7.8

Phosphate: 0

Calcium: 19 – 380

KH: 6 dkh (107.4)

Day14FirstTese.jpg

A few tank snaps:

Day14Dusters.jpg

:)

Oh, found about 4 little star fish.. Here is the only one I could get a decent picture with…

Day14SeeinStars.jpg

Pretty Cool!

Thanks for checking! B)

LivingStrong08

So, correct me if I am wrong please.. But these test results aren't too bad.. Looks like (from what I see) my PH is low, and my Alkalinity is low as well..

Any suggestions?

Hey, your tank is looking good so far. One question, was your liverock cured before you put it in? I don't remember reading that so I asked. Your test results look good to me, but I would give it another week or two of constant readings of good water parameters before you add anything.

As for the pH, you mentioned you tested your water really late. I heard that pH can drop at night sometimes.

Good luck with the tank!

LivingStrong08
Hey, your tank is looking good so far. One question, was your liverock cured before you put it in? I don't remember reading that so I asked. Your test results look good to me, but I would give it another week or two of constant readings of good water parameters before you add anything.

As for the pH, you mentioned you tested your water really late. I heard that pH can drop at night sometimes.

Good luck with the tank!

Hey, thanks for stoppin by. B)

Yes, my LR was cured, this ad's to a quicker cycle right?

Good advice, I will wait a few days before adding a CUC, I am planning on looking at Reefcleaners, for my cuc.. =)

I am hoping to have some corals, MAYBE a fish or two by August first. =)

Yes test look good for not doing a water change yet. I would say you are cycled. Time for a waterchange and CUC. Or did I miss it do you have a CUC yet? Your low levels of KH and calcium because you need a waterchange. Your readings of akalinity and calcium will go up after changing some water.Try to get that calcium up to around 460. Get the KH up to 10 or 12. Getting your KH up will help your PH from swinging back and forth. A low or high PH is better than a PH that swings. After you do a waterchange if levels don't come up you might need to get a 2 part I suggest B-onic I use it and love it. Test your ph in middle of the day or after lights are on for a while.Shake the heck out of the Nitrate bottle 2 and shake the heck out of the nitrate test tube with thumb on the bottom of the tube and one finger on top squezing it because the API caps suck. Sorry if you knew alot of this just wanting to help out.

Have a good night my friend

Brad

EDIT

I would suggest just making you own clean up crew. I have 15 Nassaurius snails for the sandbed,10 maragrita snails for the glass,5 astrea snails, 2 electric blue leg hermits,4 red scarlett hermits. They do a heck of a job on my cube.

LivingStrong08
Shake the heck out of the Nitrate bottle 2 and shake the heck out of the nitrate test tube with thumb on the bottom of the tube and one finger on top squezing it because the API caps suck. Sorry if you knew alot of this just wanting to help out.

EDIT

I would suggest just making you own clean up crew. I have 15 Nassaurius snails for the sandbed,10 maragrita snails for the glass,5 astrea snails, 2 electric blue leg hermits,4 red scarlett hermits. They do a heck of a job on my cube.

Wow. Excellent information and thank you so much... This is literally my first tank that I have had, I had a 30 gallon growing up, but my brother took care of that. So any information is definitley helpful.. so thank you!

I will be checking different sites for a CUC, I love color, so I will use your suggestion and find ones that have the most color. =)

Thanks Brad!

Man those rocks are dope.

Thanks!! I love em to!! Just have to take some out this week.. Too much rock! =)

Archived