Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody else had some more pictures of info on some of the skimmers that we can use in the solana. What do you guys think is the best skimmer out there, the Sapphire Aquatic, the Euro-Reef Nano, or the Tunze Nano doc 9002. I'm thinking about buy one of those this week so pls give me some good info about then..... If you have some pics of the skimmate pls post it. Thanks again

Go for the sapphire!!! VERY well made. Takes 2 minutes to install, super quiet and works very very well!!!

What does StevieT's mod'd cup do? Also, why doesn't the magnet work? haha sorry for all the questions.. I am just thinking about ordering one of these sometime in the next week.

It allows the skimmer it fit in chamber 1 without the cup sticking above the top of the tank. In terms of the magnet, it is located on the side of the unit, so it would have to live in chamber 2 - which is a PITA to get in there to adjust the tunze to the right height.

Edited by lachapr
Go for the sapphire!!! VERY well made. Takes 2 minutes to install, super quiet and works very very well!!!

+1 very quiet, and no stick up on top!

Put me on the list please..bought a used 34 gallon Solana 3 wks ago and just ended my cycle.

I'm also a newb to the hobby, so hoping to learn as much as possible from this place!

haha. welcome and to be able to put you on the list. you need to make a thread page about your solana first then i can added you on the list. thanks! :)

haha. welcome and to be able to put you on the list. you need to make a thread page about your solana first then i can added you on the list. thanks! :)

will be making a thread as soon as i get pics. thanks. ill let you know when that happens

SpankythePyro

Just ordered mind.

I'm process of selling old equipment and getting...

Sunpod, Tek, or ATI fixture, Stand, Skimmer, MP10? (downgrade from 40), umm what else? Oh I need new rock (going marco)

Ok im in a dilemma, I decided not to do the two pump idea for a refugium. I still dont have room for a HOB or gravity fed refugium. That leaves me with one option and thats to have an external overflow box running gravity to the refugium and a pump to return water to the display. My question to you Solana owners like me is if that pump fails it seems like the overflow would continue to put water into the refugium b/c the main pump would still keep the water level in the display at the level of the overflow box. My LFS says no because the water level in the display would drop however they don't seem to understand that it wouldn't if the main pump was still operational. I am speaking as though the refugium pump broke not as if there was a power outage that I understand would lower the water level in the display. Any help would be great, pics would be better.

Those of you with skimmers... I am looking at the remora c because I hear that works really well. But question for you... I currently never have any raise in nitrates or any problem with water quality because I do weekly water changes and cleaning. Do you think spending the money is worth it? Or should I invest that money in more corals?

SpankythePyro

not worth it is you don't have testable nitrates (make sure you test kit is not expired). Your corals need nitrates/phosphates to grow, take even the small bits away from them just slows things down

this is my solana

with 35 pounds of live rock and 20 lbs of sand

after cycle

post-46392-1255397983_thumb.jpg

That is one nice looking rock scape you got there. how did you got yours to hold it up like that. The rocks look like it have alot of life on it. Great job man!

thanks d espresso i just kind of messed around with the rock work untill i found one that i liked and alot of the reason it stays up is because i put alot of apoxy on it and really there is only like four or five main peices of live rock so that also made it easier

it's current nova extreme pro, but I think it's not strong enough for SPS. I lost 1 blue tip acro, maybe because my tank is still young, will try again next year.

whats the name of the light u have bxz

thx atlweb, guess i'm lucky :P

damn bxz, how do you get your frogspawn so happy?

Tank is beautiful. Mine has been up for almost 3 months, I will post updates soon.

Nice to see the setup. btw, the color with the NEP is better than I expected. Heres a pik of mine with my reefcleaner rocks, and a couple of Naked clowns(my daughter made me do it! lol).

-Mike B)

1012091744.jpg

Wow, that is looking clean +1 for the Naked clowns.. mine is half naked. haha

A friend of mine has that same fixture over his Solana and he put two powerbrite LED strips strapped onto the sides of the light so he gets good shimmer. Just thought i'd toss that out there, it looks really cool!

Hmmm.. maybe i should give that a try but i am still waiting for evilc66 Sunpod LEDs..

Looks great Mike!

I got my Nova today. Unfortunately my Coralife Aqualight LED moonlight shipped separately and won't be here until the end of the week. So I won't be able to test that out. But the Nova works great!

Congrats. NOW GET THAT THING FILL HER UP!!! :)B):lol:

I fell into the Twilight Reef Zone. I have a Solana and a Salt and Pepper Schnauzer

POST some pic. we would all like to check it out. Welcome to the thread!

Our solana's been running for 5 and a half months now. All stock equipment except DIY ATO. Here's the latest FTS.

76.jpg

:)

bxz

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This is one of the best i've ever seen. Wonder what will your solana look like in person. you must of be proud of your reef. Good Job bro.

thx d'Espresso for starting this thread, it's nice we have a solana community now.

I hope I will keep it up and wait till the corals cover all the rocks. My wife told me to stop adding any more corals. I think she's right, what i need now is patience and time. I personally like watching it 3 feet away, water is clear and whole tank colorful. Our tank is just next to our dining table, I like to turn off the light and have dinner with my wife, haven't tried lighting a candle, I'm sure it's even more romantic. Normally I would be sitting across the table and spend half an hour watching them before the lights go off. It's the best hobby I have so far and I think it'll always be.

BTW your tank looks very nice too, it's so clean and reminds me of ezcompany's solana. Very impressive with those SPSs. I'm planning to do some upgrade on my light so one day I can put some more SPSs. My tank is also bare bottom, but how come ur bottom is so clean without any algae? Mine was filled with so much algae the 3rd month I have to manually put my snails there to clean it up.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

This is one of the best i've ever seen. Wonder what will your solana look like in person. you must of be proud of your reef. Good Job bro.

SpankythePyro

broad is MH, targeted is T5HO.

and yea I know but its an hr drive to this guy. It looks structually sound but I don't really know. I would need to get new hinges as well.

Edited by SpankythePyro