Cultivated Reef

The Official All Solana Owner's Thread

d'Espresso

Personally, I am not a big fan of chromis. I would go with something more beautiful / peaceful and then progressively get more aggressive. Personally, my spotted mandarin is my favorite fish right now. He is hard to keep but he is such a cool fish. I also love leopard wrasses, and flasher wrassers are pretty cool too.

I really like angels, so that is a cool idea... but you got to be careful with the kind of corals you are adding / no clams and other crabs that the angels will demolish.

I like hawk fish too, but they are more aggressive.

Well I would like to have a schooling fish. :(

And I've had a mandarin before but I won't again as they don't take tank moves too well and this tank will be moved in the future.

Well I would like to have a schooling fish. :(

And I've had a mandarin before but I won't again as they don't take tank moves too well and this tank will be moved in the future.

Im not sure where to put this question, I hope here is ok.

I received a MP 10 today. I would like to put it in the 2nd chamber of my solana as apparently most do.

question 1:

dry dock why? so IF the water rises in that chamber the pump is protected?

question 2: has anyone ever considered putting the pump in a zip lock freezer bag? freezer bags are water tight and the thinness would allow the pump to still hold aginst the magnet? just make sure the zip lock area is above the tank water line? anyone see a reason this would not work??

Thanks shan

there was a guy on RC who used a ziplock freezer bag. Utlimately its really what you trust more dry dock or freezer bag.

Its to prevent the pump from getting water damage when return pump is turned off or if water is splashed over the side

I did try using the freezer zip lock bag one time and boy oh boy i FFFF it up big time. i was very upset at myself for trying the zip lock back method. I left the bag there for one day after receiving it in the mail the day before. it was going all good until it rain that day that the power line went out at my apartment. i came home to a soaked brand new MP20 being dead. So i didn't seal it tight because i thought the motor needed air circulation in to keep it from getting hot.

So yeah i don't recommend you trying that ziplock freezer bag. The drydock was the same and that is why i am guessing why stevie t does not make them anymore. :(

I just got a moonlight attachment today. Seriously the best $40 I ever spent. The colors the corals give off under that thing are incredible. Anddddd it makes a good night light too :)

I just got a moonlight attachment today. Seriously the best $40 I ever spent. The colors the corals give off under that thing are incredible. Anddddd it makes a good night light too :)

Where's the pictures of your moonlight?

haha I have two tests this week, so I don't have too much time to snap pictures, but this weekend I will definitely put some up!

so espresso, is having the MP on the side the best place?

To answer that question, I am positive that it is a good location to leave the mp on the side plus you don't have to worry about your mp being flooded.

Do you guys think adding a mp10 on the bottom side of the tank will be to much flow? Will it be to much to have an MP20 on top right side and MP10 on bottom left side?

Hi,

For the guys/gals with the Solana and running RKL w/ SL-2 (module)... where are you sticking your probes? Chamber 3?

I have the Tunze 9002 w/ mod cup in chamber 1, I'm planning on building a fuge with cheato, chemi-pure, floss etc. once my tank has cycled. So, all I really have left in the back is chamber 3... MJ900, iTemp, and ATO floats are located there now. I assume it is okay to run both the DA Salinity and pH probes back there as well?

I appreciate any input as I am new to the SW hobby.

Thanks,

lachapr

ATL Web,

If you don't mind me asking, what moon light did you purchase?

-Pete

I got this one. http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Aquali...ILTFIML-vi.html

coralife aqualight.

The attachment isn't the best....I have to put it on top of my cover because it doesn't stretch far enough to play on the back glass, but the light on it is incredible for the price and it is really awesome viewing the tank under the light.

So stocking for a solana?

2 Picassos Clownfish

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 McCoskers/Flasher Wrasse

what else?

nothing?

Potter's Angel?

Coris?

Clown Fairy Wrasse?

5-7 Small Chromis?

Hi,

For the guys/gals with the Solana and running RKL w/ SL-2 (module)... where are you sticking your probes? Chamber 3?

I have the Tunze 9002 w/ mod cup in chamber 1, I'm planning on building a fuge with cheato, chemi-pure, floss etc. once my tank has cycled. So, all I really have left in the back is chamber 3... MJ900, iTemp, and ATO floats are located there now. I assume it is okay to run both the DA Salinity and pH probes back there as well?

I appreciate any input as I am new to the SW hobby.

Thanks,

lachapr

I don't have the SL2 (have SL1), but I place my probes and stuff (pH probe, temp probe, and 2 float switches) in chamber 3. Note - I don't have any top off bottles there, because I have an ATO system.

Bryan

For people with fuges in the 2nd chamber, how does that work for you? Do you think it has a noticeable difference? I was debating getting 2 5.5 gallon tanks for a fuge that would go into an overflow and try to breed some pods and what not in there, but I have been feeding my mandarin mysis shrimp and he is already getting chubbier / looking happier since I got him. So I think I could just get some good codium and chaeto to help out with filtration, and not go through the trouble of a sump.

Does anyone have any walk through of materials / ways they set up their second chamber fuge? please let me know!

Also, my pump can get noisy and then I always have to move it so it isn't touching sides, and I even put a sponge around it so that it doesn't hit the sides and make noise, but it still somehow moves and makes noise? Does anyone have any tips for the best place to put it? Thanks! (Right now I have it places on the bottom)

I don't have the SL2 (have SL1), but I place my probes and stuff (pH probe, temp probe, and 2 float switches) in chamber 3. Note - I don't have any top off bottles there, because I have an ATO system.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan. I also have pulled out the bottles and I am using the RKL for the ATO. I have yet to put in the probes as I am still in the cycling stage. I will be putting everything in chamber 3 once I am able to.

lachapr

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody else had some more pictures of info on some of the skimmers that we can use in the solana. What do you guys think is the best skimmer out there, the Sapphire Aquatic, the Euro-Reef Nano, or the Tunze Nano doc 9002. I'm thinking about buy one of those this week so pls give me some good info about then..... If you have some pics of the skimmate pls post it. Thanks again

So stocking for a solana?

2 Picassos Clownfish

1 Tailspot Blenny

1 McCoskers/Flasher Wrasse

what else?

nothing?

Potter's Angel?

Coris?

Clown Fairy Wrasse?

5-7 Small Chromis?

I say get you a blue tang. Lol jk

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anybody else had some more pictures of info on some of the skimmers that we can use in the solana. What do you guys think is the best skimmer out there, the Sapphire Aquatic, the Euro-Reef Nano, or the Tunze Nano doc 9002. I'm thinking about buy one of those this week so pls give me some good info about then..... If you have some pics of the skimmate pls post it. Thanks again

I have the Tunze 9002 with StevieTs mod'd cup. I am still in the cycling stage, but the Tunze is super quiet. I will post some pics of my skimmate once I have more bioload. Also, you can't use the magnet on the Tunze, so I had to build a eggcrate box for it to sit on. No complaints thus far...

lachapr

I have the Tunze 9002 with StevieTs mod'd cup. I am still in the cycling stage, but the Tunze is super quiet. I will post some pics of my skimmate once I have more bioload. Also, you can't use the magnet on the Tunze, so I had to build a eggcrate box for it to sit on. No complaints thus far...

lachapr

What does StevieT's mod'd cup do? Also, why doesn't the magnet work? haha sorry for all the questions.. I am just thinking about ordering one of these sometime in the next week.

Put me on the list please..bought a used 34 gallon Solana 3 wks ago and just ended my cycle.

I'm also a newb to the hobby, so hoping to learn as much as possible from this place!

Edited by tenvibes