Innovative Marine Aquariums

GB on 12" cube contest aquariums

simplenough

simplenough

Well since the last thread got deleted I'll start a new one.

I have been talking with erickrm to try and get together a group buy for 12" cubes. The idea is that the gb turns into a contest, that way everyone will start with the same exact tank, and it would be interesting to see all the different ways they develop. Erickrm says he can get the price down to $54 per cube. If you guys have a chance make sure to check out his work, it is very precise and clean.

Winner will be decided by a vote/poll at the end of the contest, and the winner will get a FREE 9" pico cube courtesy of erickrm here's a link to erick's work.

If i remember correctly the main display will be 12"x12"x9" since the back will be sectioned of at 3" with a false wall, with space for a heater, chaeto, etc. and it will have a hole for a pump (sized for a mj 900)

If you are interested post here so we can get a list going.

last time i checked the thread the list was (if we get 5 people that should be enough to get the contest going):

Okay so the new list is

-simplenough

-harthag12

-trekbear

-1337tankhax

-plainrt (maybe)

-psychosis (maybe)

-pisces4u (maybe)

-yellowslayer13 (maybe)

-isakshu (maybe)

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, feel free to express them.

For now i think it is a good idea to set a $100 limit on the price of the light, in order to encourage diy.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
simplenough

well if we get one more person then i think 5 should be enough to get started. i know there were others interested but i cant remember who, since the posts got deleted..

so that should be

-simplenough

-harthag12

-trekbear

-plainrt (maybe)

simplenough

awesome! so if plainrt is in then that makes five, which is enough for the gb.

I will leave this open for a a week or two more, in case anyone else wants to join.

So the list is

simplenough

harthag12

trekbear

1337tankhax

plainrt (maybe)

FishFreak77

That sounds awesome. Had I not just set up my 2.5g AIO, I would definitely give it a try. Those sound like nice tanks. I really want one, but I doubt if my parents would let me since I just set up a new tank. -_- I will see how things go for me money wise in the next week or two though. B)

Grim I believe it's just the tank that he's building, supply your own pump & such for the back, atleast that's how I'm taking it.

simplenough

Yea its just the tank, it will have a whole drilled for a pump, but as far as what pump, you wanna use and how you're going to set up the plumbing, that's up to the individual.

I have a question for you guys, how long should the contest last? I was thinking 4-5 months should be good, but im open to opinions..

Actually, I'd say 6 months would be a good contest length, since that is generally when a tank really matures and finishes the cycle. Just a thought.

I'd be interested as well actually, not that I can say I can for sure. I have all ways wanted a cube, and I've all ways wanted to join a contest like this.

I will be lingering once you guys start the actual contest thread with all the tanks starting up on the same day, and once that winner is chosen via poll the winner can contact me if i dont contact him/her first and with a supplied address i will ship the free Pico ;) and have a choice of being AIO as well ;) although talk about a tiny display area lol... lets just say i do 2" false wall(not sure what pump measures less than 2"? ??) you will have about 7" slightly less after material calculations. Overall should be very nice.

For lighting, if you guys want to stay under 100 i would suggest going with the LED setup that Evil is doing up for nanos its a 3 bulb config that will plug into a socket ;)!! should work great for this tank!!

The hole drilled with be for a 1/2" bulkhead, and you can get the fitting with a 90 in it that has a nipple at lowes as well as the 1/2" ID hose, this shoudl mate up with a maxijet 900(230GPH) or MJ 600 (160GPH) perfectly.

All my tanks are always water tested for atleast 5 days before being wrapped up, and boxed up to be shipped out.

If you guys have any other question let me know, and i will be more than happy to answer, but please dont ask about any other tanks in this thread, this thread is specifically for the 12" cubes nothing else.

thank you.

I may be able to participate. Another small cube wasn't on my list of future tanks but I'd love to participate in a contest!

I'm thinking I may want in on this as well. Looking to get back to the nano tendencies of my past... And everyone loves a contest.

What is the expected start time on this shindig?

Also - how much is shipping for these tanks Eric? I'm up in Boston so at least it's not too far :D

My only fear in the whole thing is the 100$ budget on light, I really want this to be a special tank so was considering a metal halide and that's hard to swing on 100$. I guess maybe I could attempt a DIY LED though I'm not sure if I know how to Solder. Otherwise I can't wait to start. Also I agree on 6 months, my current tank is only a month old so I don't have established Corals and such I could just throw in and be done in a week. I have to cycle and start from scratch.

Also let me know when to send payment, how much, to who, etc w/ shipping to zip 08619

isakshu, the shipping for these little guys is not too much. The last time i shipped one was with fedex, and i believe the total cost came to 14 for shipping, 4 for box, and like 2 or 3 dollars for the peanuts to work as a shock obsorber....

let me work an estimate to california and this will give everyone a general idea on how much it will cost. Keep in mind this is an estimate and although i am trying to over compensate on weight it might still be a tad more or a tad less.

Harthag, look into evils thread on the pico light this light will be perfect for this project, or you can make your own like you stated. Its honestly not hard, specially for a small setup. I would look into 2 blues and 2 whites 2 buckpucks, 1 small heatsink from Heatsinks USA, and 1 power supply for a laptop of about 24V. This should be good enough to get you going on an LED project.

Thanks.

isakshu, the shipping for these little guys is not too much. The last time i shipped one was with fedex, and i believe the total cost came to 14 for shipping, 4 for box, and like 2 or 3 dollars for the peanuts to work as a shock obsorber....

let me work an estimate to california and this will give everyone a general idea on how much it will cost. Keep in mind this is an estimate and although i am trying to over compensate on weight it might still be a tad more or a tad less.

Harthag, look into evils thread on the pico light this light will be perfect for this project, or you can make your own like you stated. Its honestly not hard, specially for a small setup. I would look into 2 blues and 2 whites 2 buckpucks, 1 small heatsink from Heatsinks USA, and 1 power supply for a laptop of about 24V. This should be good enough to get you going on an LED project.

Thanks.

Yeah I've skimmed it, I plan to give it a good long read at work tomorrow and see what I can make. Worse case I destroy a few leds and wires, either way I've tried something new. Haven't seen where he's selling any setups though, may look into that if I wuss out on building it myself.

simplenough

Okay so the new list is

-simplenough

-harthag12

-trekbear

-1337tankhax

-plainrt (maybe)

-psychosis (maybe)

-pisces4u (maybe)

-yellowslayer13 (maybe)

-isakshu (maybe)

As for how long the contest will last, I agree that 6 months will probably be the best.

I'm looking to get the contest started in August, but i need to check with erick to see how much time he needs to build these.

simplenough

Ok so i contacted erick, and he says he can build the cubes fairly quickly, it just takes time to test them and get the acrylic. He will begin building once he gets payment from everyone and knows exactly how many he needs to build

so... the deadline for payments will be July 28th. This should give people time to enter the contest; and also give erick time to start building them.

He will ship them out all at once to ensure that we all begin at around the same time.

The start date will be announced once all the orders have been made.

To send payment PM erick with your zip code to get the cost for shipping and his paypal address.

Hopefully we can start around the 1st or 2nd week of August.

i'm interested but only if i can get it this week, i don't care about the contest but i have a leaking 10g on my work desk and need a replacement ASAP. any way to get in on the group buy and have it sent overnight or are they not even built yet?

/edit/ wait i thought this said 12 gallon not 12" sorry :( 12x12x12 is only 7 gallons which isn't enough.. thanks anyway

I have 2 payments so far, thank you...

I am going to try to setup one of the 12" cubes i have built in my shop the problem is i dont have my LED array complete yet so its the only reason its not up yet.... but i will try to rig the LEDs up this weekend and try to post some pictures next week, If i cant get the LED setup then i might pick up the small 12" PC coralif unit, and just light it for the time being, until i can finish my led project for the cube.

thanks

Archived