Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

GB on 12" cube contest aquariums

simplenough

$200 dollar live stock limit (give or take), including "guesstimated" prices for live stock used from existing tanks.

It keeps people from spending a grand on the nicest coral possible.

Just a suggestion.

$200 livestock budget based on starting pieces right? So like a $20 zoanthid polyp that turns into 15 polyps in 6 months doesn't tally up as $300.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
simplenough

Ok the livestock limit sounds good. So updated rules are

-use 12" cube with AIO

- no sump

-6 month timeline for voting.

-$250 spending limit on livestock (including fish), when they are added.

i dont think there needs to be a limit on filtration, since there's only so much you can fit on the 3" space in the back.

Ok guys and gals so far 3 payments have been made....

Again please PM me with your info, as i am not always able to immediately check the thread, and looking at this thread through my black berry sucks. I rather go straight to the PM and read the message.

Thanks

more pics of the design:

12X12X9AIOb.jpg

12X12X9AIOt.jpg

12X12X9AIOf.jpg

Thanks

I do not like the $200 limit I think $300 or $400 is better

I agree... I'm not sure I plan to spend that much, but you never know...

patrick1234

Are we able to just build are own tank for this? If so can some one pm the size the tank is how far front to back the fuge is how many baffles it has

Hello guys and gals, so far 4 payments, just 1 more and we can do this.... but we will wait until the deadline to hopefully have more people in the contest. I am also going to order the material to build the 9" cube for the winner.

Good luck everyone, and if you have asked for shipping quote and have not heard from me please pm me, as i can keep up with work here and other things.

Thank you.

simplenough

I made the limit 250, for just livestock, which i think is easonable, since the display area isn´t that big i dont´t want people only buying LE corals, or really expensive fish, since it should be more about the overall aquarium, not just how expensive the stuff in it is.

I really think raising it to 300 or 400 would be a little unfair for some people that dont have that kind of money to dedicate to a tank like this.

As for building your own tank, i guess that would be ok, as long as the one you build is exactly like the rest. But since erickrm is the one giving the prize to the winner then yu would have to PM him, and see if you would still be eligible for a prize..

patrick1234
I made the limit 250, for just livestock, which i think is easonable, since the display area isn´t that big i dont´t want people only buying LE corals, or really expensive fish, since it should be more about the overall aquarium, not just how expensive the stuff in it is.

I really think raising it to 300 or 400 would be a little unfair for some people that dont have that kind of money to dedicate to a tank like this.

As for building your own tank, i guess that would be ok, as long as the one you build is exactly like the rest. But since erickrm is the one giving the prize to the winner then yu would have to PM him, and see if you would still be eligible for a prize..

I dont care about the prize. I just want to see how I can place

Did the math myself. Close to 7.5 gallons.

damn beat me to it... I guess $250 it right.. I wouldn't have spent more myself and I don't plan to win. I just wanted to see some crazy tanks, I guess.

bluefunelement

This reminds me of stock or spec car racing where it's more about skill and details then $$$- much more community building!

An idea - if anyone starts with lighting etc and wants to upgrade mid contest will it be ok? That could spawn a great 2nd hand trading/upgrading thread making it easier for people to join.

ie- I have a 12" current USA 36watt light to fit my budget but I can see selling it and upgrading to a 70w MH or LED of my temp stays stable- someone new in the contest or warmer climate might want the 36w...

Fun,fun,fun

Shoot Me_I Explode

Bump…

I am still interested in this but want to know that there is more interest in actually making it a contest. I see four people have paid, I would like to pay but want to see a bit more interests first after witnessing the past contest start with a large number of people then slowly drop down to just a handful of people left at the end of the six months. I would hate for this to go forward with five or six people then end up being last man standing then a real contest.

Therefore I think you might want to look into making a post in the general section to see if you there are additional member who are interested and allow other users to build there own 12” cube aquariums as long as they follow the design erickrm has laid out as close as possiable, ie. 12”x12”x12” with a 9” display, 3” back chamber, ¼” material and the baffle about 1” below the main display so you are looking at around 7.5" water line in the return section.

There was a comment about it on RC I believe or maybe it was here.

Someone bought it and commented on how it killed their mushrooms in a 10g.

Come on thought... MH over mushrooms in a 10g...

bluefunelement

wait - thats what I was planning ...;-)

my GB12" will probably stay PC through the contest (I don't plan to even place) act as a QT for the 24nc MH then it might become a MH frag tank after - mild summer here in the Mid-Atlantic is giving me false securities.

Come on thought... MH over mushrooms in a 10g...

I saw that one, you could DIY one for as low as 37$ if you wanted from what I've found (plus shipping) though personally I"ll probably end up in the 95$ range so i'm not scrimping on the bulb & ballast.

and note the attachement isn't mine, it's from the rollback / reset july 1st thing

water_testing_numbers.pdf

alright guys its official this GB is on. I have a total of 6 cubes to build so far.... the more the merrier but if this is it i am fine with that too.

Thanks.

Archived