Coral Vue Hydros

SPS20's 40BR

SPS20

Anything new or exciting going on with the tank lately?

Hmm..

Well, not much, really. I am slowly getting the nutrient issue under control, algae growth is slowing down a bit. The acropora that was brown when I got it is still brown, but with slightly better polyp extension. The fish are all fattening up nicely, especially the starry blenny. (He is already bordering on obese, lol) The fang blenny absolutely will not touch prepared foods. He prefers to hunt for bugs. He looks plump and healthy, so for now, that will suffice. I am somewhat concerned about his ability to obtain sufficient nutrition when he gets larger, but I hold out hope he will figure out that frozen food is tasty too before he gets too much bigger.

The tank is in a holding pattern while I get past the initial algal succession phase and get my dosing regimen dialed in to the point where I have unmeasurable calcium and alk variance throughout the week. I'm almost there. I also have an issue with Derbesia/Bryopsis. I suppose I will be going the magnesium route for treatment, though I am somewhat reluctant. Nothing touches the stuff, and it grows equally well in nutrient poor water as it does in tanks with nutrient issues. It's just... evil. I have been manually removing it where I can, but it is tenacious stuff.

As far as next steps. I am planning the following for the system:

- Add a 15 gallon refugium next to the display, on the little table to the left of the tank. This will contain a DSB, and will be heavily planted. I will probably drill it and have an internal overflow on the 'fuge, with a durso style drain, slow flow. I want to keep things as quiet as possible.

- Add a second Vortech MP20. Flow is good, but not great in this tank. I want to eliminate the last vestiges of "settling" areas in the tank. Detritus is the enemy.

- Add a battery backup to the Vortechs.

- Replace the Mag5 circulation pump with a Tunze Silence (700ish GPH) and replace the Sicce PSK2500 skimmer pump with a Tunze Hydrofoamer Silence. The silent plumbing configuration has only served to expose how very noisy my pumps are. I intend to fix that. The Tunze pumps are as close to completely silent as pumps get, so I will be going with their products when I can afford it. Plus, they are made to run forever. I will keep the Mag5 and the Sicce as backups, just in case.

As far as stock, I will probably be swinging by the LFS today. If they have anything really neat, I may have some new stock tonight.

This hobby really is one big waiting game. Waiting for things to stabilize, waiting for money, waiting for growth. I can see why impatient people tend to flee from this hobby.

This hobby really is one big waiting game. Waiting for things to stabilize, waiting for money, waiting for growth. I can see why impatient people tend to flee from this hobby.

Thanks for the update on the tank. It sounds like things are coming together for you...slowly but surely. Like they say, and I'm sure you know, nothing but bad things happen quickly in this hobby. Sounds like you've been around the block a few times with tanks so you know the deal...patience is definitely a virtue to have with reefing.

Sorry to hear about the inevitable battle you're going to have with the Bryopsis. I've been fortunate to never have been plagued with too many varieties of nuisance algal, but I've had my fair share of fun in the past with one hell of a bout with Vermitids and then I had the fun and joy of dealing with a tank that quickly turned into a Neomeris farm. Needless to say both of those tanks have long since been taken down and with this go around, I went with dry-to-the-bone EcoRox.

What all are you planning on having in the refugium? I've always wanted to give mangroves a shot but I've never had a setup with the space for growing them. I always thought it would be cool to grow them as they are such unique plants in the wild. Would create a nice little green garden tank to accent your reef.

Looking forward to seeing how your tank comes along....sounds like you have big plans for it once you get past some of the algae issues and just general "settling in."

So, I just got back from the LFS. They had a really neat arborescent green Porites cylindrica (i think it is a cylindrica. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong) colony there which I ended up grabbing. It has super thick "chunky" branches. Looks like it will be a monster in time.

Since it is a Porites, I placed it high in the tank, in very strong current, almost in the brightest part of the light. IME, Porites tend to be able to easily take very bright light / high current right off the bat. It is my feeling that they often fail to thrive if you don't blast them right off the bat, especially the thick branching varieties.

As far as the refugium, I have been pondering whether to go with Mangroves or not. I wanted to use a T5 fixture directly on the top of the refugium, which wouldn't work well for mangroves, but perhaps I could use the extra 150w HQI ballast I have laying around, couple it with an Iwasaki 6500k bulb (the PAR monster) and hang it high above the refugium. Mangroves would love that, I would think. I just got back from FL (went to visit family) and saw a mangrove thicket at the shore, just getting blasted with noonday sun. If they can take that, they can handle an Iwasaki, no problem.

I still haven't decided. When I have the money together, i'll look again at my options.

I'll snap some pics of the Porites and post them in an hour or so when it isn't looking quite so pissed off. (It's only been in the tank about 15 minutes)

EDIT: Here's a pic of it. It's looking happier now.

EDITED_IMG_1647.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

niiiice!!! im sooo stoked to see som many new 40br poppin up all over the place on this site!!! tank is lookin great! i like your equipment setup! keep it up! ill be checkin in on this one!

• 5 months later...

Archived