Pod Your Reef

A 10 gallon underwater garden

Curly Joe Reefer

the pic of the pearly jawfish w/ chalk bass

extreme closeup.....ah-whoooooa! ;)

P.S..- Glad to see everything looks ok after the great "White White Sand Spill '09"

side view!

"Oh...hey...can you hold my coat? I have no closet space...and you'd be doing me a really huge favor! Just for a few months, tops!" -Pat Buckles

post-43858-1252451435_thumb.jpg

post-43858-1252451755_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curly Joe Reefer

Thanks for the kind words Ir0n Ma1den. I'm glad my tank is an inspiration for you, but my tank is still a work in progress as well. I have tried to replicate the TOTM winners setups with a few of my own tweaks. I also got a lot of inspiration and courage from El Fab's Pico tank http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136990 I will take some more pictures for you soon and let me know if you have any other questions.

Curly Joe Reefer

Ok so I switched my filtration methods up b/c I was concerned about rising nitrates due to my canister filter. Unfortunately since switching to refuge and power heads only I’ve seen higher nitrates, a hair algae outbreak, and a cyano outbreak. I have been battling all of these diligently with stepped up water changes. (2 gallons every 5 days). Well things have begun to settle, still battling the cyano though. Has anyone else experienced this? Does any one prefer canister filters?

Current FTS 9-13-9

09-13-09.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Curly Joe Reefer

So I think i'm finally getting the cyano under control, put my canister filter back on, and the tank is starting to grow in. I recently started dosing 1ml of Essential elements once every two weeks and everything really seems to be perking up. Anyways here are some pics b/c they are worth a thousand words and as always comments or questions are very welcome.

Zoa Garden

9-28-0927.jpg

Superman landed near a Birdsnest

9-28-097.jpg

I wonder if the canister is going to give you more problems than it is worth. It would seem that removing a large amount of beneficial bacteria at one time probably led to higher nutrient levels a few weeks ago. I don't know what good the canister will do you in the future...a skimmer would be a better investment, or a sump if you have room. Or, set up that 40 breeder you've been talking about on my thread.

Curly Joe Reefer

Thanks for the suggestions Tumbleweed. I actually have all of your suggestions planned for the future. Will be getting the skimmer for christmas, already turned off the canister, and I'm cycling a new tank right now as well. It's not the 40 breeder, that will have to wait for a while, but I will be going with a 16 gallon bow front with a deeper sand bed for increased bio filtration. I love the look of the 16 bow's and I'm looking forward to having the extra depth and width for aquascaping. This move will also free up the 10 gallon to become a sump for the 16.

DSCN3030.jpg

+1 I love those zoas. I need to go zoa hunting next weekend (broke this weekend lol). Are you dosing much yet? With those SPS you will need to be. With all my SPS I have to use the Kents Nano Reef plus additional calcium now. I also found out my Mg is low too so you may want to get a Mg test kit soon if you dont have one already.

Curly Joe Reefer

I have started dosing as of about a month ago. I have been dosing 1ml of Kent essential elements once every 2 weeks. Things have defenitly been perking up

Nice tank, I love your scape. I am in the middle my rock all around to find a more pleasing variation. Good Luck with the 16 bow, I too would love the extra width of a bow. My dream tank is a shallow cube.

Curly Joe Reefer

Thanks for the comment bluepanda, you put me into page 4 (yay!). I grew up down in SFLA and use to spend a week on hollywood beach every summer. Anyways, it took me forever to come up with a scape I was happy with and even now I still see something almost daily that I would like to do differently. Good thing is that i'm applying those changes to the 16 gallon that is coming along pretty well I think, everything should be moved over by this weekend. Here is a sneak peek

DSCN3104.jpg

Oh and I also got something sexy last week

10-23-097.jpg

Archived