Innovative Marine Aquariums

slcw's RSM

slcw

Although I have a 4 footer 75 gallon Aquarium, I have been drooling at Red Sea Max every time I visit one of the Local Fish Shop. Then I would always read up the RSM threads at nano-reef.com and pick up some knowledge (its issues, DIY, modifications, etc).

Finally I got an offer to purchase the last black RSM130 model at a discounted price. With a fellow reefers help, we transported the assembled unit back home. :)

3656242029_0a206565ef_o.jpg

Day 1:

RSM arrived at 1pm, but my existing 75 gallon aquarium was still operational. The air con guy was due to come later in the afternoon to disconnect the chiller drum (which was inside the cabinet) connected to the external compressor, so that the cabinet and aquarium can be sold off the next day. ;)

I leisurely decommission my tank and managed to complete it before the air con guys came.

Dismantle:

1. Siphoned out 50% of quarantine tank water out

2. Siphoned some water from 75 gallon to quarantine tank and big black bin

3. Siphoned the remaining water from 75 gallon tank to toilet

4. Moved the corals to the quarantine tank.

5. Moved the live rocks to the big black bin

6. Scooped out the sand into a bucket

7. Removed all my equipments from the tank and sump into a bucket.

Since I completed dismantling the 75 gallon tank, the air con guys could help me moved the old cabinet to a corner and moved in RSM. And instead of coming back another day to reinstall the chiller, they can now complete disconnecting the chiller drum and reinstalling it back.

By the time they have completed the installation, it was already 7.30 at night. The workmanship was good, better than all previous experiences. (I found out they specialize in restaurant chillers where the chilling temperature was much lower than our reef tanks)

Later in the night, I added freshwater to test run the RSM.

I managed to fit all my dry aquarium stuff into the RSMs cabinet. Oh the chiller drum now sits outside the cabinet and I plan to cover it with wooden boards or DIY cabinet. Currently I using the RSMs box to prevent my children from fiddling with it. :P

3657036268_e6e1d3786b_o.jpg

So much for Day 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been keeping a diary of my reef tank since Sep 2008, hence my posts are according to days

Next morning, I added salt and installed back both nano tunze (6045 &6025). Later I realised my salinity was 1.030, I lowered back 1.025.

Did a lot of pumps washing and brushing including my skimmer whilst waiting for salt to be mixed.

Later in the afternoon, I added back my sand. I didn’t wash it.

Minor SAND STORM.

Had to switch off my tunze 6045.

Day 3

Although the chiller drum has been connected back to the compressor, but the guy also removed my pvc pipings I had earlier.

3657036320_e66839f73d_o.jpg

Usually I would have connected it the same day I run the tank (day 1), I guess either I am enjoying the setup process that I am willing to let my corals stay in nano tank without a cooling fan and skimmer or my kids required my attention. Hmmm I think the earlier as could have done it when they slept.

So after work with kids already sleeping, I hid myself inside in the yard and started sawing pvp pipes. Darn did a mistaken, wrong pvp size, couldnt fit, lucky I had a spare. Took me 90 mins to reconnect the pvp pipe to the drum, ehiem hose to the ehiem 1000 compact and finally it work. Wasn’t that difficult and it didn’t leak. So happy. (Previously it leaked, as I didn’t use the rubber valve correctly, thanks to the air con guy who spotted my mistaken and taught me) ::

Too 30 mins to cool the tank from 30 deg C to 25 deg C (seems like very long), subsequently less than 10 mins (27 to 25). Chiller stays standby mode for more than 1 hr.

Oh did I tell u, my house is totally quiet now….no more water fall, no more vibration despite sponges surrounding pumps. Less wires. All my dry stuff inside cabinet and free up space for a study table beside the fish tank. Can now surf beside my tank….kekekeke

snake plissken

Can't help but ask...how good of a deal did you get on the RSM130? now that the 130D is out and of course the RSM250 i wonder how cheap you can snag the "classic" RSM

I have a RSM 130 for two years now and still get compliements on how good the tank looks. congrats...you will like it

Can't help but ask...how good of a deal did you get on the RSM130? now that the 130D is out and of course the RSM250 i wonder how cheap you can snag the "classic" RSM

I have a RSM 130 for two years now and still get compliements on how good the tank looks. congrats...you will like it

the price of the new RSM130D compared to existing stock RSM130 is about 333USD difference.

And the new model does not include any salt, sand, test kits and freebies (not that i use them except the salt)

I been following the threads here on RSM, i figured with the modifications or DIY needed, i feel i dun want to pay the extra. my 2 cents:)

thanx

Day 4, 5, 6.

Scaping, Scaping and more scaping..... :wacko:

trying to get nice scape is challenging in a nano tank.

Lets see the 3rd scape after the dust settles down and the corals open later in the evening. If lucky might get a pic too fingerscrossed

I have ordered my Tunze 9002 skimmer, inTank media basket and inTank Tunze cover. Rubbing my hands now, anxiously waiting :happydance:

May be whip SteveT and my local fish shop to go faster :D:P (joking)

yellow pony and spanko,

thanx, there is no fish yet. I still resisting the urge to introduce my clown fish in the QT.

I think of goby and dartfish

and my 2 clown fish

Very nice tank already!! We started oour RSM's on the same day but you're lightyears ahead of me. :angry:

I was wondering how you managed that scape. did you glue or bonded the LR? Tell me all about it because my last bit of LR will come in today or tomorrow so I can finally start scaping.

I'll be following this thread from now on.

Keep it coming.

Very nice tank already!! We started oour RSM's on the same day but you're lightyears ahead of me. :angry:

I was wondering how you managed that scape. did you glue or bonded the LR? Tell me all about it because my last bit of LR will come in today or tomorrow so I can finally start scaping.

I'll be following this thread from now on.

Keep it coming.

Actually it was my 3rd attempt. It is challenging to scape in a narrow tank compared to my previous setup.

First i did research on how other RSM looks like and decided to do it differently.

Second, I selected LR which are purplish or reddish (coraline algae), mix of tonga and unique pieces.

Third, try try and try until i get a layout i like or acceptable.

Try do dry scaping it helps. ;)

thanx

snake plissken

great looking corals. tank looks like its been going for months instead of days!!

sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i got 2 banggai cardinal today, they were feeding pellets at lfs.

but now back home, 1 is rather sick....like wasting away on the sand.

another is active but not taking pellets.

this is my 2nd attempt, previously in 5ft (all didnt make it)

i read they can refuse to eat suddenly.

may be i try mysis tomorrow

update, i removed the sick banggai and place in a hospital tank, this morning it died.

also my inTank parcel has : Your item left the United States from ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) at 8:53 AM on June 26, 2009. :P

oh boy oh boy :D

The InTank parcel is arriving soon :happy:

Out of Foreign Customs, June 30, 2009, 9:53 am, MALAYSIA

Into Foreign Customs, June 30, 2009, 9:48 am, MALAYSIA

Arrived Abroad, June 30, 2009, 7:56 am, MALAYSIA

Archived