Pod Your Reef

Seb's RSM

Seb

I just bought a Po4 testset today and my current Po4 level is 1,5mg/l . I guess I'm still waiting for my green algae to kick in... :huh:

The tank is mostly covered in diatom algae now and has been like that for the last few days. I don't see any change in that as yet...

Here's a FTS. Enjoy it while you can because tomorrow I'll be getting my last bit of fresh LR so I can finally start to scape...

FTS.jpg

I have turned up the light hours from 6 to 12/day now to help the green algae grow. The diatom algae is pomping out bubbles all the time now.

bubbles.jpg

I also have a few corals and another unwanted guest

Rock.jpg

This is another peace of rock with a rather nice bit of coral (?) on it. it's kind of pink purple but in picture mostly white(sorry) I have no idea what it is.It looks the same as the middle coral in the picture above but bigger

Startcoral.jpg

seb my diatom lasted about a week and a half just be patiant and it will work out get the rest of your rock and get something that lives in there. ;) a good cuc will help tons.

Yeah, I know I have to kill it. I always used pure vinegar to inject them with. Does the trick as well and a 1L bottle costs 0,30cnts. that's a lot cheaper then Joe's Juice and you can get it in any supermarket.

Will add LR tonight and then get a CuC in about a week or so when I'm sure my water params are stable.

Nice setup you have there.

I keep my SG @ 1.026, just to toss that out there, no specific reason.

Post up your new FTS...ASAP.

best-o-luck

• 2 weeks later...

The Big Recovery Post

Today the forum went down and all posts of the last 13 have been lost... Therefor I will try to get this topic up to date again in this single post..

01-July 2009

On the the first day of July I was about to receive the rest of my LR so I decided it was time for the teddybear crab to go. I had seen him briefly a few days before but on this day he was quite active eating algae in full light. I managed to catch him after a brief struggle. I wanted this crab out because he was already a reasonable size and they are believed to be hermit hunters. Also he dug holes right through my LR and I don't want my rockscape to come tumbling down in a year or so.

Rest in peace Ted !

Teddy2.jpg

Teddy1.jpg

I then went on to collect my fresh LR from the store. The LR I picked up was full of live and I did some aquascaping. I wasn't really happy with the result but after 2 hours I was getting quite tired. The result was a sort of anthill as some of you called this creation.

The Anthil

FTS-1.jpg

LTS.jpg

RTS.jpg

03-July 2009

After two days I decided to have another go at the aquascaping. The Anthill above wasn't very open so current in the tank could have been a problem. Also I wanted to give my fishy friens some more options to hide and explore the rock. This was the result:

New Rock Scape!

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0020-1.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

11-July 2009

I had been getting good test results on my water so I went to a shop and got a very small CuC consisting of 2 turbo snails, 1 Bluelegged Hermit and 1 wurdemanni shrimp. I didn't want to introduce too much live to the tank because I'm a bit wary of all the dangers ahead.

The Turbo snails don't move very fast so I was wondering why people call them turbo's. They move a coouple of inch each day leaving very clean LR behind.

The Wurdemanni shrimp I have only seens twice so far. My pestanemones are all stil in mint condition so I hope he will get to work on them soon...

The hermit is just crawling through the tank eatin bits and peaces of algae.

It's fun to actually see some life in the tank

13-July 2009

Lot's of the brown diatom algae is dissapearing and in the two front corners I now have long green algae.

Here are the latest Pics.

PICT0050.jpg

PICT0042-2.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

Hope were up to speed again now. If you have any questions or comments please let me know.

Fingers crossed the forum doesn't go down again tonight... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Holiday and had a great time!

My tank has been maintained by a friend of mine which I gave clear directions. All my water test have come up good but the green algae is growing like crazy now.

I will take out the green algae by hand later today:

PICT0010-1.jpg

I have some strange white algae growing on my backwall. it's white, smnall and looks a bit like fungus.. hard to take a pic. Does anyone know what this is?

PICT0015.jpg

Also I would like to know what to do next. my water seems to be fine but can I add corals and fish yet when the tank is looking like this?

Well after cleaning up the tank a bit and taking most of the green algae out by hand I decided it was time for some more life. The two turbo's that I had don't move a lot at all.

I went to the LFS (which isn't very local at all...) and picked up:

1x Tailspot Blenny, Ecsenius stigmatura

1x percnon gibbesi

6x Nassarius Vibex Snails

1x bag of sand!! Yes, I'm finally adding sand to my RSM. Amazing how the tank changes, it's looking so much better now.

FTS:

PICT0035-1.jpg

Tailspot Blenny:

PICT0033.jpg

percnon gibbesi:

PICT0024-1.jpg

Nassarius Vibex Snails: (borowed pic)

images.jpg

The snails are pretty funny actually. I put them in to keep my sandbed fresh but you see them moving under the sand with only what looks like a periscope above the surface. When I add a little bit of food to the tank they really jump out of the sand and start racing the sandbed looking for foodflakes. never seen any snail this fast!

The Blenny is a real treat! he keeps popping in and out of his hole all the time. pretty curious fellow.

The percnon isn't very shy either. haven't really seen him attack the algae yet...

Here's another quick update on the tank.

I have got a couple of clows now, they are bread by a friend of mine and they are still tiny. They are about an inch. very cute!Hard to take a pic as they are moving fast and they're still a bit shy.

Also got two pieces of coral from the same guy. The first is GPS, great color and the second is caliendrum, I don't know the english name but maybe one of you can help me out...

I finally got a good shot of my peppermint shrimp he's becoming less shy.

here's the pica's:

FTS: (can you spot the clowns?)

PICT0079.jpg

GPS:

PICT0040.jpg

Caliendrum: (english?)

PICT0032.jpg

Peppermint:

PICT0076.jpg

Nemo:

PICT0069.jpg

Looking good and coming together! Cute clowns! So tiny! You should pick up some more snails and hermits. They'll really clean up your tank.

• 3 weeks later...

2 weeks without a single post.. I can do better then that!

Been qiuet here for some weeks but lots of stuff has been happening. I have been visiting some fellow hobbyists to have a look at their tanks and collect some more corals.

I have taken some pictures for your enjuyment, I hope you like them. I don't know all the english names so maybe someone could help me fill in the blanks.

I'll start with some fts shots and will continue with some close-ups.

FTS:

PICT0113.jpg

PICT0104.jpg

PICT0119.jpg

PICT0127.jpg

PICT0137.jpg

My Percnon Gibessi crab:

PICT0051.jpg

@ work:

PICT0147.jpg

My 1" Fungia:

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

My Blue-Pink Ricordea:

PICT0066.jpg

My Zoa's:

PICT0069-1.jpg

PICT0074.jpg

PICT0090.jpg

PICT0092.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

My Monti's :

PICT0078.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

A piece of birdsnest I'm trying to rescue:

PICT0094.jpg

PICT0153.jpg

All comments welcome... :D

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
2 weeks without a single post.. I can do better then that!

Been qiuet here for some weeks but lots of stuff has been happening. I have been visiting some fellow hobbyists to have a look at their tanks and collect some more corals.

I have taken some pictures for your enjuyment, I hope you like them. I don't know all the english names so maybe someone could help me fill in the blanks.

I'll start with some fts shots and will continue with some close-ups.

FTS:

Hi Seb, your tank is coming along nicely! I'll try to fill in some of the blanks...

Torch coral (Euphillia glabrescens)

PICT0059.jpg

Candy Cane Coral (Caulastrea furcata)

PICT0092.jpg

Green Bird's Nest (Seriatopora hystrix)

PICT0085.jpg

Keep going, it's going to be terrific when it matures!

I was in s'Hertogenbosch for 4 months from January 1st to April 1990, had a blast!

Cheers,

Tabatha

Archived