SaltCritters.com

'fragging' mushrooms . .

darwin604

I have a colony of mushrooms on a peice of LR that I got from my LFS. My brother just set up a reef tank and since they are such a great beginner species I'd like to donate some to his tank. On top of that my mushroom rock is getting really crowded so I wouldnt mind moving a polyp or two to another part of my tank. Whats involved in moving mushrooms from one rock to another? I dont really want to just try ripping one off or something since that might harm it . . anyways, some advice would be great.

d.

I usually just cut the heads off the shrooms then put them in a tank that has alot of live rock rubble in it when they attach to a small piece I holdfast that piece to a bigger piece of l.r. You can also usually pick up a piece of l.r. containing shrooms and shake it around underwater sometimes they fall off or shade one for a little while and let it bail off the rock.

So cutting the top off of them doesnt harm them? Supposing I had a specific peice of LR I'd like to attach one to . . whats the best method of doing this for a mushroom? (I don't really have a tank full of LR rubble . . )

d.

You can either try to place them in a plastic cup containing rubble and place that in a low flow area or use a piece if fishing line to sew it to a rock...when it attaches simply cut the line and pull it through, I've also used plastic hemostats to pinch them to a rock with mixed results-Yves

It's best to pull the rock with the shrooms on it out of the tank and hold it upside down to cut the shroom off. The above advice on how to reattach is good. Keep in mind that you will have a new shroom grow from the leftover flesh on the LR that you originally cut it off of.

Thanks, this threads been very useful . . I'm gonna attempt this and see what happens. If I'm sucessful . . next attempt: my leather coral.

d.

Originally posted by Jahkaya

The Blender Method!

Okay I chopped a shroom off the rock and stuck him in a cup in another tank with some rubble. He's all shriveled up but I think he'll come to sooner or later.

As for the leather, just chop a peice off that and follow the same procedure?

d

• 2 weeks later...

Dont forget..... the original stalk that you cut the shroom off of. After it heals over, slice it down the middle with a razor. This way you will get two shrooms from the one stalk.

Archived