Innovative Marine Aquariums

?Anyone kept Bumble bee snails before?

FiReBrEaThInGCuTtLeFiSh!XD

Hey, I've got a 10 cycling and a 45 that will be shortly. I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully taken care of Bumble Bee Snails. BBS . I love their shells and was wondering what experience so more seasoned vets out there have had with these guys & whether or not their a good member to add to a CUC. Tanks guys/girls.

Hey, I've got a 10 cycling and a 45 that will be shortly. I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully taken care of Bumble Bee Snails. BBS . I love their shells and was wondering what experience so more seasoned vets out there have had with these guys & whether or not their a good member to add to a CUC. Tanks guys/girls.

I have one that was a hitchhiker...It hasn't cause any trouble that I can see. It will disappear for days and then show up for days

I had some awhile back in my 55 didnt really mess with anything but then again didnt see anything good they did either

Keep in mind, they are carnivores. Well established systems, they shoudl be ok but if they get hungry, they will go for snails, worms and possibly other meaty things.

I know they're omnivorous and will eat certain polyps or other snails if they don't have enough food, but that can also be supplemented w/ shrimp & other meaty foods as well as seaweed. Does anyone have any experiences with them being a good or bad member to a CUC (when not starved). Thanks for all the input & quick responses guys, I really appreciate it :)

Bumble Bee shrimp eat starfish like harlequin shrimp. Although they can be trained to eat meaty items like brine and mysis unlike harlequins which cannot. They are carnivores not omnivores and will not graze on your algae. They are generally not good CuC members since they don't graze on detritus and prefer meaty items. You shouldn't count on these guys as CuC members and instead just ornamental shrimp.

Haven't decided on shrimp yet, but I was never really considering those guys. Anyone else w/ expeirience w/ Engina sp. (bumble bee SNAILS)?

yeah i'd like to know if they are worth it for a CUC as well i'm starting to stock an aquapod 24 and my LFS has lots of them and i wouldn't mind at least trying more variety in snails as i build them up

frankly they are quite small and even if they are carnivores (which i doubt) i can't see them eating much in the tank, but if their diet is hard to manage they might not be worth it, anyway i think this thread was derailed by confusion with a shrimp

talking about these guys:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=565

p-86512-snail.jpg

I have a pair of them that I've had for over a year. They haven't been any problems that I've noticed. I usually don't see them much during the day, but are active after the lights go out. I bascially got them for their interesting shells! ;)

The risks are hardly woth the benifits in this case. I'd just avoid them and find a Tongan Nass. There cool, they get big, and I find mine to be rather colorful.

me personally i already have 4 tongan nassarius snails and if/when i need to expand my clean up crew i don't really plan to get more they are well sorta boring

also have you seen how small a bumble bee is? it makes a tongan nass look huge since they are both carnivores/omnis i can't imagine a bumble bee causing more trouble.

also its kinda a different kind of snail from my initial observation. it appears a bumble bee will clean the glass where a tongan well is not going to that much

m'akoyPINOY

i have 10 bb snails in my tank for almost 2 yrs now.good CUC,imo.eat mysis leftovers if i feed my acans.

Bumble Bee shrimp eat starfish like harlequin shrimp. Although they can be trained to eat meaty items like brine and mysis unlike harlequins which cannot. They are carnivores not omnivores and will not graze on your algae. They are generally not good CuC members since they don't graze on detritus and prefer meaty items. You shouldn't count on these guys as CuC members and instead just ornamental shrimp.

He is talking about the snails, not the shrimp.

i have 10 bb snails in my tank for almost 2 yrs now.good CUC,imo.eat mysis leftovers if i feed my acans.

Good to know they're a valuable part of your CUC. :)

As far as their size, I don't really mind. I plan on having sevreal other snail species as well and will have a decent amount altogether for my 45g. Glass is always nice to have cleaned and I've read that their smaller size alowys them to get to and clean spots larger snails have dificulty doing, although not sure of the validity on this but sounds like it makes sence.

thanks for the thread resurrection there blite

go with narcissus snail instead. they move through your sand and cleaning it. lots of benefits with those guys.

Archived