Coral Vue Hydros

Mojo's 40B in retirement

Mojorizn

Well, Bluespot went MIA for day and 1/2. Was found, well partially found that is...

Let's just say that my CUC is capable and willing.

No clue as to why the BSJF perished. Was eating well and getting along for all 4 days I had em....bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are you liking the MH? I'm thinking of ditching my TEK fixture for a 2 x 150 sunpod. Just wondering how the coverage is from front to back with just MH's on.

• 1 month later...
acropora1981

man that turned out nice!

You know, I don't care what they come up with, T5's, LED, plasma, love-generated-light-funsticks, whatever!

MH is still the king of 'jeezuz that looks nice....'

• 1 month later...

yea I really like how you set up your light combo those 20k mh have a nice blue tint with that only MH shimmer.. And the 2 t5's for some extra color pop and early in the day and late at night tank viewing options.. I love the blue look thats just my taste so I have the 20"nep pro with all some kind of actinc light option bubls in it. but want a MH with a nice blue look.. like your looks great..

• 1 month later...

So, after a 3 month MH experiment, I am back to T5's.

Slow acclimation still fried my tank, tissue loss, extreme cyno problems, the list goes on and on.

Sooo, back to when "it wasn't broke".

Took some time to get a little color back and had to frag quite a few colonies to save the leftovers.

Live and learn huh?

The remains of my tank, slowly coming back to life...

a 6x39 T5 Retro / 4 x ATI Blue+ / 1 x GE 6500 / 1 x Fiji Purple.

Looks pretty good in person, although I may dump the 6500 for an Aquasun 75 / 25.

For now, I'm just gonna leave 'er be...

FTS_Sept2010.jpg

FTS_R_Sept2010.jpg

FTS_L_Sept2010.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've gotten some questions recently on my current setup, so here goes:

IMG_29011.jpg

The canopy and MP 20 / left PVC drain

IMG_29031.jpg

Canopy from the top with 2 CPU fans always on

IMG_29051.jpg

Canopy from the back

IMG_2907.jpg

CPU fan that needs cleaning

IMG_29101.jpg

6x39 T5 (4ATI Blue+ 1 Fiji Purple 1 GE 6500) Two PVC drains / single return

CPU fans are on temp control

IMG_2912.jpg

Canopy interior showing a little construction detail

IMG_29242.jpg

Canopy corner

IMG_2911.jpg

Mounting of lights and reflectors

IMG_2916.jpg

Right side of sump / ATI Ballast / RKL Controller / Phosban Reactor (ROX.8 and GFO)

Custom built water top off container / Q1 6000 drives the system

IMG_2917.jpg

Left side of sump / Octopus 160 Skimmer / flow diverter line so I don't have to shut off the

pump during water changes /drain hose / single return

IMG_2928.jpg

Tank from the front / Korillia 2 in the middle

speechless... with each pic got more and more silent.... -- Im definitely not doin a DIY... not if it wont look like that.. lol Beautiful setup, if i do a diy, im NOT puttin it up online... :D

what order do you have the bulbs in? i just got a 6bulb with the same combo except i have the GE 6500K like you use to have for my 40br

The Blues are on the outside with the Fiji and GE in the middle.

There are three separate ballasts as well.

The lights turn on and off in a 15 minute stagger....

First the outside ATI Blue+ / 15 minutes later the next two ATI's / 15 minutes later the center Fiji and GE

They are all on for 9 hours and then the stagger reverses....kinda a dawn - dusk thing

I may switch out the GE for something in the 14k range. The 6500 is way to yellow for me.

I got a 36" IceCap Deepwater 14k on order and I'll see how that goes. I have a few spare T5's that I've accumulated, so i'm still playin around with the combo.

speechless... with each pic got more and more silent.... -- Im definitely not doin a DIY... not if it wont look like that.. lol Beautiful setup, if i do a diy, im NOT puttin it up online..

lol...when ya have a few tanks and parts laying around, taking up garage space, you will...trust me.

Okey dokey -

Time for another lighting change. I have accumulated a pile of T5's in an effort to get the look / growth I'm after.

Combo after combo, I can't get over the "washed out" look...

So, it's back to the MH's + T5 that fried my tank the first time around...lol

In the mail, 2 150W Reeflux 12k bulbs. I'll use these in combo with 2 ULV Super Actinics at first and see how it goes.

Since I still have the 6x39 T5 retro, I've got plently to work with.

I'll be using the "screen" method to acclimate to MH.

So, I went off today and purchased an Aqueon 65 RR with the "Mega Overflow" whatever for a sweet price.

See ya later 40B ... it was a great ride.

Beautiful tank! and good luck with the 65 :) will be just as great im sure. Maybe i should start up a Tank thread for my 20L... Kinda lazy though haha

Ps, GO DALLAS! haha i had to do it. great win over Anaheim tonight.

So, I went off today and purchased an Aqueon 65 RR with the "Mega Overflow" whatever for a sweet price.

See ya later 40B ... it was a great ride.

no way!! so ur transferring everything to the new one?

gulfsurfer101

Dude! Can't wait to see it. I wanted to do a 75 but went 40 instead and regretted it terribly. Sounds like you got your lighting and most of your livestock figured out. Let me know if you need any help getting anything put together. I still have my dad's table saw at the old house on the ridge if you want to biuld your own stand or hood.

Same dimensions as the 40 (36 x 18 ) just taller (24). My stand and hood will fit.

Gonna be a pretty simple transfer for the most part.

Archived