Top Shelf Aquatics

Bad Ass Algae?

Seiryoku

Get a pin and go nuts? Oh yea. That'll fix it. Honest.

Screwed all ways reminds me of a cheap horror flick. Some doll called drill head. Details are fuzzy. Real buzz kill...

Get a pin and go nuts? Oh yea. That'll fix it. Honest.

Screwed all ways reminds me of a cheap horror flick. Some doll called drill head. Details are fuzzy. Real buzz kill...

Uh, sure...you're crazy!

:lol:

Not necessarily. I just inspected my tank and notice that there is a lot less red bubbles than there once were... I've never seen anything eating it, so I'm really not sure.. hmmmmm..

Bah, don't know why it so difficult to get things to eat certain things, not like things can smell funky underwater o_o

IMG_3625.jpg

Looks like nemastoma?, very cool algae! and a fast grower, there was a guy on RC selling 1 in frags of his for $20 a piece.

Aliasnumber1

Was a thread on red bubble algae not too long ago, the guy's only potential herbivore was blue leg hermits. I did battle with mine for a year, and gave up. I found a local guy that wanted a scopas tang for his tank after my algae was gone. Bad news is the algae is back, going back and forth on killing it chemically or mechanically.

I have blue leg hermits in the tank, they don't touch it. Things may get interesting in this tank yet again...

yea, im pretty sure that its nemastoma.

I just dug up the guys pictures he had of his stuff.

Started as this:

DSC_0003.jpg

Looked like this when he fragged it:

DSCN2422.jpg

I want a frag of it when you do end up trimming it!

Holy crap, that is bad ass! Hope I can keep it going. Might try to move a piece to my 20H, better lighting...might grow faster.

I'll need to figure out how to frag it too. Do you just whack off chunks or does it have to be cut down to where it attaches?

Honestly, I'd contact mnherper. He was literally selling this stuff not 2 days ago. I'm sure he could give you all kinds of tips on care and eventually fragging.

I don't know about you guys, but my Emerald dominated my Red bubble algae. I had one small patch, 2 days later, I had none. Of course, one stubborn piece I had to carefully remove manually, which requires a light twisting motion and a lot of time. I haven't seen any since, of course with the new mantis, a new bubble algae epidemic would really harsh my mellow, yo.

johnmaloney

i think both of those algae are the ones pictured on the back cover off Littler's book "South Pacific Reef Plants", now if the book only gave names. See if you can find the back cover picture online, I have it here it is spot on- has both algae. No names though.... probably not nemastoma, your algae is disk like. here is a link to amazon that you can use to see the back cover:

http://www.amazon.com/South-Pacific-Reef-P...67890195#reader

I'll have to contact that guy some time, thanks :)

Can't find the back cover of that book :(

Plan was to put some GSP on it for hair, when I finally got around to it...the GSP frags I bought all died in shipping.

johnmaloney

click "look inside" and then there will be some options, choose see back cover. they do it in flash so i can't just link directly to the cover.

• 2 months later...

I have a larger version of the same red macro thats on the back of the book johnmaloney mentioned. It looks a bit like a monti cap although redder and with those cool edges and seems different than the nemastoma pics on google. Would love to hear how its referred to in that reference.

I was thinking of fragging it since its so beautiful and coral-like and grows happily in my BC14 with stock lights. Any ideas of what reefers would pay and tips on fragging?

post-30784-1251674910_thumb.jpg

post-30784-1251674924_thumb.jpg

Archived