ReefCleaners.org

!HELP DKH IS TO HIGH!

Gerardo25

hello, I been having a 14 gallon nano-cube for around 10 months. I basically have polyps, L PS (Aussie Acans & Echinophyllia Corals) and ricordea mushrooms.It seems really estrange any time i add a soft or ricordea yuma, they all melted and died.I recently added some expensive ridordea yumas to my tank but the same happend to them they melted and died. , all my ricordea florida survive and ricordea yuma and soft corals don't.

I do water changes every week, 5 gallons, and use water from a local aquarium.

compact lights.

my water parameters are:

Temperature: between 77° and 78° F and constant

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 20 ppm

pH: between 8.3

Alkaline: 15 dKH

Specific Gravity: between 1.023 & 1.024

Phosphate: 0.0

Calcium: 388 mgl

I m guessing that the high KH is melting my corals could that be possible?

My KH and nitrate had always been really high and I don't know what makes them go so high.

, What can i do to make them go down???, (water changes make it go down but for a couple of days)

please i need advise, hope you can help me. i

You mean the 12 gallon nano-cube???

Is it just me or does 5 gallons weekly water change sound like too much!? Everything I've read has been roughly 10 - 15% weekly at the most. Even if it is a 14 gallon tank, 5 gallons a week is over 35%.

I do water changes every week, 5 gallons, and use water from a local aquarium.
Do tests on the water before you put it in your tank. I'm pretty sure that this is where your problem lies. Consider switching to a decent salt mix.

Nitrate: 20 ppm
I'm guessing that there is at least 10ppm in your water change water. If not, remove any bio-filters (besides LR and live sand).

Alkaline: 15 dKH
I'd like to see alkalinity dropped down to 11.

Specific Gravity: between 1.023 & 1.024
I would boost that up to 1.025

Archived