Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Comprehensive DIY LED Project List

evilc66

What's the easiest way to post pictures? I'd like to add mine to the mix.

Upload the images to your nano-reef gallery or a free image hosting site and link to them using the "insert images" button above.

pimp4cheddar

Damn...this is one bad ass thread!

I know it's a far stretch...but does anyone have any insight to doing an LED mod for my Fluval Edge...??? It would be killer with better lights!

A couple months ago, I came across a BC29 Lid for virtually free (thanks Ando!) so I snatched it up. It sat idle for a while, until I slowly started converting it to an LED System, inspired heavily (okay, I blatantly copied) by C Jerome.

At this time, the hood isn't installed, but is being run in my office for testing ... all systems seem to be go, however.

bc29ledproject03.jpg

bc29ledproject02.jpg

bc29ledproject05.jpg

bc29ledproject04.jpg

bc29ledproject06.jpg

Damn...this is one bad ass thread!

I know it's a far stretch...but does anyone have any insight to doing an LED mod for my Fluval Edge...??? It would be killer with better lights!

This thread isn't for discussion. Please take the question somewhere else (I did ask nicely at the begining of this thread).

A couple months ago, I came across a BC29 Lid for virtually free (thanks Ando!) so I snatched it up. It sat idle for a while, until I slowly started converting it to an LED System, inspired heavily (okay, I blatantly copied) by C Jerome.

At this time, the hood isn't installed, but is being run in my office for testing ... all systems seem to be go, however.

bc29ledproject03.jpg

bc29ledproject02.jpg

bc29ledproject05.jpg

bc29ledproject04.jpg

bc29ledproject06.jpg

Sweet. Glad you got it set up. I like where you put the dimmer pots.

here is some supp. lighting using 12 royal blue crees and 80 degree lenses

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0006-5.jpg

VERY nicely done.

Sweet. Glad you got it set up. I like where you put the dimmer pots.

Dimmer pot placement was wholly based on "where will my kids NOT notice the pots so they won't be tempted to turn them to 100% and burn the corals" :)

M@rine_lover

New White Series LED Fixture for my 60 gal 2ft Cube Tank

1 18x SSC P4 Pure White emitter( U Bin) W42180

2 13x SSC P4 Royal Blue emitter (D42180)

3 4x 3W UV LED

4 35x 40ºC Len

5 35x 22mm metal core Star PCB

6 2x Meanwell Power Supply ELN-60-48D

7 1x Aluminum plate (L430 x W320 x H3mm)

8 Customized Acrylic sheet (white) 4mm

9 1x 2mm Glass

10 35x Bond-Ply adhesive tape

11 4x DC input connector

12 2x 22cfm Fan

LEDkit.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

DSC02824.jpg

2.jpg

111.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

116.jpg

DSC01998Small.jpg

DSC01999Small.jpg

DSC01997Small.jpg

For more info, please click on my signature.

Edited by M@rine_lover
  • 4 weeks later...
New White Series LED Fixture for my 60 gal 2ft Cube Tank

1 18x SSC P4 Pure White emitter( U Bin) W42180

2 13x SSC P4 Royal Blue emitter (D42180)

3 4x 3W UV LED

4 35x 40ºC Len

5 35x 22mm metal core Star PCB

6 2x Meanwell Power Supply ELN-60-48D

7 1x Aluminum plate (L430 x W320 x H3mm)

8 Customized Acrylic sheet (white) 4mm

9 1x 2mm Glass

10 35x Bond-Ply adhesive tape

11 4x DC input connector

12 2x 22cfm Fan

LEDkit.jpg

DSC02797.jpg

DSC02824.jpg

2.jpg

111.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

116.jpg

DSC01998Small.jpg

DSC01999Small.jpg

DSC01997Small.jpg

For more info, please click on my signature.

Hi,

Very nice setup. What current are you running through these LEDs, 500mA? According to my math the Meanwell can only power 13 leds at 1000mA in series (~3.7V drop ea.). Therefore two Meanwells could only drive 26 LEDs at 1000mA. So you must be running at a lower current.

I was planning running at 1000mA on my future project but I'm interested in your lower current scheme. How do the LEDs perform at this reduced current? Have you had a chance to compare with a system running at 1000mA?

Thanks for your help.

-Taylor

• Like 1
Please, this is not a thread for discussion or questions. If you have questions, post on the members thread or PM them. There are lots of other threads discussing LEDs. This is not one of them.

So i finally decided to go for it and ordered up the supplies to do an LED retro on my 12gal nano-dx.

Parts List:

6x White Cree Q5 XR-E ($6 each @ ETGtech.com)

6x Royal Blue Cree® XR-E (($6 each @ ETGtech.com)

2x 1000mA Constant Current Output, External Dimming w/ pot. ($19.99 @ ledsupply.com)

1x 24V-6.4A supply ($14.95 @ MPJA)

1x 24V-3.2A ($17.99, marked as "70W universal laptop power supply" from Geeks.com)

10 x 5.375 inch heatsink ($20 @ heatsinkusa.com)

Total Cost: (not including shipping)

$145

Side notes/ tips before the pics:

-If you want to save some $$ go with etg tech on the lights they sold me the q5 for $6 when led supply wanted $9 each, all you have to do is call them, they were really nice and knew exactly what i wanted.

-USE A DRILL PRESS, the press i had would not take the drill bit the 4-40 tap needed, needless to say i snapped 4 drill bits trying to do it by hand :( and it took me about 3.5hrs to drill....

-If you can find a universal laptop power supply at a local frys or the like you can save shipping from MPJA, and have an already packaged unit. All you gotta do is cut the connector off and there should be two wires, red/black, then just hook the buckpuck to it and your done.

-Last but not least enjoy the process! I had a blast building the fixture and it looks great.

Now the pics:

Buckpuck from led supply w/ pot

49082929.jpg

LEDS from ETG tech.

56117198.jpg

We found these little pink boxes at Michale's :) They worked really well for packing all the wires.

73106105.jpg

Top side wtih pots. mounted.

82677938.jpg

Initial layout for the leds, the wife laid them out while i was off studying for school.

89421879.jpg

The hand drilled nightmare. As you can see there are a few drill bits and a tap broken off in there.

11098636.jpg

All drilled and tapped and mounted with our bracket, we found at home depot for .50 and bent to fit.

51668068.jpg

All the led soldered down in series.

44313370.jpg

Last but not least, TADA all the lights powered up and looking good.

It sorta hard to tell but the lights were laid out like this::

White, Blue, Blue, White

Blue, White, White, Blue

White, Blue, Blue, White

21438623.jpg

I dont have any in tank pics as we got home too late last night to turn it on. Ill post some today when i get home. If you have any questions or i made any mistakes, just shoot me a PM.

I haven't added the fans yet i need one more power supply, that ill go out and buy today. Im going to mount them shooting across rather then down onto it. It should cool down the heat sink more then the top down fans. So for now i have my large floor fan mounted on the side blowing onto it.

It was fun and for about the same cost as a HQI solution for a cube, i would pick the led any day.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209096

Edited by ccLansman
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been busy and haven't fully finished yet, but I owe you guys some pics. :happy:

First my Nano Cube 12

DSC01781-1.jpg

DSC02051-1.jpg

More pic can be found on my album LEDs 12g NC Not much going on in here except for one big happy anemone and a bunch of pests.

The heatsink is 8.5" by 5" Layout posted on Sketchup Here

Right now all of the LEDs are running off a single meanwell ELN-60-48P at maybe 80%, I haven't changed the stock fans yet but I did add a baffle to direct airflow.

Next up is my overdone 10g

DSC01775-1.jpg

DSC01682-1.jpg

More pic can be found on my album LEDs 10g Lots of SPS in here and but some are still recovering from a alk drop. :angry:

The heatsink is 8.5" by 12" Layout posted on Sketchup Here

This setup is using 2 meanwells ELN-60-48P

The third project I have been working on is for a frag tank, it will use the same type of step up as the 10g.

Parts

White Cree Q5 XR-E

Royal Blue Cree XR-E

Meanwells ELN-60-48P

8.5 x 12 Heatsink from Heatsinkusa.com

8.5 x 5 Heatsink from Heatsinkusa.com

screws and washers from www.mcmaster.com

Right now my dimming circuits consist of a common 12v wall wart running a LM317T to regulate the voltage to 10v and a 10k pot. Seems to be working out good so far, however I still need to clean up my circuits and get a project box.

The next thing to do is to get an arduino and start having some real fun. B)

Please post Question and Comments HERE

Here are a few pics of my LED build. Thanks to everyone at nano-reef, I just followed in your footsteps. I apologize up front for the lackluster pictures ive never used anything but the auto mode on my camera and im still experimenting.

Stock PCs

CannonFodder420.jpg

LED retro, poor photos

CannonFodder485.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

Wish i could do my zoas and ricordias justice but my photo skills are not even close

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

components from ledsupply

CannonFodder435.jpg

Power Supplies

CannonFodder440.jpg

Heatsink usa 7.3X11, fits into hood with minor cutting. Lots of holes for repositioning and future addon of 6 more LEDS, RB W and UV

CannonFodder443.jpg

Brackets i made from scrap sheet metal, crude but effective

CannonFodder436.jpg

PS to Bucks improvised

CannonFodder460.jpg

Test Run

CannonFodder457.jpg

Switch assembly, bucks on the main heatsink

CannonFodder471.jpg

All wired

CannonFodder474.jpg

It all fits but it is snug to say the least, notice the stock moonlights

CannonFodder480.jpg

Blinding, i saw green spots for hours, wear sunglasses imo

CannonFodder476.jpg

I am very pleased with the result and owe it 100% to all the posts here on nano-reef, 10-15 hours mostly spent drilling, $200-$250 dollars but i had all the components except the leds, heatsinks and buckpucks. I am planning to add 6 more LEDs in time and plan to make this a zoa and sps show tank. The tank is 3 weeks along in the latest photo and i am haveing alot of fun having been out of the hobby for about 6 years. My last tank was a 250g natural reef and i had to give it up because of having to move so much. My wife got me this for my birthday at the first of september and i am excited to fine tune it and make it a piece of art. I have a ton more photos if anyone is interested and it looks like taking pics is almost as fun as watching the tank. Thanks to evilc66, deepdvnarq, crs2k, Maddevil1, dhraakoxr, Waterproof, Crazy Tiki and bpkenn

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210122

Edited by shmoopy

The first JBJ 24G I modified

The original light

I used 18 SSC P4 on round metal core PCB(Self build) instead of the usual star for better heat dissipation

Using my self build driver

Finally install on the original hood

The light up finally

The tank light up by LED

The tank light up by 4 P1 blue led

post-5767-1254406834_thumb.jpg

post-5767-1254407081_thumb.jpg

post-5767-1254407269_thumb.jpg

post-5767-1254407683_thumb.jpg

post-5767-1254408326_thumb.jpg

post-5767-1254408484_thumb.jpg

post-5767-1254408815_thumb.jpg

first of all i would like to thank evil and marteen for your great amount of help in wiring and your own projects as a guideline. i am almost done with my retrofit and i have to say... welding masks are needed!!!

all wiring is complete and the only thing left now is the mounting of the heatsink into the fixture. i will post pics later when i have the time but once again, thank you all for the help!!!!

Guess I can add mine to the list now.

Custom setup for a 20h.

For the enclosure...

I used 1/8" black acrylic, with some scrap 1/4" for legs and reinforcement. If I was redoing this I would use 1/4 instead as it was my first time working with acrylic and I would prefer it to feel a bit stronger.

For the lighting...

I used 11 each of the Cree XRE cool white and royal blue. I had originally planned on using 12 royal blue but the order got a bit confused and I think it works ok without it. I used a 1/4" aluminum plate for a heat sink with 2 80mm computer case fans mounted above so it stays cool.

Thanks to EvilC66 and all in this topic and the Ultimate LED thread for the inspiration.

Does this mean I can be a member of the NR LED club now?

Edited by stmccool