Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LED and LENSES GROUP BUY

deepdvnarq

3.7 is what is off the data sheet

is that the whites & the blues??

when i was looking at ledsupply.com the cree xr-e q5 whites & royal blues both showed (3.3) & i wasn't sure if these were the same....just trying to figure out my power requirements vs how many leds i need/can use before commiting to ordering

at the moment, i'm thinking 9 of each @ (3.7)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried to join the GB but:

The Seller does not ship to your location. If you have an alternate address that is supported by the Seller for this Group Buy, please update your Account Information with that address and attempt to join as Committed again

I'm in PR. so yeah... any chances of getting in? I bough with Evil but need 3 more

The Seller does not ship to your location. If you have an alternate address that is supported by the Seller for this Group Buy, please update your Account Information with that address and attempt to join as Committed again

I'm in PR. so yeah... any chances of getting in? I bough with Evil but need 3 more

most people don't realize that shipping to puerto rico is the same price for us postal shipping as it is to any of the 48 contigous states

is that the whites & the blues??

when i was looking at ledsupply.com the cree xr-e q5 whites & royal blues both showed (3.3) & i wasn't sure if these were the same....just trying to figure out my power requirements vs how many leds i need/can use before commiting to ordering

at the moment, i'm thinking 9 of each @ (3.7)

Hey James,

are you using buckpucks or are you making your own driver? if you are using buckpucks, the most you can run in series together is 6 LEDs. so the most in a power supply that you will ever need is 24v. (3.7*6=22.2v + 2v for buckpuck= 24.2v) the 3.7 is for both the CW and the RB. if you use this power supply, you can run upto 6 1A buckpucks. in the case you are going with the meanwell drivers, they support upto 13 LEDs in series and dont require a power supply, however, they do need somework to make them dimmable and a 10v source just to turn them on. you can run all of those in parallel but you will need to make current mirrors to protect your LEDs in case one fails. here is the official data sheet for the LED.

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf

the forward voltage for the leds @1a is 3.7 for the RB and the CW greater than 5000K

its on page 4 second up from the bottom. if running at 700mA the forward voltage is only 3.5v. i hope this answers your questions. let me know if i can help in any other way.

aqui no hay problemas papi! lol

sure just post on this thread of what you want and i'll send it to you.

i'm trying to work all the kinks out with that site, so that's one more thing to report to them.

Hey James,

are you using buckpucks or are you making your own driver? if you are using buckpucks, the most you can run in series together is 6 LEDs. so the most in a power supply that you will ever need is 24v. (3.7*6=22.2v + 2v for buckpuck= 24.2v) the 3.7 is for both the CW and the RB. if you use this power supply, you can run upto 6 1A buckpucks.

yeah, what i'm thinking is the following:

(9) blues & (9) whites & (2) 700ma & (1) 1000ma dimmable pucks

(2) 24v/1.8 power supplies

(2) 120mm 24v fans (24v/.32a each per specs)

power supply #1 would have the (2) fans & (3) blues & (3) whites on (1) 1000ma buckpuck....leds in series....buckpuck & fans in parallel & would be on the sunrise/midday/sunset timing

power supply #2 would have (2) 700ma buckpucks in parallel w/ (6) whites on one & (6) blues on each puck in series & be on the midday timing

this lets me time it so the fans & 1/3rd the lights come on 1st, then the remaining lights also come on about 1-2hrs later, then reverses in the eve

.....or i might go w/ 1000ma buckpucks, but that would mean upping the power supply that has the (2) pucks on it to this 24v/2.5a supply

:o loool :lol: Thanks James and deepdvnarq!

Just want:

2 Royal Blues

1 Cool White

I'll PM you the Address and all other needed info

Ustedes son los mejores!

Gracias!

:o loool :lol: Thanks James and deepdvnarq!

Just want:

2 Royal Blues

1 Cool White

I'll PM you the Address and all other needed info

Ustedes son los mejores!

Gracias!

de nada chico!

yeah, what i'm thinking is the following:

(9) blues & (9) whites & (2) 700ma & (1) 1000ma dimmable pucks

(2) 24v/1.8 power supplies

(2) 120mm 24v fans (24v/.32a each per specs)

power supply #1 would have the (2) fans & (3) blues & (3) whites on (1) 1000ma buckpuck....leds in series....buckpuck & fans in parallel & would be on the sunrise/midday/sunset timing

power supply #2 would have (2) 700ma buckpucks in parallel w/ (6) whites on one & (6) blues on each puck in series & be on the midday timing

this lets me time it so the fans & 1/3rd the lights come on 1st, then the remaining lights also come on about 1-2hrs later, then reverses in the eve

.....or i might go w/ 1000ma buckpucks, but that would mean upping the power supply that has the (2) pucks on it to this 24v/2.5a supply

why dont you just get the power supply i linked to? it is 6.5A and is only $15 compared to the second power supply you linked to at $25? that way, you also have plenty of room to expand if needed and you could easily get the 1A buckpucks (you could always dim it down if necessary, will be brighter than the 700mA too). you should wire the 2 fans in series also becaue that would divide the v on the two fans and equal 12v each. if you wire the fans in parallel they would get 24v each. this would damage the fans quickly unless you purchase 24v fans. or run a separate power supply (walwart of 12v) just for the fans.

why dont you just get the power supply i linked to? it is 6.5A and is only $15 compared to the second power supply you linked to at $25? that way, you also have plenty of room to expand if needed and you could easily get the 1A buckpucks (you could always dim it down if necessary, will be brighter than the 700mA too). you should wire the 2 fans in series also becaue that would divide the v on the two fans and equal 12v each. if you wire the fans in parallel they would get 24v each. this would damage the fans quickly unless you purchase 24v fans. or run a separate power supply (walwart of 12v) just for the fans.

the fans i am looking at are 24v....but yeah if i use the 12v pc fans i have now, i'll go series

i musta had a brain fart cause i didn't notice the 2.5a one i linked was more expensive than the 6.5a one you did LOL

appreciate the look-out/advice ;)

so would you go buckpucks & the listed power supplies or meanwells??? if meanwells, which ones & whats a good place to get them???

i guess if i went meanwell, i could give up the sunrise/sunset & have them all on at once, but i'd still like the dimmable.....kinda like to dim blue & white seperately so as to get the color balance along w/ the intensity i want. just trying to get the best compromise, but price is the biggest factor

i've also considered adding some red crees from dealextreme since red+blue=purple....to try & maybe get a more purple hue. thoughts??

If this was my gig, I'd go with the buckpucks (1000mA). Meanwells are great for big systems and no real money savings for small ones. Also they are more of a pain to just make them work. The buckpucks are plug and play. 2 Potrans 6.5A 24v PS (for expandibilty). The blues on one set of buckpucks and the whites on another set so a can control the kelvin. You can also do a dawn dusk effect with this too. The red crees would bleach/kill your corals. The red spectrum is too much for them. Coincendentally, the cool whites have just enough red. If you want more pop in your coloring/corals, add a UV(still in visible light range) or 2 from kaidomain.com. It will take a month for those to come in and the max is 700 mA. The reason for the 1A instead of the 700mA is that it is simply brighter. You cam always dim down the leds but you can't turn it up past the max.

Dennis

If this was my gig, I'd go with the buckpucks (1000mA). Meanwells are great for big systems and no real money savings for small ones. Also they are more of a pain to just make them work. The buckpucks are plug and play. 2 Potrans 6.5A 24v PS (for expandibilty). The blues on one set of buckpucks and the whites on another set so a can control the kelvin. You can also do a dawn dusk effect with this too. The red crees would bleach/kill your corals. The red spectrum is too much for them. Coincendentally, the cool whites have just enough red. If you want more pop in your coloring/corals, add a UV(still in visible light range) or 2 from kaidomain.com. It will take a month for those to come in and the max is 700 mA. The reason for the 1A instead of the 700mA is that it is simply brighter. You cam always dim down the leds but you can't turn it up past the max.

Dennis

thanks for all the advice....i looked back & evil actually recommended 30 leds for what i'm setting up, so i'm thinking i might go w/ 18 now & add 12 more as funds permit.

good to know about the red.....it came up cause i have one of those ebay growlights that is/was for the fuge of my sump on a different build i was working on & i liked the purple look it gave off. i couldn't find the uv led w/ a star on dealextreme or kaidomain.....only bare emmiters.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4334

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=8813

i did find these on ebay, but they are only 350ma....(2) for $20 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=230329594674

right now, its looking like i'm not gonna have the $$ to get in on the group buy since the car insurance & tags are both up for renewal :(

but i REALLY appreciate all the help/advice......i have lost countless hours sitting on the couch browsing dealextreme, ebay, ledsuppy, mpja, heatsinkusa, & meanwell not to mention 1/2 a pad of paper making rough sketches, voltage calculations & price breakdowns LOL

th_crazy.gif

thanks for all the advice....i looked back & evil actually recommended 30 leds for what i'm setting up, so i'm thinking i might go w/ 18 now & add 12 more as funds permit.

good to know about the red.....it came up cause i have one of those ebay growlights that is/was for the fuge of my sump on a different build i was working on & i liked the purple look it gave off. i couldn't find the uv led w/ a star on dealextreme or kaidomain.....only bare emmiters.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4334

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=8813

right now, its looking like i'm not gonna have the $$ to get in on the group buy since the car insurance & tags are both up for renewal :(

but i REALLY appreciate all the help/advice......i have lost countless hours sitting on the couch browsing dealextreme, ebay, ledsuppy, mpja, heatsinkusa, & meanwell not to mention 1/2 a pad of paper making rough sketches, voltage calculations & price breakdowns LOL

th_crazy.gif

sorry to hear that. i know it sucks not being independantly rich (i'm in the same boat)! lol how big of a tank are you doing? it sounded small so that's why i recommended the buckpucks, i have a 37 gal (42 leds) that i am working on and i went with the the meanwells (4) on those even with the added work to get them going. it is worth it because of the size and money savings o at that point. well at least you have a plan set up already for when you are ready. here is the link for the uv leds, you have to enter "3w uv". if you also put down LED, you get all this other stuff.

http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1690

if you go the uv route, get those as soon as possible. last month they were at $7.75 a piece and are now at $10 each. (free shipping). if you decide to give a look into the meanwells, powergate sells those. there is a meanwell thread that explains how to make the dimmer for the meanwells.

i'm new at this stuff too and i'm still learning a lot. it been real fun learning the technical jargon of the electrical world. google has been my freind and it definately feels like i was in college again.

good luck to you and we are always here.

thanks for the dealextreme link.....i couldn't find them for the life of me LOL

are the dealextreme ones 700ma?? the site gives no specs, but i guess since they are titled as "3w" that means they are 700ma. i might just order them from the ebay link since they ship from NYC & won't take forever to get here....even if they are only 350ma

i also found the powergate site after i posted....added to the bookmarks (i've had to make a special sub-folder in my bookmarks called "led fixture setup links") LOL

the tank i'm planning on doing will be out of a 20long (30*12.5*13) & filtration chambers will be on one end of the tank instead of the rear. doing it this way, so i have a 3-sides viewable peninsula tank to go on the end of the couch :)

so the display portion will be 24*12.5*13 & it'll have 4 chambers in the filtration area.....1) overflow w/ tunze 9002....2) media compartment w/ carbon & gfo in mesh bag....3) refugium w/ cheato....4) return pump chamber. the refugium chamber i plan on lighting w/ some cheap ebay LEDs i have laying around

i'm also gonna make a stand/canopy/surround to cover the rear section, so it'll look like this:

allinonenano.jpg

if i were to get the ebay ones that are 350ma, you think i should run 3 of them??? or bite the bullet & wait forever to get the 700ma ones from kaidomain & run 2???

hey Jmes,

that's going to be real nice when everything is done. you'll have to start your build thread and take lots-o-pictures. i was rereading my previous posts and i might have misled you on the max amperage of the uv leds. evil cleared that up. where i wrote:

"The reason for the 1A instead of the 700mA is that it is simply brighter. You cam always dim down the leds but you can't turn it up past the max. " (also should have fiished with "if more light is wanted/needed)

i was refferring to the buckpucks with the cw and the rb, not the uv's. i sort of expected you to read my mind and know that i was talking about. :lol:

my apologies James and thanks for the catch Mr LED GAWD. :D (vacation? who in their right minds takes vacations? ;) )

Would like to get into this one also after seeing everyone LED's setups im convinced. Is that 8.00 cover shipping and paypal to canada?

Would like to get into this one also after seeing everyone LED's setups im convinced. Is that 8.00 cover shipping and paypal to canada?

it will probably a little more for shipping but pm me your address and i can give you a qoute. $3.00 is for paypal and the $5 is for shipping. so whatever the cost of shipping to you plus $3 bucka-roos.

I'm completely new to this LED lighting but would like to get into it.

How many led's would I need for my 30g cube?

I see that you're from Vegas as well, can I pick up locally from you?

Archived