Coral Vue Hydros

What kind of lighting should I upgrade to?

GobyMan

So I think I am going to bag the 2 x 55 watt fixture I got for my 5 1/2 gallon and go for something a little less over the top.  What does everyone recommend.  I would like to get something without remote ballasts but if need be, I suppose I can work something out.  I have looked at the CSL 2 x 32 watt hood, but it seems too small for the tank.  I guess I would need to suspend it from the ceiling or something.  I have a custom hood on my tank now which my mighty mite is attached to...

Any ideas??

the 2x55w wasn't bad gobyman, especially if you customized it.

if you're going for clams, sps, etc. then go icecaps if you're trashing the pc idea.  they expensive but cheaper in the long run.  mh's is a little too much for a 5.5-gal imo (heat wise).

Are you trying to bake your fish or just fry them?  2x55 on a 5 gallon, is way to much.  At most 2x24 is sufficient.

how's the reliability of the 70w versus the more common wattages?  i've heard (thru unreliable sources mind you) that the 70w are poor quality.

gobyman, if you are gonna use the 70w mh, which is better light imo also, remember you're gonna have to keep it elevated from your tank.

my thing is cost.  pc's are cheaper and less expensive to run for about the same bang.

how's the reliability of the 70w versus the more common wattages?  i've heard (thru unreliable sources mind you) that the 70w are poor quality.

gobyman, if you are gonna use the 70w mh, which is better light imo also, remember you're gonna have to keep it elevated from your tank.

my thing is cost.  pc's are cheaper and less expensive to run for about the same bang.

NanoReefer53
Originally posted by tinyreef

pc's are cheaper and less expensive to run for about the same bang.

not quite, MH's will give off alot more bang ! Of course though, PCs will be a whole lot cheaper, but not if u can find a good deal ;)

Archived