Pod Your Reef

Smurf Snot Zoas..

Kraylen

The Propagator

No problem. Yeah I used to get those literally by the hundreds all the time.

I think I have a pic of a colony of them in my frag tank thread actually ?

They are so common in Florida waters it isn't funny. But the minute some one slaps a name on them BOOM ! "OMG THEY ARE SO RARE !" :lol:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes yes no. had both but the blue steels melted. blue hornets going on strong, very healthy

blue steels were doing great for a couple weeks and were sprouting babies like crazy but seems like african zoas don't like my tank.

No problem. Yeah I used to get those literally by the hundreds all the time.

I think I have a pic of a colony of them in my frag tank thread actually ?

They are so common in Florida waters it isn't funny. But the minute some one slaps a name on them BOOM ! "OMG THEY ARE SO RARE !" :lol:

Yeah, gfy Duane.

whattup32533

And about the blue steels melting....its happening all over the country, we got a blue steel colony at the LFS i work at and they slowly melted, I personally got some from somewhere else, they too have melted away except one polyp, but all around the country they are melting

The Propagator

Its called the Florida curse dude.

Most all Florida zoanthids melt away with in a month any more.

Dose Vitamin C pronto. Just make sure you keep dosing it though because once you stop the melting will resume.

FiReBReTHa
Blue Steel/Hornet/Bonnet All the same.. pick a name ;)

No,

Those are not bluehornets therefore is false advertising to sell them as such.

Those are Blue dragon eyes, / african blues / blue steel.

They require SPS like conditions, high flow and high light for the best chance at preventing them from melting,

But agin,

Those are NOT blue hornets

blue hornets are easily identifiable with an alternating skirt finger pattern.

Blue_Hornet.jpg

FiReBReTHa
According to what authority?

THESE are actually blue hornets.

574074019_994abb3ed0.jpg

noobs

To the person who first ID'd them, Son.

http://zoaid.com/articles005.php

Jeebus, noobs with 10k in posts! how much bad information you spreading? try using google to verify your information as well as ZOAid for proper identification.

and maybe googling someones username before calling them a noob so you realize who they are so you dont go ahead and make a big foot in mof comment...

Plus, which noob made a for sale post not in the classifieds section and under the livestock discussion forums and even went as far to mislabel his product to make a few extra bucks?

Needreefunds

Blue_Hornet.jpg

These are PURPLE Hornets, no?

Most pics I have seen of Blue Hornets share a similar ring pattern, but with a blue disc and lack the alternating skirt.

What Kray has pictured looks to be what I have seen called Blue Hornets before. JMO.

BKtomodachi
To the person who first ID'd them, Son.

http://zoaid.com/articles005.php

Jeebus, noobs with 10k in posts! how much bad information you spreading? try using google to verify your information as well as ZOAid for proper identification.

and maybe googling someones username before calling them a noob so you realize who they are so you dont go ahead and make a big foot in mof comment...

Plus, which noob made a for sale post not in the classifieds section and under the livestock discussion forums and even went as far to mislabel his product to make a few extra bucks?

2rw7yic.jpg

danimal1211
BHSFirst off Firebreatha, the link you posted is for purple hornets which ironically are not the polyps you gave a picture of (those resemble black hole suns) but that's not the purpose of BKtomodachi's reply which meant to say that the names on Zoaid.com or anywhere else are not official identification of those corals, just trade names.
FiReBReTHa
First off Firebreatha, the link you posted is for purple hornets which ironically are not the polyps you gave a picture of (those resemble black hole suns) but that's not the purpose of BKtomodachi's reply which meant to say that the names on Zoaid.com or anywhere else are not official identification of those corals, just trade names.

its the hornet identification of alternating colors on the fingers of the skirt is where I am showing there to be able to classify it as a hornet.

Those are NOT SteveOhhs - black hole suns his go straight from the inner white to the ring in the center.

But trade names are what are coming into question right now. The OP has claimed that the posted Zoa's he has are Blue hornets which is blatantly incorrect and just trying to take advantage of the price tag the name brings.

ZoaID is not the bible, but its the closest thing we have to an official posted standard, unless you can quote something better..................

I am curious, you almost saying that I am incorrect in pointing out that the Zoa's being sold as "blue hornets" are not in fact, blue hornets.

reefpets.com

It seems as if the name Hornets is getting added to about every zoanthid....... I have seen brown, red, green and blue. I am sure there are many others. But, the Blue Hornets are the only one that deserve the name Hornets since they are extremely simular to Purple Hornets. The name Hornet comes from the ultering yellow and purple skirt. If the zoa does not have that then the name hornet should not apply in my opinion......

FiReBReTHa
It seems as if the name Hornets is getting added to about every zoanthid....... I have seen brown, red, green and blue. I am sure there are many others. But, the Blue Hornets are the only one that deserve the name Hornets since they are extremely simular to Purple Hornets. The name Hornet comes from the ultering yellow and purple skirt. If the zoa does not have that then the name hornet should not apply in my opinion......

Thanks Gary!

reefpets.com
Thanks Gary!

No problem. I think that you and I were posting at the same time. Therefore, I did not see your post and sort of posted the same remarks.

FiReBReTHa

Blue_Hornet.jpg

Photo Props go out to Kev2me, Thanks!

Oh for the love of god. Do you know what they are? There Zoanthids. Thats all they are. He could call them ultra rare sunshine in my pants palys and it wouldn't make a lick of difference because they are simply zoa's.

I don't have Blue Hornets, but I wanted to show y'all my Flaming Monkey Butt Hornets....

IMG_1220.jpg

Please don't try to argue about what the Flaming Monkey Butt Hornets are...I AM the original namer of them!!!!

Archived