Innovative Marine Aquariums

June 2009 - Mini_GBR

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

For June we're featuring Mini_GBR and his 24 gallon nano reef!

featuredreef.jpg

Click the picture above to check out his reef profile! You can find Mini_GBR's tank journal here in our Members Aquariums forum. Feel free to post any comments or questions you may have for Mini_GBR, and he'll try his best to answer them.

el fabuloso

Congratulations! What an amazing tank and quite an exciting journey. Your LPS and acan collection are to die for! :o

Congratulations! What an amazing tank and quite an exciting journey. Your LPS and acan collection are to die for! :o

Thanks!!! LPS get some of the most amazing colors and fascinate me, especially at night when they change to feeding.

That is amazing! Three years old too, thats a lotta time into one tank!

Haha, yeah. I would have setup another one, or a larger one, but you know that whole saying about how if it ain't broke! One day I'll get a 40g or 60g cube when i have the space and learn how to be a better plumber.

Congratulations! Simply Beautiful!

Man, look at those colors... woooo

Very nice. B)

Thanks. Glad you liked. :happydance:

Very nice aquarium, I must say. Where abouts in So Cal are you? I am in Chino Hills. I just started a Solana reef literally a week ago. I'd love to see your tank in person one day and pick your brain a bit.

Cheers. :)

Very nice aquarium, I must say. Where abouts in So Cal are you? I am in Chino Hills. I just started a Solana reef literally a week ago. I'd love to see your tank in person one day and pick your brain a bit.

Cheers. :)

Those Solana's are pretty sweet tanks, I've thought about getting their 60g cube for a long time. Someday...

Live on the border of Venice and Santa Monica just south of where the 10 freeway ends. People are more than welcome to stop by and check out the system if they are in the area (usually nights or weekends). Again, its great to expand the reefing community so I'm always looking to meet more people. Just pm me if you ever make it out to this side of town.

Very sweet tank.One day i hope my lps grows out like yours

Checked out your thread, I think you are more than on your way. I'd love to see some close-ups of your acan's, maybe do some fragging and trading at some point!

-Mike

Ill try and get some pics up on my thread.There pretty much all smaller frags right now but some have 15-20 babies on each right now.Its funny i was just thinking today that i cant wait for them to grow out and find people that will trade acan frags.Its a great way to get a nice mix.

Those Solana's are pretty sweet tanks, I've thought about getting their 60g cube for a long time. Someday...

Live on the border of Venice and Santa Monica just south of where the 10 freeway ends. People are more than welcome to stop by and check out the system if they are in the area (usually nights or weekends). Again, its great to expand the reefing community so I'm always looking to meet more people. Just pm me if you ever make it out to this side of town.

-Mike

Creepy coincedence. My dad lives out there (right near the Venice Canals) and I need to to visit him soon actually. I'll PM you once I know abouts when.

Cheers,

~Darren

I read your TOTM article...great write up about your experience. There are indeed many wise nuggets for everyone at NR.

Beautiful tank.

From one June TOTM (2008), to another...... Congrats!! Very nice tank! ;)

Thanks! I love the blue spotted jawfish, i had to choose early on between that or the shrimp / goby pair. There's always next tank.

WOW

Congratulations! Great lps growth.

Thanks again for the compliments!

I read your TOTM article...great write up about your experience. There are indeed many wise nuggets for everyone at NR.

Beautiful tank.

Hopefully there are a few in there. I realized when i finished the write up it was a bit longer than past entries, but I figured it was better to be a bit long than to edit it down, as long as it stayed interesting.

DiverReefer

Really nice.

Skimmers are not necessary for systems our size, though they can allow for a more lax maintenance routine. I say this because I ran my system for 3 years without one, and haven't seen enough change for the better since adding it. In fact, it has created new problems that may lead to its removal.

What are the new problems you have encountered? Will you take out the skimmer or try and work with the new challenges?

great write up and congratulations to a well deserved June Reef Profile... :)

Thanks Marvin. If you ever have another extra PB frag that you want to 'accidentally' break off, I'm still down to trade or buy. I'll make room somehow in that tank of mine!!!

Really nice.

What are the new problems you have encountered? Will you take out the skimmer or try and work with the new challenges?

I have been working out the challenges, mostly i have had a lot of issues getting the foam to really be consistent. Obviously there is a break in period, but its been almost 2 months now, and sometimes it foams over like crazy (not the nasty stuff I would want out), and sometimes nothing for days. Mostly I get annoyed with the bubbles in the tank (solved with a filter sock, but more additional equipment in an already packed sump area), and ultimately I have yet to see a huge difference in the happiness of the livestock. I am going to give it a few more months before i make my final decision as to whether i keep it or not, but like i stated in the write up, this tank was skimmer-less as a mixed reef with no issues. I have seen the difference in the larger tank i had and how a skimmer was beneficial, but from my experience with the smaller tank, the added nutrients may actually have helped the growth in my system.

Archived