ReefCleaners.org

Eco-Lamps LED Reef Light (KR91) Review

acrofish

Sure. Depends on the depth and the lens angle. 500+ PAR is pretty easy with 40 degree optics at 12".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Last week I ordered a KR91-14 --- should be here in another week or two. The new KR91's come with the timer like the KR92's have but the price has defiantly gone up a bit since these 1st posts.

I do have a friend with a PAR meter but he lives 2 hours away. Once I get the unit I'll try and get the PAR meter from him and do some. tests.

I will be putting this on a tank no deeper then 12" or 13" but will try and do PAR tests down to 20" or so on a test tank.

I quite look forward to that info, thanks in advance.

I've been using my KR-91 since April. So far so good I guess. Mine are easy-to-keep corals so I didn't expect anything spectacular. But it was definitely much better than the stock lights. I love the low heat, low maintenance and shimmer.

Last week I ordered a KR91-14 --- should be here in another week or two. The new KR91's come with the timer like the KR92's have but the price has defiantly gone up a bit since these 1st posts.

I do have a friend with a PAR meter but he lives 2 hours away. Once I get the unit I'll try and get the PAR meter from him and do some. tests.

I will be putting this on a tank no deeper then 12" or 13" but will try and do PAR tests down to 20" or so on a test tank.

Well roughly you get 1/2 the PAR using the KR92 LED system compared to the 400 watt MH but...............

Some things to consider.

Eco-lamps sells the KR92 as a replacement for 250 watt MH not a 400 Watt

What kind of MH system is that --- refectors/ballast/bulb etc.... very subjective spreadsheat

and lets not forget

are these someones actual PAR values as tested by the spreadsheet author or did he just take the manufacturer spec sheets.

An interesting spreadsheet just not sure how useful it really is without more information.

Well my KR91-14 came today :D 7 business days turn around time. The unit was packed great and looks awesome. I took pictures of the box and it's packing. This weekend will post a review with lots of pics. I should be able to borrow a PAR meter within the next week or two (2+ hours drive to borrow it). When I get PAR readings will post them also.

Only one issue so far that I see would get less then a 10 review and probably an 8. The review is coming.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info. Please let us know what the customs charges are. I would like to know the full cost of this light. Any info about a retailer or a rep in the USA selling this light? I would prefer having someone in the USA for support.

I'm looking to light an 18" cube that's now in the planning phase. This looks pretty good. I also think I would want black but I'm not seeing any black 110V fixtures on the website. Black only comes in 220V.

Thanks for all the info. Please let us know what the customs charges are. I would like to know the full cost of this light. Any info about a retailer or a rep in the USA selling this light? I would prefer having someone in the USA for support.

I'm looking to light an 18" cube that's now in the planning phase. This looks pretty good. I also think I would want black but I'm not seeing any black 110V fixtures on the website. Black only comes in 220V.

Had the light for over a month now and still no customs charges. I do not know of any rep in the US which is why I bought direct from Hong Kong but it was a really pleasant experience.

The KR91-18 110v in black is there just a little hard to find. Go to the KR91-18 page and then use the little page [2] button. Here is a link to that page

Eco-Sell.com KR91-18 110v Black

They offer the black in 110v, there are usually 2 pages, you just have to go the next page. They offer both versions of voltage in both all colors

Looks like these lights are being rebadged and imported.

See:

http://acanlighting.com/

That is definatly the KR-92. I wonder if they are going to get the KR91 call it maybe A101 :lol:

That should make it easier for people in the US to get these. Prices are just a few dollars different so I guess it all comes down to shipping but is that a wholesale price or a retail price they have listed.

And why would they put a paragraph in their website acting like they are manufacturing them (seemed that way to me) when these are obviously Eco-Lamps lighting.

That is definatly the KR-92. I wonder if they are going to get the KR91 call it maybe A101 :lol:

That should make it easier for people in the US to get these. Prices are just a few dollars different so I guess it all comes down to shipping but is that a wholesale price or a retail price they have listed.

The guys at Eco-lamps put me in touch with Acan Lighting. Acan is just getting their web site going now. As recently as Tuesday this past week their website was only the home page. I don't know why the KR-91/A101 is not on the website. Probably it just wasn't put up yet. But the prices have to be retail.

I ordered a KR-91-18B which is going on a shippment leaving on Tuesday to Acan. Yes, the US model number is A101-18B. It'll be on the slow boat from China taking a month to get here but it saves me the $75 shipping charge. Acan is in Commack NY which is close to me so I can pick it up.

The guys at Eco-lamps put me in touch with Acan Lighting. Acan is just getting their web site going now. As recently as Tuesday this past week their website was only the home page. I don't know why the KR-91/A101 is not on the website. Probably it just wasn't put up yet. But the prices have to be retail.

I ordered a KR-91-18B which is going on a shippment leaving on Tuesday to Acan. Yes, the US model number is A101-18B. It'll be on the slow boat from China taking a month to get here but it saves me the $75 shipping charge. Acan is in Commack NY which is close to me so I can pick it up.

Sweet let us know when you get it. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

What are the tank dimensions you are going to us it on ??

Sweet let us know when you get it. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

What are the tank dimensions you are going to us it on ??

It's going on a Marineland 18" cube with overflow. I'm waiting for my LFS to get the stand in. The tank, sump and pump and all in. The tank will be FOWLR until my light comes in. This will be my second marine tank. The first was way back in high school. I'll post pictures as it comes together.

• 10 months later...
Any updates, how are you getting on with this light and how does it compare to the standard pc lighting on the 24g?

Cheers

Nige.

I still have it, and like it. Compared with the standard pc light it is brighter, and bluer. It seems to be more than adequate for all kinds of LPS and softies. I have one SPS - a green monti digitata - it is surviving, but not thriving. The monti was bright green when I got it in March of this year, now it is a very pale green. It has barely grown a few mm maybe.

Also, there is something about the colour rendition being "bland". It's hard to describe but compared to MH or T5 lights that I see in the LFS, this LED is not as vibrant and dynamic. I have a large hammer that had beautiful hints of purple/bronze when I first got it, but the coral expelled a bunch of zoo soon after I got it and lost the purple shade. The coral is still very beautiful and healthy, but I wish it had kept the original colours more. I am thinking of getting a few Ecoxotic Stunners to see if they would help bring out the corals colour.

I love this light the most when only the blue LEDs are on, the flourescence is just beautiful.

When I bought it nearly 18 months ago I felt there weren't many choices available. If I were to go to market now, I figure there should be lots more to choose from.

Overall, I like it and plan to keep it for its useful life-cycle.

Many thanks for the update B)

Have your softies grown ok under these lights?

I have read that this light wouldn't be enough for SPS and would ned the KR92 for them but these are quite a bit more expensive.

Think I will get the KR91 and either add an Aquaray 600 or a 36w PC to supplement the lighting.

I have been looking around for similar units but here in the UK there are still not many available and the KR91 does look like its designed for purpose unlike some of the cannopy/tiles on the market.

How do you find evaporation since removing the original hood and have you since covered the filter compartments?

Many thanks

Nige.

Archived