ReefCleaners.org

YellowPony's Biocube 29 Journal

The_Yellow_Pony

here you go:

l_494fa99d737638823870e985675d30fc.jpg

yup, 18x18x24

I might have another pic...if I do, I will try and locate it for you :D

WOW keep it away.LOL tank looks good but I would be trading that snake in at the pet store for some in store credit for my tank LOL

Brad

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Yellow_Pony

Alright, More updates...

Well, the boring stuff first:

pH=8.1 (down a little, added buffer)

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia= <.25, almost undetectable

sg was up a little due to evap, 1.027

-added RO and we're good to go

Now, the fun stuff:

Found this guy chilling on my front glass this morning...not the snail:

100_3437.jpg?t=1244472152

Surrounded by these things:

100_3424.jpg?t=1244472179

100_3425.jpg?t=1244472196

Any idea what thes little bug-esque creatures around this un-ID'd bivalve(I think) are?

Everyones happy!

100_3422.jpg?t=1244472215

The button polyps are developing green centers!

I am going to meander to the LFS today...

I think that means I'm gonna spend money.....

omgomgomg

The_Yellow_Pony

Looks like my little white guys have been ID'd as pods.... pods and a hitchhiker clam...wooo fun stuff

The_Yellow_Pony

So... one of my hermits has now been nicknamed Highflow Harry, Hermit extraordinaire.

100_3441.jpg?t=1244478727

100_3442.jpg?t=1244478607

Macro, think I should pull it?

100_3443.jpg?t=1244478634

Wow for uber posting in my own thread....one would think I like to here myself type.....hmmm

The_Yellow_Pony

but.................My macro adapter/wide angle arrived for my P&S digital:

100_3458.jpg?t=1244490635

100_3462.jpg?t=1244490652

100_3476-1.jpg?t=1244490670

100_3468.jpg?t=1244490684

100_3470.jpg?t=1244490698

AHHHHHH!

100_3481.jpg?t=1244490715

SpankythePyro

haha inject it with lemon juice!!!

I hear they have free needle exchange programs in big cities...you could get the injection needle there :-p

The_Yellow_Pony

I have one...but I am kinda saving it for some peps!

I love your smiley spanko.... :haha:

I have a bunch of small ones...but no one has any peppermints right now.

Looks like it's all coming together quite nicely Mr. Pony. Can't wait to start my 29g thread later.... gotta test too.

The_Yellow_Pony
peppermint_2.jpg

There ya go :)

Thanks! Now my aiptaisia will me minty fresh!

Looks like it's all coming together quite nicely Mr. Pony. Can't wait to start my 29g thread later.... gotta test too.

Thank you! I will definitely check yours out once you get it going!

Still playing....anyone sick of all my pics yet?

100_3501.jpg?t=1244492926

100_3516.jpg?t=1244492941

Pod...caught on camera!

100_3520.jpg?t=1244492951

100_3521.jpg?t=1244492971

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks. I have been playing around with that macro lens adapter. It was about 30 bucks.

Now with video!

th_reefer_0001.jpg

Under Actinics....I think I'm getting better with my pics...

100_3574.jpg?t=1244512244

100_3576.jpg?t=1244512258

akabryanhall

Excellent job so far. I gotta say I love your enthusiasm with your tank. I can tell it will be a stunner. As far as your fish list goes..

your 2 clowns- A staple and I'm sure you are quite fond of the ones you have

Purple fire fish- Great personality but they can have intestinal issues. I lost mine but it was worth having him

Yellow Headed Jawfish- I would start with this beauty b4 the bsj. Remember they are jumpers. I know you have a biocube with lid, but I also know that you have a 2 inch gap between your overflow and plastic light cover in the back. Fish WILL find this. Lost a Black cap jaw in this fashion. Other fish to find this gap; My oscillaris, diamond back goby, my firefish (firefish are jumpers too) Only lost the jawfish.

This...http://shop.mediabaskets.com/product.sc?categoryId=16&productId=7

Mandarin- you can find a trained mandarin, but you should also have a backup population of pods. You can put chaeto in your back chamber with this...http://shop.mediabaskets.com/product.sc?categoryId=16&productId=23 set to opposite your hood lights. Introduce some pods and before you know it pods galore. Wait one year before adding mandarin

Other notes:

The plates are nice, but use up a ton of real estate on the sand. No room for frags on sea floor lol

Just things to think about

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks for taking the time to visit!

The 2 clowns are a must. My better half has grown quite attached to them.

I really....let me reiterate really....like the Helfrichi firefish. But, as we all know....the price of the stock list continues to rise. :doh: Probably a purple will do.

There is a pearly with a great personality at a LFS. I almost brought him home yesterday but I really think I still want the BSJ...then again....he has such a great personality.

I will be fabricating a DIY version of the jump guards. I also think I will be doing a 2nd chamber fuge mod. I think at this point, probably submersible lighting. If so, I will most definitely add some pods back there for a steady population.

I will also be making a DIY frag rack. so the sandbed space isn't a huge issue with the plate.

Thank you for all of your constructive input!

Blue spot jawfish have a less than stellar survival rate. I know there are those, even here on this board, that have kept them for what they consider a long time. But there are more that have tried and failed. I got a Bali Tiger Jawfish Opistognathus gilberti. Cool dude and fun to watch.

The_Yellow_Pony
Blue spot jawfish have a less than stellar survival rate. I know there are those, even here on this board, that have kept them for what they consider a long time. But there are more that have tried and failed. I got a Bali Tiger Jawfish Opistognathus gilberti. Cool dude and fun to watch.

I do keep seeing that but I dunno....what's everyone think about a Pearly with an attitude at the LFS?

I do keep seeing that but I dunno....what's everyone think about a Pearly with an attitude at the LFS?

I like them.

The_Yellow_Pony

Any issues being the first fish? All my levels yesterday were almost pristine...a slight trace of ammonia but falling....if it tests well today...you think?

And I will have added dinero to my coral budget if I scratch the BSJ for now. My gf was gonna by the BSJ for me which now leaves me with 100ish or more dollars towards something else.... :D

First pics on the new page! Gotta keep it interesting:

Huddle on the Mag Float

100_3584.jpg?t=1244559730

Green centers:

100_3588.jpg?t=1244559756

and another pic...

100_3591.jpg?t=1244559781

First I would like to say welcome to the BC29 club. It's a nice little tank that will go far with some minor mods.

It looks like you have the flow covered well. Now you need lights. I have a nanotuners 4.36 hood that I would be willing to sell. It might need a ballest but I can't check till I get home at the end of the week.

Water, I read that you were using tap water with your old tank and I'm sure you know now that is a bad plan. I know there are a lot of people that use Walmart water but IMO that is crap. I used it for a bit and when I switched to my own RO/DI system everything got WAY better. But when you use good, clean water for top offs you need to add some elements that you removed. Part AB is a good idea and some kind of trace elements. One more thing about water. What is the pH of freshwater? Not 8.4. Use some pH buffer in your top off water and thank me later.

Macro. Leave it. It will help battle the algae by competing for nutrients. Prune it as needed. Macro look more natural IMO.

Last but not least, SLOW DOWN!!!!! Give the tank some time! If you are still getting an ammonia reading YOUR TANK IS NOT CYCLED! It take time for the bacteria to catch up to the new bio load. Everytime you add a new life form your bio load goes up and you tank has to go through a mini cycle. When your tank is reading zero ammonia and zero nitrite the add ONE of your clown fish. Give the tank a week and then add the other. After you tank is about 6 months old you can go a little more crazy with additions all at once.

If you trust me on this one you will be way better off and it will save you money and lost live stock. I know you added cured live rock but you also added some rock from a store. And the whole tank will build up a later of bacteria that is vital to the tank's stability.

Lokks good so far! Keep up with the diligence!

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks for your input.

As of current:

pH=8.2

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia = 0.

Phosphate=0

dkh= 0

Calcium = 480

All params are good.

I have my first true addition today that will increase the bio-load:

What could it be?

100_3592.jpg?t=1244567905

100_3593.jpg?t=1244567919

I am willing to go as slowly as my cycle dictates and all is well as of now.

The_Yellow_Pony

It's a pearly Jaw. He is very carefully exploring his new surroundings(have added a deeper sandbed) and his colors look great. I occasionally see a bright yellow head peek out from across the room. He caught my eye yesterday at the LFS and with perfect readings this morning....today was his day.

Archived