Innovative Marine Aquariums

YellowPony's Biocube 29 Journal

The_Yellow_Pony

The_Yellow_Pony

Everything I saw about asterinas says that they will much corals and such....not true?

I will grab some hermits this weekend for the GHA. It think I have 4 blue legs in my old tank If I can wrangle them.

I also think I am getting some cyano on my gravel....very faint but it has that color...... *hangs head*

I hate cyano.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Yellow_Pony

Big update:

As I have stated before, I have this feeling my tank is cycling WAY fast. My biggest ammonia spike has been .50 and I have seen nitrates, nitrites, etc.....and today...everything tested PERFECT

pH=8.2

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia=0....maybe.15 but nothing really detectable.

kH=9

Phosphate=0

Ca=480

sg=1.025

100_3328.jpg?t=1244237055

The levels for kH and Ca are good, correct?

I was blown away....the diatoms even seem to be receding...or the snails are doing a superb job. Maybe both.

The frogspawn is great, same with xenia, mystery brown polyps, all 10 snails are still chugging along.

Woo hoo! I am so happy with how this tank is coming along!

SpankythePyro

Nice girly drink ;)

And nice params kH and Cal are perfect just keep an eye on them though because they can drop

btw: those mystery brown polyps are button polyps

asterinas dont, but there are extremely similar stars that do, but they are brownish color.

also i say its time for something a little bigger. mabey a small goby or shrimp. but just one for now

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks, I love my girly drinks.... that and straight liquor. No beer for this guy.

<-----

I was soooo surprised with my params and how, well dead on they were. Yay ID on the polyps.

I will be grabbing some hermits this weekend I think as a preventative for the small amount of GHA that has popped up...not much...but preventative.

Everything is going so smoothly.

fingerscrossed Hoping everything keeps up this way!

I will be grabbing some hermits this weekend I think as a preventative for the small amount of GHA that has popped up...not much...but preventative.

just to let you know, most hermits dont really eat GHA.

The_Yellow_Pony

I've had real good luck with blue legs eating it....well, suggestions?

I like different things so any suggestions are welcome...and I'm not too worried after my levels checked out like they did today. Not to say I'm going to go nuts but I thinking I can be more flexible with what I get.

Edit: I just saw your edit about adding something small. I am think 1-2 peppermints to sweep my aiptasia....if they choose to eat it.

great idea with the peppermint shrimp.

i heard emerald crabs really like GHA. one larger one will eat it all in a day if hes hungrey. you can also get some hermits. they are great scavengers for uneaten food and may eaat the GHA.

The_Yellow_Pony

So I think I want to avoid the emerald. Too many horror stories about them....

I grabbed the last 3 hermits out of my old tank and gave them a trip to the new one. I also grabbed 2 more small rocks out of my old tank....both had feather dusters attached that got pissed off about the move. I never realized how much mucus an irritated feather duster could produce. I did my best to remove any residual mucus with a turkey baster.

I will check water params and get an updated FTS when I get home from work today.

The_Yellow_Pony

So, small spike in ammonia today...maybe from the feather dusters sliming? All snails look good...3 hermits accounted for.

ph=8.2

nitrate=0

nitrite=0

ammonia=.50

Most recent FTS:

100_3329.jpg

The smaller feather duster is on the rock in the front....he was being shy

100_3332.jpg

I will continue to update daily.

**on a side note, I think I am going back to school for biology...maybe eventually marine bio or herpetology....not sure yet...I guess I have to move somewhere with a nice coast :P

The_Yellow_Pony

Xenia is looking happy....fully extended...and I think it is getting bigger:

100_3335.jpg?t=1244340423

100_3337.jpg?t=1244340368

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks dude. I would pick up my peps this weekend but the LFS is out.... :tears:

But oh well....I'll wait for the ammonia spike to dissipate...should only take a day or 2 I think.

My hermits are exponentially more active in the new tank...makes me want to test the old tank to see how bad it really is..... :eek:

If all goes according to plan, I should be adding my clowns from the old tank next weekend or the following week. Everything has just fallen into place.

Once the clowns are moved, I can give my damsels away and sell my hardgoods for monies for live goods :happydance:

The_Yellow_Pony

I will post A...and I mean A pic of the old tank if you swear you won't flame the crap out of me.

The_Yellow_Pony

ok......I said you get one....and if I see any negative feedback from anyone....I will remove the pic as I have issued my disclaimer.... This is NOT for the faint of heart......

100_3341.jpg?t=1244341834

I know... shameful....but....

:wizard:

POOF!!!!

100_3329.jpg?t=1244342204

The_Yellow_Pony

I told you it was bad.... but a couple things went wrong...

A.I cut corners when I set it up to save money... no no # 1

B.I put it in my bedroom...the only time either me or the gf are in there is bedtime or...well...yeah....

C.I have used tap water in it since day 1. AHHHHHHH!

D.My light bulbs were shot like a year and a half ago....and still are....

Not this time though.

I am documenting everyday on here as well as in a notebook. :happydance: :happydance:

If you know anyone who wants cured LR...pm me... I think I have about 20 lbs or so left...it's got great corraline when cleaned off

The_Yellow_Pony

yeah, B indicates no interest at either given moment to do tank maintenance...lol.

All equipment in that tank is for sale too...I want to use the cash for some new...well, stuff...haha

The_Yellow_Pony

So, Diatoms are almost completely gone. Woot.

The little ammonia spike from yesterday has dropped.

pH=8.2

Nitrate=0

Nitrite=0

Ammonia=.25

I have no clue why I have ZERO nitrate. Tested with multiple test kits and 0 it is. I'm not complaining.

I hope to get 2 peppermints this next week. None of the LFS had any today...I drove all over and none...oh well.....i got to look at fun stuff anyway.

I also have a "macro lens" coming for my digital camera. I am curious to see how well it works.

It should be here tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll have some fun pics!

Oh....and my gf said she'd buy me my blue spotted jawfish when it's ready!

yeah.....What?

Archived