Innovative Marine Aquariums

YellowPony's Biocube 29 Journal

The_Yellow_Pony

The_Yellow_Pony

Alright, the time has come.....drumroll please.................................I picked up my BC29 today and it is setup time!!!!!!!!!

All of my other supplies arrived yesterday including the following:

1 x Reef master test kit

2 x koralia 1

1 x jager 100w heater

1 x refractometer

2 x coralife digital thermometer

1 x 15lb bag of reef salt

1 x 20lb bag "live sand"

So, after stand construction and some fiddling around. It is officially born!!!!!

I will be checking salinity and adding my sand and my first rock tomorrow.

The rock is coming from a 2yr established tank.

If I have some hair algae, other misc algae....would you scrub it off first or just let it do it's thing?

What is this? A curious kittycat inquires:

100_3187.jpg?t=1243638086

The stand was easy as pie to put together.

Chilling in it's new location:

100_3189.jpg?t=1243638133

Looking sexy all filled with water:

100_3196.jpg?t=1243638250

Salt added...mixing away:

100_3199.jpg?t=1243638285:mellow:

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The_Yellow_Pony

You are correct about the pokemon drawings. My gf likes to take the pokemon designs and modify them to her liking ^_^

Thanks!

The_Yellow_Pony

Soooo.....sand added.

100_3203.jpg?t=1243648067

SG= 1.030 after mixing.....a little high but I will bring it down a smidge once the water clears.

temp is running about 81-82' right now. I may tweak my heater down a bit to see if it's setting it too high.

The_Yellow_Pony

Cleared up nicely last night:

100_3204.jpg?t=1243686252

I have lowered the SG to 1.028....still needs to go a down a bit but I think I will be adding LR today.

I will be adding some 2 yr old from my current tank and I will be getting some new stuff!

From a Red Pony Dude ('99 GT Conv - red w/black top) to a Yellow Pony Dude...looks like you're off to a good start!

The_Yellow_Pony

update:

I've been busy this morning and stole some LR out of my old tank:

The piece on top has a flower nem that would not cooperate this morning and let go so...there he is...ugh,

100_3208.jpg?t=1243689198

100_3207.jpg?t=1243689268

I think I will be picking up some new LR later today. Scape will be better arranged once I have new rock

salinity is down to 1.026....think I should drop it anymore?

Temps are around 81.6.

The_Yellow_Pony

So that flower nem that wouldn't let go.....

...looks happier than it has since I got it forever ago......

100_3215.jpg?t=1243699790

I think it knew where it was going if it held on tight!

The_Yellow_Pony

Alrighty folks....picked up some new LR tonight.... here's the new scape:

100_3243.jpg?t=1243732099

FTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100_3240.jpg?t=1243732256

Look what I found stuck in the rock.....it must have come out of a store tank and this little guy got missed...some xenia i think:

100_3244.jpg?t=1243732313

Under actinics:

100_3249.jpg?t=1243732332

Under Moonlights:

100_3250.jpg?t=1243732375

If you look close you can see the stubborn nem glows green under moonlight.

Thanks for looking!

Starting to look good man! If you are ever unhappy with your rock size/shape while you're early in the cycling stages... a hammer and a screwdriver work wonders!

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks man. So I am trying to decide...should I leave my stubborn nem or try and coax it off. Are flowers in any way detrimental to a reef tank?

I have a colony of flowers in my tank, they are nice for reefs because they dont move around alot. I would keep them.

The_Yellow_Pony

Sweet...no worries then. I didn't realize that they fluoresce. I kill my day bulb and actinic and low and behold, green nem! In a bit I will be staking the tank out with a flashlight to see if anything fun came in on the new rock.

Nice man, new LR and flashlight are fun!

You wanna know a cool trick? Pick up one of those little "scorpion finder" keychain lights.. its a actintic style LED that you can shine into a tank and pop the color out on the spot :)

The_Yellow_Pony

Awesome. I will have to look into one of those. Thanks again for the suggestions. I will update if I see anything fun!

The_Yellow_Pony

Updates:

Ph=8.2

Nitrate=0.0

Phosphate=0.5

I still need to get my Nitrite and Ammonia tests...I though I had some but apparently not :angry:

So...the xenia hitcher that I got last night seems to be loving it:

DSC06951.jpg?t=1243804881

DSC06952.jpg?t=1243804905

Yes......that is aiptasia to the left of the xenia....

It appears to just be on that on rock....for now. I hit it with some lemon juice about 15 minutes ago.

Would a freshwater dip kill it? There are a bunch of little guys hanging around.....or should i just hold off and grab some shrimp to take care of it once the tank cycles?

Random pics:

DSC06941.jpg?t=1243805435

DSC06955.jpg?t=1243805543

I also have a weird little brownish thing....I don't know what but I will try to get pics in a bit!

nice tank bro!!! you got a nice hitchhiker there. i would kill the apstasia ASAP!! cuz once those things multiply you will never be able to get them out of our tank. i have tried getting wrasses and shrimp that eat them... never works. i would get them out now so you dont have to worry about them later

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks! So...more pics...haha

Left hand side:

DSC06980.jpg?t=1243806606

Right hand side:

DSC06981.jpg?t=1243806630

Mystery stuff:

It is brownish red and looks like a polyp maybe....I don't know...it is kind of spongy....

whatis.jpg?t=1243806659

The_Yellow_Pony

So....found another couple of ALIENZ!!!!

They were both too small for pics but the first was I think either a tiny bristle worm or the leg of some sort of star....it was poking out of a small hole in my rock about a half inch. The tip of the "mystery" part was read and changed to black about 1/4" down. It was not a gradual color change but an abrupt Red | Black.

Any guesses? I don't think it's a bristle because of the way it would kind of curl upwards like it was trying to grab stuff...

Also, what appears to be a little blueish gray with black stripes snail maybe???

SpankythePyro

Nice tank ;)

Get a red lense flash light or red cyran wrap and when all the lights are off search for more critters!

The_Yellow_Pony

So, I have verified the existence of at least one, if not 2 small bristle worms! Exciting I know.

Also, I have a few potentially hitch hiking zoas...maybe:

what.jpg?t=1243825884

whatis2.jpg?t=1243825900

They have been expanding since this morning.

Elite Twit

Looking good, looks like you're off to a good start! I especially liked the side views. What's to the right of the tank? I'm going with T's but I can't really tell.

The_Yellow_Pony

Thanks!

To the far right of the tank are my snake racks and on top of the one is a rosehair tarantula. To the left is a planted exo-terra for dart frogs. I can get a full wall shot if anyone wants! So....time to go full throttle on the aiptasia.... I found on of my xenia heads inside of my biggest aiptasia today...it was kind of neat to see because you could see the xenia inside... still makes me mad though :angry:

Archived