Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nanobuds JBJ 3 gallon Picotope

Nanobuds

I was planning on a couple trochus snails, pulled from my DT, and a blue leg or two. maybe an emerald instad of the BL's, but not sure. I need to see if I can find a tonga fighting conch, those are sweet too. I painted the back and bottom of my JBJ, and it looks sweet. the AC70 running on mine doesn't seem to be to much flow, but I did cut the tab off to slow it down. with my rock work it disperses pretty well, but doesn't blow the sand around.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ldogg: for what ever reason the AC50 doesn't seem to have that fabled tab. :( I should also mention that it was too much flow for my large mushrooms, the current would sneak up under then and flail them all around :P

patrick1234
half the reason why people fail in this hobby is by trying to emulate what an experienced reefer does when they lack said experience. If someone new to the hobby tried to emulate my tank I'd bet a a stack if would crash within a month.

Not true. Elfab did a really nice job with his post on how to set up a nano tank. If you follow it to the T you have about a 98% chance of your tank looking just as good as his.

patrick1234
ok thanks!!

yeah i really need to paint it :P

how should i since it is already setup?

Id take out all the water and rock tape it off and spry it.

yeah thats what i was thinking... just put rocks in a bucket , leave some sand and water, and cover with newspaper and spraypaint. thanks.

addicted2reefer
yeah thats what i was thinking... just put rocks in a bucket , leave some sand and water, and cover with newspaper and spraypaint. thanks.

CUC, i have 2 small turbos 2 blue legged hermitts, and a lettuce nudi.

Nanobuds, here is an idea for you, only because its already set up, and i wouldnt recommend painting with water in it (condensation might be an issue)

But i used a black piece of vinyl to cover the back of mine, yes i shouldve painted it first and when i stick a piece of cardboard behind it it makes a really bad reflection. so try to slide a lil piece od black or blue to your color choice and it should be easier than painting

Are you using the stock light? If so you might want to reconsider painting the back. It will mess with the reflection percentage of the back wall and suck up a small but substantial part of the already somewhat underpowered stock light.

Cardboard or plastic taped behind there will give measurably higher PAR throughout the back half of the tank. For a lot of tanks it doesn't matter all that much but in a borderline situation it could be a make or break difference.

i am currently using the light i that came with the pico, but soon i am going to switch to the 36 watt dual sattelite light that el fab has before i get any corals

patrick1234

Also if you do get over spray any place you dont want it I have found that a little bit of isopropyl (rubing alcohol) on cotten ballworks well for removing it.

The_Yellow_Pony

I figured I'd hop on for this Pico.... it's only fair, you've been following my BC29 ^_^

Looking nice so far.

thanks guys!! i am hoping to start adding livestock in a week or two :happy:

just need the nitrites to go down -_-

FTS 6-5-09

DSC_0036.jpg

addicted2reefer

Well done, I like the scape. I added a yellow coral banded shrimp a friend donated.

did you figure out what your gonna do with the backglass yet?

The_Yellow_Pony

You could also use black silicone for the back....if worse comes to worse, scrape it off. I love black silicone as long as you spread it nice and even. Just use a putty knife or even a bondo card(for body work on cars....the bondo cards are like 2 bucks at an auto repair store.

The_Yellow_Pony

No problem. I worry that your cardboard back may get wet and look like...well, monkey spooge at best.

hopefully i can transfer my YCG sometime next week... he just killed one of my montiporas in my nanocube :angry:

now im down to 1 acro and 1 dying montipora (thanks to him)

addicted2reefer

Yeah i wanna see the video of you fishin the YCG out of 24 gallons. good luck with that one.

How did your YCG kill your MONTI? mine perches on the digitata i have and now all i do is worry about it, i read here somewhere that a YCG will eat the polyps, so now every 20 mins im checkin it out to be safe, all polyps are opening and i dont see the fish hurting it in anyway.

but i am sorry to hear bout the BSJ and your Monti...

the YCG wouldnt stop picking on it, and it was pretty small in the first place. so it just about ate 80% of its polyps and it couldnt recover. so it bleached, then died...

addicted2reefer

dang that sucks. ive been watching my hermits, they climb on it too. they are both suspects in the damaged tissue on my Acans too. i had to move them to the NANO , i hope they come back , their tentacles still come out and they still grab food, its just a lil a damaged tissue around the egdes...

Archived