Pod Your Reef

Bubble Tip Anemone Purging A LOT!

Kamikaze

Quick question for you folks out there.

I have a 34g RSM up and running for 4 months and the BTA for one month or so..

The past four days my Green BTA has been purging 3-4 times within a 24 hour period. It used to only do this once a week generally the day after feeding it a silver side.

Water temp is 78

Salinity is 1.025

Amonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 10

Another note everything in the tank is looking/doing great. nothing new added except for a small Ricordia.

I just added a pic of the anemone...sorry it's an iPhone pic

Thanks bunches

post-44085-1243389107_thumb.jpg

Quick question for you folks out there.

I have a 34g RSM up and running for 4 months and the BTA for one month or so..

The past four days my Green BTA has been purging 3-4 times within a 24 hour period. It used to only do this once a week generally the day after feeding it a silver side.

Water temp is 78

Salinity is 1.025

Amonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 10

Another note everything in the tank is looking/doing great. nothing new added except for a small Ricordia.

Thanks bunches

Your tank was only up for 3 months when you added the bta? That is a litttle soon to add one. Purging should be about 1X a week. I have several and do not feed silversides, tried w/first one and it dropped them so I haven't tried again. Mine are happy with krill, shrimp, scallops and my homemade food. I used to feed every other day for growth, now I feed once a week and they will eliminate appx. once a week. They all do shrink down to about 1/2 size nightly which is normal. Have you checked your PH? Do you usea buffer? Have you checked your magnesium level? I switched salt mixes due to a problem keeping my PH up, now I have a heck of a time keeping my mag up. Also do you have a Kh test kit? Btas don't tolerate nitrate well, I keep mine closer to 0. Any one of these things may be causing your bta to react negatively. It seems to be purging the way they do upon acclimation, exchanging internal water, my best guess is that something is awry with your chemestry.

Sorry didn't address your photo. It looks to be in rough shape. Whats the white stuff by the foot? Watch it closely and if it starts to disintergrate (or if you see white curly stringy stuff, it's insides) remove it promptly. It will cause an amonia spike that will endanger everything in your tank.

You mention everything else in your tank is doing fine, anemones are much more sensative and delicate. They need a very stable mature system to survive. You added it much too soon. If you loose it don't get too discouraged, wait get your tank stablalized and try again.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a SERA test kit and it does not have a Megnesium test.

PH = 8.3

KH usually takes 7 drops to change to yellow now it took 5.

The white stuff is a newer piece of ruble I used to create a bummie (?) for it. I has moved only twice once behind the rocks away from the light and once to the lower right by the sand it has always moved back to this spot. I first put it where my frogspawn is now see pic. and it moved lower to this spot. I have a Red Sea Max with T5's I cannot recall the output of the 34g model.

I've tried to get the nitrates to zero w/o any affect I had them at 5 once after I removed the ceramic crap (bio balls). I run the skimmer every night from lights out for 12 hrs. or when nothing is coming out.

I have a carbon, filter floss, a phosban bag and a small bag of Purigen in the back.

My perams have been this way since the start, really weird.

The stuff that is getting purged is milky and stringy... the Clown and the Cleaner shrimp are removing it most of the time.

P.S. the pic ws taken earlier today around 3pm MTN time. this cycle is repeating itself every few hours.

I change water once a week 10-12g and I am due to change it thursday.

Oh yeah the anemone foot is around 11-12 inches below the surface

post-44085-1243391060_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a SERA test kit and it does not have a Megnesium test.

PH = 8.3

KH usually takes 7 drops to change to yellow now it took 5.

The white stuff is a newer piece of ruble I used to create a bummie (?) for it. I has moved only twice once behind the rocks away from the light and once to the lower right by the sand it has always moved back to this spot. I first put it where my frogspawn is now see pic. and it moved lower to this spot. I have a Red Sea Max with T5's I cannot recall the output of the 34g model.

I've tried to get the nitrates to zero w/o any affect I had them at 5 once after I removed the ceramic crap (bio balls). I run the skimmer every night from lights out for 12 hrs. or when nothing is coming out.

I have a carbon, filter floss, a phosban bag and a small bag of Purigen in the back.

My perams have been this way since the start, really weird.

The stuff that is getting purged is milky and stringy... the Clown and the Cleaner shrimp are removing it most of the time.

P.S. the pic ws taken earlier today around 3pm MTN time. this cycle is repeating itself every few hours.

I change water once a week 10-12g and I am due to change it thursday.

Oh yeah the anemone foot is around 11-12 inches below the surface

l keep my KH between 10-12, 7 is low and 5 is very low. Carbonate hardness is alkalinity, your reading is so low your PH is not 8.3

You need to get that up. I assume you don't use a buffer. I would check out some kind of alk buffer. I use Bionics 2 part calcium buffer. Part 1 an alkalinity buffer and part 2 calcium buffer. Do you have a clacium test kit? I check both calcium and KH once a week and add Bionics daily. It sounds like your anemone may be dying. Have you checked out this link? Shows pictures of dying anemones, do yours white stringy stuff look similar to the photos? If yes it is probably is on it's way out.

http://www.karensroseanemones.com/thedyingrose.htm

Your anemone looks very different in the 2nd photo. It looks very bleached, unhealthy. Was it white when purchased?

My Calcium is always 420-450, I'll test it in a few (EDIT: CA is a measely 360. I do have Bionics (just bought the other day) I'll start using it tonight. I was trying to finish up the last of my PurpleUp first.

I just tesed the PH and my chart only shows 8.0 and 8.5 and my color was squarely in between the two, hence the 8.3 reading.

It's the lights I can't seem to get a good pic of it's color.

It has always been a very light neon green/yellow. I watched it in my LFS for a few days and the color has always been the same, although it did pick up some pinkish tones along the edges where it was against the back rock which is loaded with coraline.

I did see the pics in the link and it looks similar to the top pic but definitely NOT like the other two pics in the link. The last two pix look like the innards are spilling out,,, this stuff in mine looks like the typical purge semi transparent stuff.

Of note the foot is still firmly attached to the rock!!!!!

Another pix 10pm MTN top down view hopefully is good color rendition

post-44085-1243396901_thumb.jpg

My Calcium is always 420-450, I'll test it in a few. I do have Bionics (just bought the other day) I'll start using it tonight. I was trying to finish up the last of my PurpleUp first.

I just tesed the PH and my chart only shows 8.0 and 8.5 and my color was squarely in between the two, hence the 8.3 reading.

It's the lights I can't seem to get a good pic of it's color.

It has always been a very light neon green/yellow. I watched it in my LFS for a few days and the color has always been the same, although it did pick up some pinkish tones along the edges where it was against the back rock which is loaded with coraline.

I did see the pics in the link and it looks similar to the top pic but definitely NOT like the other two pics in the link. The last two pix look like the innards are spilling out,,, this stuff in mine looks like the typical purge semi transparent stuff.

Of note the foot is still firmly attached to the rock!!!!!

I will still disagree with your PH reading. Kh is alkalinity which is directly related to PH, either KH or PH is wrong.

There is no such thing as a healthy neon bta either red or green, it is bleached. I have cared for them in the past and they can be saved with special care. They will shy away from light and refuse food sometimes. I would soak the food in selcon or zoe and give it tiny meals several times a week. By purge you mean poo right? It should be dark brown, stringy and thick not semi transparent. Keep an eye on it and hope for the best. I think it will help to get your Kh and PH to better levels and keep them there. Anemones are finicky and need stable enviroment to thrive.

Good luck :)

I will still disagree with your PH reading. Kh is alkalinity which is directly related to PH, either KH or PH is wrong.

There is no such thing as a healthy neon bta either red or green, it is bleached. I have cared for them in the past and they can be saved with special care. They will shy away from light and refuse food sometimes. I would soak the food in selcon or zoe and give it tiny meals several times a week. By purge you mean poo right? It should be dark brown, stringy and thick not semi transparent. Keep an eye on it and hope for the best. I think it will help to get your Kh and PH to better levels and keep them there. Anemones are finicky and need stable enviroment to thrive.

Good luck :)

Ok, thanks for all of your help. I just added the Bionic and will do a water change in the moring.

I'll watch him closely and keep you posted, just sucks my clown took to it right away and it's been looking good for a month too. So your concensus is water quality not lighting?

You never said what your wattage is on the T5s. It really sounds like something going on with your chemestry I don't think lighting would causie it to act this way. If your lighting is too weak however it will be difficult for it to recover it's zooanthea.

You never said what your wattage is on the T5s. It really sounds like something going on with your chemestry I don't think lighting would causie it to act this way. If your lighting is too weak however it will be difficult for it to recover it's zooanthea.

Here is what RSM's site says about the lights..."Complete lighting system 2 x 55 watt T5 power compacts (1 watt-liter/4 watt-gallon) 10000K/Actinic lighting."

I changed out 14g of water today and it looks alot better. starting the Bionics tonight. Since this wasw "bleached" when I git it, I think I have a good fight on my hands to ave it. I am trying to get the better half to loosen the purse strings so i can order the HQI upgrade from Nano-Customs. although I may go toplees and use a pendant light. :D

got any pics of when you first got it, i.e, healthy?

Unfortunately not, but rest assured until this last week (which coensides with the last water change) it looks the same as it does now.

From the pix that I posted is it supposed to me more like the color of my frogspawn?

Thanks

Sounds like you're on the right track. Your present lighting is alright, HQI would be better. I have HQI w/supplimental T5s on 2 tanks. Watch out you may(will) have heat issues, A fan will help but evaporation will be an issue. I am keeping my fingerscrossed for you. Good luck, got your work cut out for you.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Your present lighting is alright, HQI would be better. I have HQI w/supplimental T5s on 2 tanks. Watch out you may(will) have heat issues, A fan will help but evaporation will be an issue. I am keeping my fingerscrossed for you. Good luck, got your work cut out for you.

Yup a chiller will be next too.

I did my water change at noon today and tested after the lights were on for 6 hours and got the same PH reading, my KH went from 5 drops to 7, I also added the Bionic tonight and will test daily. Oh yeah my CA went from 360 - 420 just with the water change.

Thanks I really appreciate all of the help! :):)

R.I.P. my little BTA....serious bummer will try again in a year after I get my sump and HQI upgrade going and the tank is more established.

Sorry about your loss, but was inevitable. Good idea to wait a while then try again. If you think of think of this as a learning experience it may help, not a total loss. Try to get your Kh up a little more. test at the same time each day, mornings are best, that is when it is the lowest. If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. My husband is in the hospital with pnemonia. I have 4 kids, dog, cat. several SW tanks, laundry, I think you get the picture. Amidst all this craziness I just lost an insanely expensive red mini carpet anemone yesterday. It split and I think it didn't have adequate flow. It got a bacterial infection and I lost one. Never underestimate the importance of flow. I think I am going to loose the other now. I am really bummed out right now. Take care and good luck!

Sorry about your loss, but was inevitable. Good idea to wait a while then try again. If you think of think of this as a learning experience it may help, not a total loss. Try to get your Kh up a little more. test at the same time each day, mornings are best, that is when it is the lowest. If it makes you feel any better, you are not alone. My husband is in the hospital with pnemonia. I have 4 kids, dog, cat. several SW tanks, laundry, I think you get the picture. Amidst all this craziness I just lost an insanely expensive red mini carpet anemone yesterday. It split and I think it didn't have adequate flow. It got a bacterial infection and I lost one. Never underestimate the importance of flow. I think I am going to loose the other now. I am really bummed out right now. Take care and good luck!

Yeah I hear you.. Life gets busy.

The crazy thing is I thought I was doing good by starting with the anemone so it could wander and find it's home without burning a bunch of corals. Yup lesson learned. I will try again, but for now I'll see if the clown will take to my frogspawn...he seems a bit lost wihtout his buddy. :(

Archived