Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

Not sure how many more photos of just rocks and sands I can post. Haha. I think this thread is going to get real boring as I wait for the tank to cycle.

NanoReefNovice
Not sure how many more photos of just rocks and sands I can post. Haha. I think this thread is going to get real boring as I wait for the tank to cycle.

dont worry... we can fill in that time w/ useless banter. :lol:

If I turn my MP40W up past 1/3rd, my DSB sand starts flying around. No good.

--

Any thoughts on which skimmer?

No. Still thinking about it and researching. I'm leaning towards Tunze though.

Tunze would work well.

I'm now consolidating my sump to maximize refugium space. Robbert from Euro-Reef is putting together a 3.5" dual-pump (alloy meshwheel) Nano Skimmer. I am going to give it a whirl in my 55g once he has it dialed in. Could be an interesting option for you.

Edited by rroselavy
It seems luke the vortech isn't in the center of the tank and more towards the back. Any reason for that?

The return line on the very left is pushing water towards the right and through the front half of the tank, so I'm trying out the vortech on the back half of the tank moving water in the opposite direction. It's creating nice flow all around the rockwork, so I like it in this position for now.

Ahh, that new tank smell ... er ... look :)

Very sharp looking.

I love the new tank look as well. So clean.

Tigah,

I know you've been out of the loop for a while but also know your stuff. Here's a few skimmers that rock and the prices aren't that bad. Maybe a little more than what you want but WELL worth it.

iTech 100 - http://www.i-techskimmers.com/forums/ Running new pumps made by Tunze and John is awesome. This is what I plan on upgrading too.

H&S 90-F1000 - I was using this one before and now they have an upgraded needlewheel that is close to the 100G version http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?produc...=253&page=1

Reef Octopus 160 - Made a little cheap but from what I have heard they work great!

Hope this helps! Whatever you get I'm sure you will make the right decision.

-Dave

Edited by DaveFason
iTech 100

H&S 90-F1000

FWIW: I just looked into these skimmers:

The iTech 100 stock footprint (with Tunze pump) = 9"x11", but the manufacturer can drill the input on the opposite side of the output to make the footprint 7"x13" if desired.

H&S 90-F1000 footprint = 9.25"x5.25", not quite as narrow as advertised. Runs on only 4-5w.

Tigah,

I know you've been out of the loop for a while but also know your stuff. Here's a few skimmers that rock and the prices aren't that bad. Maybe a little more than what you want but WELL worth it.

iTech 100 - http://www.i-techskimmers.com/forums/ Running new pumps made by Tunze and John is awesome. This is what I plan on upgrading too.

H&S 90-F1000 - I was using this one before and now they have an upgraded needlewheel that is close to the 100G version http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?produc...=253&page=1

Reef Octopus 160 - Made a little cheap but from what I have heard they work great!

Hope this helps! Whatever you get I'm sure you will make the right decision.

-Dave

Dave & Roselavy,

I definitely have been out of the loop, so I appreciate your input. A lot of new equipment models and such.

Awesome start TB...

Great to see ya back B)

Reef-On

Izzue

Hey man. Good to see you around as well. B)

Edited by Tigahboy

So I called an LFS near me during lunch to see if they had relatively cheap LR. I wanted to throw some more into my sump. They gave me a reasonable price for fiji LR so I went in not expecting much. In fact, I didn't even really look at the pieces and just asked them to get me 10lb worth.

Took it home and the pieces were actually pretty nice. Check out this one.

Tank58.jpg

So I quickly took out my hammer and chisel and cracked them into more workable pieces. Threw them into my tank, then rushed back to the office.

So here's the latest FTS with new rocks.

Tank57.jpg

Here's the first FTS from above taken on 6/12/09 for comparison.

Tank56.jpg