SaltCritters.com

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

Paul E. Wog

Unfortunately my only experience with T5s is as an actinic supplement to my blazing MH setup. I can tell you that my blue maxi which was once under T5s has gotten a LOT bluer under MH then when I first got it. So it may be that T5 just cant bring out the blues like your used to under MH. But I really cant say from experience and I am sure a few T5 acolytes will rip me on this one. Just an observation.

Do it! Put in the bulb now! j/k

I want to swap out my bulbs too - I was going to go with

2 ATI Blue+

1 UVL Indigo Sun

1 GE 6500

I'm also considering adding a strip of blue LEDs but that might be too much blue. Sigh.

I would suggest switching out the Aquablue for another ATI Blue+.

Weetie... This was a good call! I replaced the Aquablue with Blue+ and the tank looks killer now! I'm not actually even quite sure what the difference is, but the colors seem to pop more. Hopefully the sps will color up too. I'm excited!

:happydance:

What about switching out the Fiji Purple (instead of the Aquablue) with another ATI Blue+? Any thoughts on how the colors will differ with those 2 different combos?

This sounds like the best choice.

Weetie... This was a good call! I replaced the Aquablue with Blue+ and the tank looks killer now! I'm not actually even quite sure what the difference is, but the colors seem to pop more. Hopefully the sps will color up too. I'm excited!

:happydance:

Awesome, very glad you're happy!

I know you've been busy, but someday when you have time I would suggest that you also try switching out the Fiji for the Blue+, and then try switching out the Actinic White for the Blue+.

I think you'll be surprised how much of a difference changing out just the one bulb will make, but until you try it it's hard to say which combo you would like best.

Paleoreef made a good point about both the Actinic White and Fiji Purple possibly not complementing each other well because of both having a pink component in their spectral output.

I hadn't even considered that, but that is probably because I haven't seen the Actinic White in person.

I've seen the Indigo Sun in person and it supposedly has more white and less pinkish red than the Actinic White.

The Indigo Sun still has enough pink that I don't like it together with the Fiji Purple, the 2 are just too pink together for my taste.

Hope I'm not muddying the waters here for you.

AquaBlue = 12k

Blue+ = 20k with actinic properties

Yeah, I meant I can't really explain why the new bulb combo looks different from my old, but it looks better. I think it actually looks a little more "crisp"/clear than my previous bulb combo, if that makes any sense.

I think the fiji purple helps your reds pop so much. Have you considered one of these? They have KILLER reviews. You'd only need one strip.

http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant....;Category_Code=

That's an interesting idea... I'm tempted.

This sounds like the best choice.

Awesome, very glad you're happy!

I know you've been busy, but someday when you have time I would suggest that you also try switching out the Fiji for the Blue+, and then try switching out the Actinic White for the Blue+.

I think you'll be surprised how much of a difference changing out just the one bulb will make, but until you try it it's hard to say which combo you would like best.

Paleoreef made a good point about both the Actinic White and Fiji Purple possibly not complementing each other well because of both having a pink component in their spectral output.

I hadn't even considered that, but that is probably because I haven't seen the Actinic White in person.

I've seen the Indigo Sun in person and it supposedly has more white and less pinkish red than the Actinic White.

The Indigo Sun still has enough pink that I don't like it together with the Fiji Purple, the 2 are just too pink together for my taste.

Hope I'm not muddying the waters here for you.

I actually tried switching out the Aquablue first. It was horrible imo. It was a very washed out blue in comparison to my old bulb combo. When I tried switching out the purple, it looked much better.

My bulb configuration is now:

UVL 12000K Actinic White

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

ATI Blue+

Fiji Purple

With the purple in the front.

Yeah, I meant I can't really explain why the new bulb combo looks different from my old, but it looks better. I think it actually looks a little more "crisp"/clear than my previous bulb combo, if that makes any sense

ha, I completely forgot who I was talking to. My bad.

tigah from what youve seen would it be worth it to run icecaps on a t5 setup and push through to v-ho or is ho good enough?

how inportant do you find the bulb order to the color?

Edited by bitts

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, reefers!

Got myself some birthday SPS. Tho they are pretty big and I don't know if I will have enough room to fit them on my rockwork.

Nice green digitata.

Tank378.jpg

Nice blue... Not sure what it is but it looked kinda like a digitata to me.

Tank379.jpg

I'll figure something out.