Pod Your Reef

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

woooahh so cool! tragic but awesome, pretty lucky you were around to get such great shots. Imagine if you just came home and it had eaten it already, that wouldv'e been an annoying mystery.

OMG! I came home tonight to something seriously sad/freaky/cool!

1) Sad - One of my coco worms lost its crown. Very sad indeed. Hopefully it won't take too long to regrow.

2) Freaky - My watermelon maxi mini nem was EATING the crown!!!

3) Cool - Here are the photos!

Tank354.jpg

Tank355.jpg

Tank356.jpg

Tank357.jpg

Tank358.jpg

Tank359.jpg

Freaky, right?!

Can you share some tips on how you achieve such great photos. I shoot a lot of portrait work, but have never had success with shooting my tank. What lens? what white balance setting? if custom WB how are setting the WB reference? ummm, tripod? aperture priority? manual? post production? Please teach me your ways. Thank you.

nate

Edited by npatching
Can you share some tips on how you achieve such great photos. I shoot a lot of portrait work, but have never had success with shooting my tank. What lens? what white balance setting? if custom WB how are setting the WB reference? ummm, tripod? aperture priority? manual? post production? Please teach me your ways. Thank you.

nate

I'm just going to copy and paste what I wrote before on this...

I use a tripod to make sure the images are as sharp as possible (any slight movement in the camera without a tripod can cause the photo to be more blurry), custom white balance (this helps with the color a lot), low ISO setting usually, macro mode for close-up shots, and vivid color mode (this is a setting on my canon and it improves saturation). If your photos still don't come out too clear, try sharpening the photo a little or increasing contrast with your photo editing software of choice.

You should also check out jer's thread. It's a good breakdown of the techniques. It's here: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t=0&start=0

And thanks for the feedback, guys! :)

Check out this crazy hitchhiker! Baby abalone? Stomatella on acid?

Tank352.jpg

Tank353.jpg

It's been in my tank for quite some time, but just finally got around to grabbing it for a photo. Great grazer. I wish I had more.

Check out this crazy hitchhiker! Baby abalone? Stomatella on acid?

Tank352.jpg

wow that guys cool. any chance there acouple more so they'll multiply.

Awesome hitchhiker! Don't you just love the little surprises that liverock brings.

BTW Tigah, I added 3 more maxi minis to my collection this week. I'll make a tank build thread w some pics once I get some reasonably nice shots.

Wow I just read through a 55 page thread haha. But seriously awesome tank, very clean and colorful and I love the pics, specially the top down's. I remember your tanks from years ago when I first started in this hobby. But just like you I got the itch again haha. But again, LOVE everything you have done here man, cant wait to see more!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! And yes, vic, you should get out the lounge more...

And to update y'all on the situation with the coco worm that lost its crown on 2/15/10, it actually has grown a new one already.

This was the beginnings of the new crown as of 2/25/10...

Tank360.jpg

Here's the crown today, about half the size of a full one.

Tank361.jpg

• Wow 1

Wow your tank looks amazing! Love the clean setup and all of the color! I know I'm jumping on the bandwagon by saying this but your mini nem collection is pretty awesome! I live in SoCal and can't seem to find these guys anywhere. Whats your secret???

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments! I've been uber busy with wedding planning and work so I haven't really done much to my tank. Tho I have sold some stuff off, so the tank still looks "half" stocked. But I don't mind. :)

Here's the latest FTS.

Tank368.jpg

Apologies in advance if I am unresponsive for long periods of time.