Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

Looks great. How do you like the TX5 so far? I know there aren't any corals in there at this point, but the overall build and quality? I have owned two T5 units by them now and think they're built like freaking tanks.

How do you like the legs that you have? I was thinking about getting some since I have the fixture just resting on the edge of my tank now. Just wanted to check with someone who has them now before I drop the $25.

Looks great, really love the rockscape.

Can you remind me again why you're going BB on this one?

I ask because I've always gone BB on most of my tanks, but I'm planning on using sand with the new setup.

Looks great. How do you like the TX5 so far? I know there aren't any corals in there at this point, but the overall build and quality? I have owned two T5 units by them now and think they're built like freaking tanks.

How do you like the legs that you have? I was thinking about getting some since I have the fixture just resting on the edge of my tank now. Just wanted to check with someone who has them now before I drop the $25.

Definitely hard to say without corals, but so far they are nice. I still miss the shimmer of MH. :)

The fixture itself is pretty sturdy and surprisingly light. The mounting legs are durable as well. But since I have an acrylic tank, I bought stick-on, circular felt pads from home depot and stuck them to the bottom of the mounting legs. Works really well.

awesome, it's good to see you back

Good to see you are still around.

Looks great, really love the rockscape.

Can you remind me again why you're going BB on this one?

I ask because I've always gone BB on most of my tanks, but I'm planning on using sand with the new setup.

I was planning to do a relatively thin sand bed. I actually already bought my favorite kind - fiji pink aragonite.

But with all this flow from the vortech at max, I don't know how easily I can keep the fine sand I have currently in my possession. And reducing the flow of the vortech seems like such a waste of money. I'll think it over some more, but I'm leaning towards sand at the moment.

Thanks for all your comments to everyone else! :)

Throw a lil sand in there, it will be fine w/ the vortec. ;)

Wow. you are really advocating for the sand.

Don't worry, sand will go in.

Tank37.jpg?t=1244442223

Hey Tigah-

I'll be following this one. Looks sweet.

Q: I'm wondering what the idea behind this return line is. The short length of hose reduces vibrations/noise, but why not just run hose up to the tank instead of the two long runs and elbows? Doesn't the wider pipe just concentrate back pressure on the pump?

Also, doesn't the 1262 produce a LOT of flow through that sump? I would think that a 1260 would be sufficient. always read 3-5 times the volume of the display is the right rate, but what do I know...

BTW: I've been using Eheim pumps (1260s and 1250s) for the last 18 months on my tank and they are rock solid. Not the most efficient or compact, but quiet and very dependable.

Edited by rroselavy

Correct, the short length of vinyl tubing is for noise purposes. I generally prefer hard-plumbing over soft (less prone to leaking/salt-creep imo) and I actually wanted to add more headloss to help achieve my desired gph to the display.

From the start, I knew I wanted 2 inlets, each putting out around 300 gph, so around 600ish total. I knew there would be quite a distance from my pump on the far right to the return bulkhead on the far left, so I needed a pump around 900gph or more. Hence the Eheim 1262.

Also, I generally prefer to get a pump that is rated a little higher than what I may need because it is always easy to reduce the gph to the display (eg. T'ing off the flow back into sump or through a reactor). Can't do much if you end up with a pump that's insufficient.

I agree, that 3-5 times display may be preferable for flow through a traditional fuge with sandbed, lr, pods, macro algae, etc, but I do not intend to keep such a fuge section in my tank. I'm just going to put some chaeto (maybe spare LR), and that's it. A total flow through rate of 3-5 times display (so total around 105-175gph) for the entire sump (esp. without a fuge) would be too low imo since I will be running carbon and such in my sump. However, the protein skimmer's effectiveness is also connected to the flow rates through the sump. I think the 600ish gph should be fine for most protein skimmers for my size tank.

But given my vortech, yes, I probably could've gone with a 1260 as well. :)

Edited by Tigahboy

Maeda thinks '8x sump flow is all you need to know.'

Too much yammering, not enough picture taking.

Edited by Maeda

Lookin good Tigah, can't wait to see what you do with this one. ;)

Did the same on mine... Pump is rated for 1200 GPH, only using about 600, the rest is for reactors, water changes, and my drip line for acclimating. :D

Looks fantastic! Is the vortech turned all the way up? I have two K2s running on my 20L and i have sand dunes all over the place.

pismo_reefer

i love ur rockwerk! very Amano....

edit: we need moar pics!.

Edited by pismo_reefer