Coral Vue Hydros

Tigahboy's 35g Project

Tigahboy

After a few weeks of reviewing member's threads and nightly harassment of the Southern California Nano-Reef Society (SCNRS) crew on mIRC (i.e. Maeda, Epicfish, Pgaasus, Mew, Ebn, JK), I've finally started making real progress on my new set-up and return to the hobby. I've been away for far too long and I am so excited to get back into the hobby I love.

I have to give thanks to those at SCNRS for their invaluable input. Especially Maeda and Pgaasus for actually meeting up with me to talk reef.

For this set-up I am going to try to keep things as simple as possible (for a change) and keep everything clean. I've borrowed elements from a few of my previous tanks (30g, 67g, 2.5g) and mixed in elements from other inspirational tanks I've seen on this message board.

Tank3.jpg?t=1243068872

Actually took off work early to pick this up from OC Aquatic.

Tank4.jpg?t=1243068678

Unwrapped. Christmas in May!

Tank2.jpg?t=1243068805

Overflow box.

Anyway, here are the details:

Tank - Clear-for-life, custom 3/8" thick acrylic (yes, I know glass is in, but I like my acrylic!). 35g, 36"x15"x15". Clear back. Teethless overflow box.

Plumbing - I am going to do a standard herbie overflow. No CLs this time.

Stand - Standard black stand.

RO/DI - Replaced all filters and almost ready to go.

Checklist of additional items needed:

Light - Aquactinic TX5 (already ordered and being shipped to me)

Sump - 20g AGA with baffles

Circulation - Vortech MP40

Skimmer - TBD

Return Pump - TBD (shooting for a rating of ~900gph)

Live Rock - Vanuatu (still looking for LFSs with reasonable prices)

Placement: I'm torn b/t simply sticking it next to a wall (as shown) or to make it a 3-side viewable (by sticking it behind my couch). I'll post some photos later.

If you have any input on the TBD, I'm open to suggestions.

I have A LOT to do, but hopefully I can get this filled with water within the next few weeks. I'll post more as I make progress. Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

laguna pumps are real popular right now, cheap on ebay too.

I enjoy tanks that are stacked next to the side cause you can make more interesting aquascapes. I never look at my tanks through the sides anyway

Nice tank, glad to see you back. I kinda went for a patch reef look in my 40. The rock is centered in the middle so the front and back are open.

Dang, I was looking at your 30 CL tank, if I remember correctly lol, when I was like 14 and wondering what to do with my original nano-cube 12.

Welcome back Tigah!

evilc66 has a sweet 40br setup and he just experimented with like four return pumps in the 1200gph range and settled on the new maxi-jet return pumps. I can't remember exactly what they are called, but they are teal. He likes them.

I'll be following this thread!!

laguna pumps are real popular right now, cheap on ebay too.

I enjoy tanks that are stacked next to the side cause you can make more interesting aquascapes. I never look at my tanks through the sides anyway

Hey supernip. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely check out the laguna pumps. I just worry about not being able to take good photos of my tank if I did a 3-side viewable (i.e. you'll see a television as my background). But I'm going to try different positions and I'll post them.

Nice tank, glad to see you back. I kinda went for a patch reef look in my 40. The rock is centered in the middle so the front and back are open.

I just looked at your thread. I think my overall set-up will end up looking very similar to yours. Thanks for the input!

Welcom back Tigah! :)

Good to hear from you, Travis! I saw your tank. Very nice. And congrats on your baby.

Dang, I was looking at your 30 CL tank, if I remember correctly lol, when I was like 14 and wondering what to do with my original nano-cube 12.

Welcome back Tigah!

evilc66 has a sweet 40br setup and he just experimented with like four return pumps in the 1200gph range and settled on the new maxi-jet return pumps. I can't remember exactly what they are called, but they are teal. He likes them.

I'll be following this thread!!

Thanks! I'll research that pump as well.

Awesomeness.

Haha. I bought that stand you pointed me to a couple weeks back. Thanks!

Needreefunds

Great to see you hanging around N-R again Tigah!

I know we will all enjoy following along on this one.

That is one sweet looking tank to start with too!

B)

:happydance:

What bulbs you gonna use in your fixture?

Great choice on the fixture btw.

Is this gonna be a mixed reef, or what?

As others have said, your old tanks were inspirational to say the least. This looks like it's going to be another stellar tank from you.

Great choice on the Aquatinics fixture....I have one over my 20H. They are built like a tank, have incredible individual reflectors, and over 3 years, I have never had a single issue with the one I have now and the one that I had for my 55g.

Looking forward to seeing this progress along.

Good to see you back in the game Tigah. Your 2.5g was a big inspiration for my little 1.6g pico.

As Reefer Al stated, I'm using one of the new Maxijet NJ utility pumps. I'm using an NJ5500 on a closed loop, and it's dead nuts silent. The NJ4500 would probably be right up your alley if you are looking for about 900gph after head losses. It is built more like a pressure rated pump, so you won't have the same kind of head losses that you would see from something like a Mag9 or and Ocean Runner 2500 (paddle wheel impellers). It is a quality piece of equipment. Pet Solutions had the best price by far when I bought my pump.

If thats too much pump for you, the other NJs are still really nice pumps, but they resort to the traditional paddle wheel impeller. I like them as a better alternative to Danner Mag pumps.

davidr2340

That tank is sexay as hell, with nothing in it!!!

I look forward to following along, and seeing what you end up doing bro!

Welcome back to the hobby, too :lol:

Thank you, sir! :)

:happydance:

What bulbs you gonna use in your fixture?

Great choice on the fixture btw.

Is this gonna be a mixed reef, or what?

Mixed reef of course! I haven't finalized my bulb combo yet (but I'm close). I saw your thread tho; very helpful.

Good to see you back in the game Tigah. Your 2.5g was a big inspiration for my little 1.6g pico.

As Reefer Al stated, I'm using one of the new Maxijet NJ utility pumps. I'm using an NJ5500 on a closed loop, and it's dead nuts silent. The NJ4500 would probably be right up your alley if you are looking for about 900gph after head losses. It is built more like a pressure rated pump, so you won't have the same kind of head losses that you would see from something like a Mag9 or and Ocean Runner 2500 (paddle wheel impellers). It is a quality piece of equipment. Pet Solutions had the best price by far when I bought my pump.

If thats too much pump for you, the other NJs are still really nice pumps, but they resort to the traditional paddle wheel impeller. I like them as a better alternative to Danner Mag pumps.

Thanks. I'll check that pump out.

And thanks to everyone else for the greetings and input!

I spent the day (literally) with Maeda and his gf at their house. Maeda hooked it up with free baffles and siliconed them in place for me.

Thanks, Maeda and D! I had a lot of fun hanging out. :D

The tank is a standard 20g AGA.

Sump.jpg?t=1243138178