Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cuboy's 12AP w/ RapidLED Par38

cuboy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool. Come to think of it, I think I might have one of those single 1 watt moonlights laying around. I'm going to steal your idea lol :)

I told you I was going to steal your idea, haha Thanks!

IMG_20110703_214739.jpg

hey np! does the Par38 block the moonlight? I know mine blocks just a little, even tho my light is extended forward and doesnt hang as low as yours does. I would think alot of it is being blocked off

Nice! I'm sure glad the moonlight went to somebody that could use it.

Thanks alot! I actually wanted to use a white moonlight, but it's pretty rare (expensive) to find a simple one

I have it moved back far enough so my light doesn't block too much of it, but then I only get the back half of my tank lit by the moonlight. That's fine with me though, it still looks cool at night.

Sooo, my other clarkii started to not eat (when it was feeding time, not sure if he scavaged some later in the day) and stayed on the back wall at the same spot my other clarkii use to (before it died) but here and there it'd swim around the behind the rocks. It's been happening for the past few days. Pretty much the same symptoms the other clarkii had, than I came home later today and it was dead. =(

I also started adding coral and slightly changed up my rockscape Pictures to come. but i'm pretty sad they died, I know it will be hard to replace them especially with the white eye lids.

I'll probably finish stocking and getting the coral situated before I find a new fish for my tank.

Looks good. Where did you get the mount that you attached the light to?

it's a zoomed reptile light stand. purchased at petsmart for i think $24? or $27. something around there. The clamp on light was purchased at home depot for $7-8. I just removed the housing on it and used the socket + clamp

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Did you ever check water params? They could have had something as well. I had two Clarkiis as well and they were mean buggers.

well my tank was always set at 79-85. thought it was just the CA heat in my room, than I finally realized it was my heater. Seems to be like 9degrees off. I think that was the reason my tank got over taken by algae the first time a few years ago. I've recently dialed it correctly, and everything seems to be great.

some quick pictures I took on Xmas day with my iphone.

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0415.JPG

Looks great. How long do these bulbs last. Does their duration compare to other LEDs.

Thanks for the info,

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...
Looks great. How long do these bulbs last. Does their duration compare to other LEDs.

Thanks for the info,

Ryan

x2 I'm looking into upgrading the lighting and hadn't decided on par38 or LED retrofit for a clean look.

I am not to sure how long the bulbs last, but it's much more cost efficient than my old k2 150w light.

I sold my old fixture, and it paid for 90% of this par bulb. It's also saved me from purchasing a new mh bulb ever 6 months and wasting $60. My tank also runs cooler, and my room doesn't get so hot. (but i kind of miss it during the winter months LOL)

Most LED are rated to last upto 50,000 hrs with proper cooling and usage. I do not see why this LED light would be any different.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit nervous. I switched no some actinics before I jumped in the shower this morning wanted to check out my new coral before i left for work. When I got out some of it had opened up but then......I noticed...............one of my clowns was acting pretty funky. He was laying on the sand bed, not moving his fins or moving at all. Then he moved slightly than stopped. Looks like he was a bit bloated as well. I really hope he's still alive when I get home. He was there for about 5 minutes. Got nervous, switched my comp on and searched it.

I know normally when I see them sleeping, they're still moving quite a bit. what freaked me out even more was after i googled it, I looked over an he was gone. He swam to the other corner and seemed a little better, but than decided to go lay on the ground in THAT Corner. Freaked out because that's the corner my other clarkii and black clown died.

Archived