Coral Vue Hydros

Yamato's Pico Build

Yamato

ihatesears18

This is a nice looking pico! I want to start a JBJ Picotope so bad!!! It would fit oh so nicely on my bedroom dresser :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks "Ihatesears18", hope you get over having had to work there :lol:

I just bought a Refractometer! Second hand! 60bucks.

Checked my two tanks, and they are a whole 2 degrees off...read it off my

Hydrometer: 1.025

Newly purchased

Refractometer: 1.027

$%(#)@, I can't believe it was that high, when I just purchased it, I had second thoughts, (kinda expensive and I got all this LED stuff) but now, I am glad I got it...I really didn't know how off the hydrometer was...sigh...at least I know now.

The freaken thing is cool haha, I am a noob.

ihatesears18

I had a Deep six hydrometer, which I read was crap, so I picked up an instant ocean hyrdrometer. The Deep six was reading 1.022 and the Instant ocean was at 1.026!!! I need to get a refractometer, i just don't trust these float arms....

Hoping I will get my buckpucks next week sometime.

But in the mean time, I was able to find some stuff to make a DIY Auto Top Off.

The idea is off of an old thread, gotta give credit where credit is due: ATO.

Here is what I did with the same idea.

I found an old water bottle that is not used anymore. We use the SIGG bottles now...anyway, recycling this perfectly good bottle. 3605439469_7a30a9be96.jpg?v=0

I then drilled a hole at the bottle, it was a terrible drill job, I don't have a sanding bit...but it will do...

3605439591_c2e408299f.jpg?v=0

This hole is where the water will flow out of the bottle and into the tank.

I found this two way tubing thing at active surplus...picked it up bc I liked how one end had kinda a plastic brace, good for mounting into the bottle. It was some kind of medical device I guess, it also had this thing where you can pinch the tube so that it slows or stops the flow of water...

3606259426_338fac8d64.jpg?v=0

Fits!

Then I applied a generous amount of superglue on the lip there and Jammed it into the hole.

3605439811_f10ae54d42.jpg?v=0

3606259828_f0638526ca.jpg?v=0

Later on, I even put some silicone on the edge just to seal it real good...as insurance...

Next I drilled another hole on the top of the bottle. Going put one of these connector thingys into the hole. I can fit a silicon tube into the inlet easy...

3605440197_eed5dc3400.jpg?v=0

Next, I found a straw at the same active surplus...perfect for the water level tube. Its wider, so I should have to worry about cohesion tension ( water tension ). I found that even this wider straw was holding water suspended, what I did was cut the bottom in a diagonal, this way the water would slide down.

3606260376_7128438205.jpg?v=0

Next, I drilled a hole into the cap, which seals air tight to the straw.

3605440715_955570500a.jpg?v=0

Okay, may not all make sense, but its coming together, i am telling you...haha...keep reading:

This is how the bottle looks, pretty tidy. The white thing you see is the clasp that can pinch the tubes tight. It will help you hold water in the bottle when you fill it up.

Okay, here is the money shot:

3606261016_9f799afb0f.jpg?v=0

The wider tube as you can see, is just touching the water surface. This is the air tube and it holds the pressure for the water bottle. If the water level drops slightly, the pressure will be released and push water down into the tank through the clear tube right next to it. Very simple. Take note that the wider tube with the red cap was cut diagonally so that water will slide down releasing the pressure. If cut flat, I found water would stick (cohesion tension, or water tension).

It worked!

3606260762_ecd9f66466.jpg?v=0

Total Cost of this project:

Water tube (with the plastic Pincher) 2bucks.

Straw with cap 50 cents.

Superglue, bottle, tubing, was around the house.

nice looking tank

nice ato im gunna have to do something like that lol

ur tank is really nice and clean what type of light are you using??

Thanks guys...

As for my current light, its a PC. It was used for another tank, but right now I am using it on here until I get my LED up and running. Just waiting on the drivers and the PS to start building.

The ATO is pretty clean and I am pretty happy with it. Today is the first day it will be in operation, and I will see how it works out. The parts I used for the ATO, I really lucked out...stuff just came together perfectly.

If I ever go down to that active surplus again, I will try to pick up some more... to build a ATO for my BC8 and to see if anybody else wants them, but I would ahve to ship it, and kinda defeats the purpose of cheap DIY.

Yamato, your tank looks really good. It's a very creative use of recycled matierials and it's coming out really nicely.

If I were to pick one of your LED layouts, it would probably be layout "X". It will be the one that is most likely to blend the colors the best. You may get some haloing in the corners, but it shouldn't be too bad. Before you glue/screw the LEDs down, smooth out that heatsink. The rough surface finish isn't doing you any favors for thermal transfer. Start with some 80 grit wet/dry to knock down the high spots quickly and finish with some 400.

I love the simplicity of your ATO but I'm afraid I don't understand the principle.

Would it be possible to build a simple cube out of lexan, with a single tube running down to the water line (while the cube is otherwise watertight), so that when the waterline drops below the tube, air can travel up the tube / water can travel down the tube thereby raising the waterline until it again reaches the tube, stopping air/water flow?

That can be done (don't use lexan, use acrylic), but the size of your tube is more critial. Too small and it won't drain. Too big and it won't stop draining.

That can be done (don't use lexan, use acrylic), but the size of your tube is more critial. Too small and it won't drain. Too big and it won't stop draining.

That's what I figured, but that's awesome news. Thank you!

......... but the size of your tube is more critial. Too small and it won't drain. Too big and it won't stop draining.

1231.gif

Yamato, your tank looks really good. It's a very creative use of recycled matierials and it's coming out really nicely.

If I were to pick one of your LED layouts, it would probably be layout "X". It will be the one that is most likely to blend the colors the best. You may get some haloing in the corners, but it shouldn't be too bad. Before you glue/screw the LEDs down, smooth out that heatsink. The rough surface finish isn't doing you any favors for thermal transfer. Start with some 80 grit wet/dry to knock down the high spots quickly and finish with some 400.

Thanks Evil, I do what I can for the environment, even tho its all going to hell.

I am still debating, you feel the colour blend will be better in the X formation compared to the A formation? I guess in the A, the CW will be concentrated in the middle, and the blue around the outside, but bc of their close proxmity, wouldn't it mix anyway to give me the blend.

The surface is already pretty smooth, but if it will help it, I will sand it down alittle.

I love the simplicity of your ATO but I'm afraid I don't understand the principle.

Thanks, the build was alittle bit odd, but its just a three chamber system, kinda like a Biocube, but instead of a linear set up with all three chambers side by side, this one is kinda in an L shape with chamber one in the front. Its good for current/flow and surface movement.

Just a quick update on the ATO. It works!

Its been three days since I installed the ATO and I haven't had to top off my tank and it has been stable at 1.025 all this time. I tested it with my new refractometer (its awesome!).

Over the last three days, I have been able to see how much water has evaporated too, approximately 200ml. Pretty cool when I am sitting at my computer and I hear the bottle gurgle and bubble as water exits the bottle and into the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while for my LED build. I have been waiting for my buckpuck and sixth LED and they arrived.

Presently I am not too excited bc I tested the buckpuck and it does not seem to work. The LEDs do not light up when I plug everything together...I did this for over an hour. I am pretty sure I used every combination of wiring possible. I know I am not an expert, but I have wired up fans, and other LED projects before, so for this to not work I am presently extremely frustrated.

Anybody every get a bad buckpuck before? How should I go about testing it.

I connected the red wire (+) to the red wire from the power supple and the same for the black, then I used the blue and white wire from the Buckpuck and made contact with the LED...nothing...

I have already emailed LEDsupply and I hope to get seomthing resolved asap. I am frustrated.

• 4 weeks later...
duckiesforever

srry cant help with ur probs >.>

but i wanted to say brilliant ATO

im thinking about putting mine in my hood, with some macro algae

this is because i dont have a fuge, and my filter is an AC 30 so i cant fit much in there

what do u think? im using Power Compact 20watt x 2 Lighting

so i dont think ill be making soup

hey Duckie :)

not sure what you are referring to, the auto top off and macro algea? If this is what you are saying, then I think there is a mistake, bc the ATO water should be DI/RO water, pure water, bc u are topping off the evaporated water, and salt does not evaporate away, that is why you need to top off, so that your salinity stays constant. but thanks for your comment, I will be posting my LED build soon, just finished it on the weekend.

Is that your pico on your sign, I will comment on there for ya.

duckiesforever

haha i just realized how little sense that made xD

ill just buid a fuge like everyone else

then the ATO, but im still gonna put it in my hood

as long as it doesn't get too hot and dry up the water

experimentation...

Been a long time and I finally have my LED light on my pico and I am very pleased with the results. The shimmer is awesome and the tank feels almost complete. On Sunday, I had the light on there for 30mins and I literally watched it burn out...it turned off and I was sitting there dumbfounded. What happened?

I emailed Deep, telling him that my PS failed, he advised me to unhook it from the LEDs and hook it up to my other series of LEDs...and I did that. Found out that it was my Buckpuck that failed on me. It got fried bc I assume it over heated in the box I had it in with the rest of the wires. Sad, I need to order like 10 buckpucks now.

As for my tank, here is the full tank shot. It currently has two Cool whites and four Royal Blues blasting the tank at I believe 1000mA. I can't dim it bc the dimmers are not working on the buck pucks. I have adjusted the white balance on my G9 Canon so that it does not look crazy blue.

3787721892_81639a3791.jpg

Here is the tank with the display Fuge...not very big. You can also see the protein skimmer doing work behind the Fuge :).

3787722664_144af916fb.jpg

Here is a few frags of Zoas I have in the center of the tank. I am hoping they start pop new polyps soon. On the left side behind the zoas, there is a blurry hill of sand, that is the work of my Mantis. You will see him next.

3787724672_8beb191243.jpg

This is the back door on the side of the pico. The Mantis is just in the shadow of the tunnel pushing sand out.

3787725866_19692f1ce3.jpg

All is quite and then a flurry of action!

3786915513_e3f5867c84.jpg

Here he is! I used a flashlight to give him a spot light. Turned off the LEDs to help him acclimatize. So tell me, what you think he is, slasher or basher...I am putting my money on slasher.

3787719140_15a36816f7.jpg

here is a close up, thanks to my fiancee for snapping it while I held the spot light.

3786961903_fd80ced1c2.jpg

Another full body shot

3787778824_dabc9b28dd.jpg

Right now I want to thank Purpl3G for this donation. It was a hitchhiker in her tank and I went into there and snapped it up. She pulled the LR out, I got my tool and was able to pick'em out. He dropped right into the bucket and was on the way home with me. At first I was very hesitant...was I getting myself into something I didn't really understand, but one look at its eyes and its quickness got me hooked.

DOn't know if this helps to ID him as a basher or slasher...but its still cool to look at.

3786978131_cae17efe4b.jpg

He is creating a huge pile of sand at its front and back door. He is wicked cool.

Your tank is coming together very well it all looks great!

I love the mantis too :) pretty sure on spearer too, which means you could most likely keep snails with it for cleanup. I've seen a few others keep snails and crabs successfully with their spearers, but they are VERY intelligent creatures and i'm sure each has it's own personality.

Archived