Top Shelf Aquatics

GB: Picotope Lids [Glass or Plexiglass]

Bonsai

is there anyway i can get another notch put into the side?

ive got an ATO that wouldnt work well with this

Possibly ... PM me with details.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got you down, thanks!

Tomorrow is the last day to get in on the Group Buy.

Here is a photo of the new Plexiglass version, with Feeding Door!

Feeding Door Open

lidopen.jpg

Feeding Door Closed

lidclosed.jpg

Granted, these aren't perfect - the edges could be smoother and finished, but they certainly get the job done. I'm happy with them.

Christopher Marks

I'm setting up a picotope soon, I'm curious about these lids. Since you've been using your glass lid for awhile now, have you noticed it affect the temperature of the tank? How much has it reduced evaporation? Do you have trouble with it falling into the tank or getting it to rest on the tank edges when you put it on?

I'm setting up a picotope soon, I'm curious about these lids. Since you've been using your glass lid for awhile now, have you noticed it affect the temperature of the tank? How much has it reduced evaporation? Do you have trouble with it falling into the tank or getting it to rest on the tank edges when you put it on?

Man, What a newbie!!! LOL! :lol:

Are there going to be notches on the side so the lid can't fall in? or are they shaped such that it's kinda impossible?

The almighty himself speaks!

Hi Christopher :) My picotope has been shut down for several months, but when I did use the glass lid, it greatly cut down on evaporation. I'm talking probably 75% less evaporation than I had when the tank was topless.

You do have to be careful though with the lid, as they are cut to be the pretty much the exact same dimensions as the top of the tank, so it is easy to knock the light and have it fall into the tank. That's why I wanted to go with an Acrylic version that has a hinged feeding door ... that way, you don't need to remove the lid often and there is much less chance of it falling in.

I just put the new acrylic lid on my empty Picotope, and put the 18W Current USA Satellite on top of it ... it's a thing of beauty. I'll snap pictures later tonight.

ok so when do we pay?

I'll PM everyone payment info tonight or tomorrow.

Are there going to be notches on the side so the lid can't fall in? or are they shaped such that it's kinda impossible?

You could probably Weld-On acrylic strips to the INSIDE of the lid, close to the right and left edges, to prevent it from sliding one way or the other. I didn't do this because every picotope is shaped slightly different by JBJ, so I didn't want the lids to not fit someone's picotope ...

Thanks to all who have ordered, the first post in this thread has been updated with those who've ordered and/or paid.

If anyone else wants one, let me know ASAP.

addicted2reefer

WOW that is a cool lid, Bonsai ! you have to give credit where credit is due, and that is a mighty fine piece of work. if i didnt already have a lid id buy one. How different is laxan from plexiglass, i always thought plexiglass was cloudy and not as clear as lexan.

but again, VERY NICE WORK. I will be back to check out those pics of yours...

WOW that is a cool lid, Bonsai ! you have to give credit where credit is due, and that is a mighty fine piece of work. if i didnt already have a lid id buy one. How different is laxan from plexiglass, i always thought plexiglass was cloudy and not as clear as lexan.

but again, VERY NICE WORK. I will be back to check out those pics of yours...

Thanks for the compliments! Here are a couple photos of the lid installed on my (empty - well, almost) JBJ Picotope. It fits like a glove ... like mother nature intended. :)

picolid01.jpg

picolid02.jpg

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be late on this, I found this during a websearch. Can you let me know when you are taking orders for Picotope lids. I would like a glass one. thanks.

Sorry to be late on this, I found this during a websearch. Can you let me know when you are taking orders for Picotope lids. I would like a glass one. thanks.

Same here. I'd like a plexiglass lid, if you decide to do another order.

I may do another Plexiglass order, but I won't be doing any future glass orders. Sorry about that.

USPS has broken at least one lid for every group buy I've done ... no matter how well I pack them.

I may do another Plexiglass order, but I won't be doing any future glass orders. Sorry about that.

USPS has broken at least one lid for every group buy I've done ... no matter how well I pack them.

Ok, I won't be picky!! Just let me know when. Thanks :P

23n4hio2n34oi23ne4oi2n4oi2

Go ahead and count me in as well.

-Dustin

Archived