inTank Media Baskets

what's this hitchhiker on my rock? *NEW PIC*

peewee1467

peewee1467

okay so i bought some live rock the other day and i picked out a piece that had something growing on it. it looks like little white stars and its growing on some coraline algae. they open up when the lights are on and close up when i turn off the lights at night. when they close up, theyre the size of a period ( . )

newrock001.jpg

w640.png

peewee1467

doesnt look like hydroids at all. they move freely when opened up but hard when closed if that helps... they are really really white

I've never seen anything like that. Definitely not any type of aiptasia/majano I've ever seen. My guess would be barnacles or clove polyps.

carbon-mantis

Honestly to me they look like some sort of bleached out polyps. If it's from Florida, I've seen some sort of brown polyps resembling xenia hitching a ride. There was a thread with some pictures of them, I just can't seem to find it at the moment...

reefman225gal

The eight tentacle makes me think its some type of soft coral.

Edit: that's what I was thinking scotty

skimlessinseattle

Looks to be some sort of polyp. I think that what you believe is coralline algae is actually a stolon (the mat that star polyps grow on). They are typically purple, like you see with GSP. From what you describe it also behaves like star polyps. That is what I think you have :D

skimlessinseattle
how come theyre bleached?

Could be bleached from the stress of the LR being cycled and/or transfer from source to LFS to your tank.

I don't think it's that they're bleached... They're probably white because they're not developed yet and haven't colored up, or because they're not GSP, but some similar star polyp morph that doesn't turn green... Anthelia would also be a similar looking coral.

skimlessinseattle
I don't think it's that they're bleached... They're probably white because they're not developed yet and haven't colored up, or because they're not GSP, but some similar morph that doesn't turn green...

Truth. Could possibly be Briareum too! You may have yourself an encrusting gorgonian :D

peewee1467

hm... thats weird, they were white at the LFS so it probably wasnt the transfer. i'll have to wait a while and see how it grows. hehe it was worth my 3 dollars lol

3 dollars? yeah I'd say it was worth it... I love being the first one to scout the new live rock... once for $6 I got a great piece of rock with a good sized chunk of GPS, a colony of blastomussa probably worth $60 itself, a bunch of clams stuck in the rock, and a ton of coralline algae (oh yeah, about 30 aptasia too ;))... This was when I was just getting started and I could tell the LFS guy didn't want to give such a good rock to the "noob"... hahaha... everythings doing great now though.

Archived