Cultivated Reef

snorkeling and found this?

Ando

You should definitely check with fish and game and find out what corals and algae are okay to collect there are a lot of rules and regulations when it comes to collecting and a lot of soft corals require special permits. Algae also can be protected depending on the species. So don't collect things assuming it is okay, if fish and game finds out they will fine you and take your equipment.

Right on the money. Don't assume it is not a serious offense either. I saw someone going away in cuffs for picking up rock. I used to be able to keep up with the rules in Florida but everything changes July 1 and the amount of links and documents makes it pretty hard to follow. Basically, you have a piece of sand on a ric you collected and they take your boat. Collect a ric and have a chisel anywhere on your boat (you can only use a flexible blade on a ric) and they take your boat. That's about all I understand. I will settle for looking and enjoying the water.

dirtwheelsfl
Here is a video of a bunch of snook.

th_P5110112.jpg

^ traded your speargun for a video camera i see....

DiverReefer
Note: Goliath grouper and Nassau grouper must be released by cutting the line and NOT removed from the water. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has provided additional guidelines on release techniques for Goliath grouper. Click here to download a PDF version of the guidelines.

If you catch one on rod and reel it is illegal to remove it from the water.

Goliath

johnmaloney
^^

no......

no season, no size, yes pest

you can keep em out of the water when you catch them all you want, take pics whatever,

dont put up pictures of a dead one, you filleting one, or especially one with a hole in its head, the man WILL find and hassle you about PICTURES, trust me on that one, they can fine you just for pictures,

-and yes they taste wonderful, especially about a 40# with a little fat in between the meat, :wacko:

pest? Those things are awesome. Unless you mean pest in the sense you have to release them. We get less of them here and more of a snook problem. Out of season snook seem to bite every line. :angry:

Still better than nothing. :)

Never had a goliath grouper. They might be putting them back on the list, I heard about an FWC hearing on it, but nothing changed so far.

dirtwheelsfl

yes pest meaning there are too many of them (around here at least), they eat lots of lobsters and smaller fish like young snook and such... theyre a real pain in the ass when youre fishing for other things especially. dont get me wrong theyre awesome, but the novelty has sort of worn off for me....

ya, its always the out of season, or overslot snook that you always seem to catch :ninja:

Nick's Reef

ok, tell me where all them snook are, i need a nice big female saturday between 7-3 for a tounament I'm fishing! they gotta be slot or bigger to qualify, don't worry, it's a photo and release and would let it got even if in slot. and john where r u fishin'? I can't seem to get a snook at all, haven't caught one since fay came through, had one on about 2 weeks ago then my loop knot slipped.

dirtwheelsfl

is that the tourn for zach pardo? we had 27 slot or bigger in about 2 hrs a couple weeks ago. PM me i might be able to tell ya somethin...

Archived