Pod Your Reef

snorkeling and found this?

Ando

That's a variety of Dichocoenia, Star Coral (Sprung: Corals A Quick Reference Guide, p 81 - 83) and not a faviid at all....it's fairly common in the Caribbean and surrounding areas. It is rated at Lighting 4-9, Flow 3-9, is rated as Aggressiveness 2 and Hardiness 7. Not real pretty, but it comes on some Florida aquaculture rock and it is tough....it also DOES pack a fair sting to things that fall on, or contact it....

Nick's Reef

If you collected this it's highly illegal to posses unless it's on aquacultured rock, I don't think you took it but just an fyi.

Realize Nick, that the coral is very widespread throughout the Caribbean basin, and if it can be reasonably stated that it came from elsewhere (non-USA) then it is not illegal to have....but it could still make for some really sticky situations if Game and Fish came to see you...and here in Florida, they WILL come see hobbyists at times....I certainly wouldn't take the chance for an ugly coral....

Actually, I believe it is photosynthetic, as I commented earlier, Sprung states that it requires moderate to high lighting, and when I had it on a piece of aquaculture rock where I didn't want it I put it in my dark sump and it died off after about a couple of weeks....other areas are still thriving in the lights....I don't mean to argue, but I have experence with this specific one....

Excellent article by the way....

if u did take it ur self then it is technically illegal but it is by all means not a serious offense and it is not illegal to collect soft corals and algae.

p.s. i love the jewfish in ur avatar where did u catch it?

lakshwadeep

The link I have shows Dichocoenia photos, and it does look similar (maybe a different species since ando's coral has more separated corallites).

Isn't it illegal to remove jewfish/goliath from the water?

not anymore u can now keep them if their a certain size and i think there might be a season but they are considered pest to reef fishermen but it was never illegal to remove them from the water just not keep them.

Nick's Reef
not anymore u can now keep them if their a certain size and i think there might be a season but they are considered pest to reef fishermen but it was never illegal to remove them from the water just not keep them.

what they opened a season on em? Can you spear em? Also poons' are still illegal to remove from the water and jewfish were and still are if there isn't a season which I don't think there is.

addicted2reefer

Yes on the pest, last summer down in the keys for mini season and they were in all the holes eating up all the bugs. We found one so huge, we thought is was a piece of coral and its tail drew our attention to it.

dont quote me on this , but i think they still have a hold on them, i dont think you can keep and eat goliath just yet. i think its still just cut the line dont even remove hook, but it couldve changed by now.

Nick's Reef

uh I just checked fwc and goliaths and nassaus are still illegal to posses, don't know where you're getting your info. This means they and tarpon are illegal to remove from the water.

danimal1211

Used to have a good pic of two goliaths, under a ledge taken on the gulf side of Marathon they both looked to be around 200lbs. Lost the photo (and many other good one) when my old pc crashed.

Nick's Reef

theres a artifical reef locally with a big goliath on it, my dad jumpped in there when him, my freind and I were collecting angels and said there was a huge goliath then when to a lfs that a freind owns to drop off a few angels and cbs and told him a bout the goliath and he was fishing for snapper on the same reef, dropped a yt down on a 50w and got broke off by smoething big and those of you who fish knows what it takes to snap 120lb mono and how hard that fish had to pull to stay under his ledge.

if u did take it ur self then it is technically illegal but it is by all means not a serious offense and it is not illegal to collect soft corals and algae.

I didn't take it from the ocean I had my under water camera with me and snapped some photos.

as for the jew fish I got him the New Pass in SRQ. The tarpon have been around too.. Where I snorkeled today I saw sooo many snook swimming around it was awesome I got lots of photos and video.Ill post one soon.

Isn't it illegal to remove jewfish/goliath from the water?
I though the were illegal to remove too but I had to get it off my hook lol

....I was thinking of fragging the piece of coral but then though it was kinda ugly and who knows what kind of parasites are on it... not worth the risk... even tho im sure I could have gotten away lol

dirtwheelsfl

^^

no......

no season, no size, yes pest

you can keep em out of the water when you catch them all you want, take pics whatever,

dont put up pictures of a dead one, you filleting one, or especially one with a hole in its head, the man WILL find and hassle you about PICTURES, trust me on that one, they can fine you just for pictures,

-and yes they taste wonderful, especially about a 40# with a little fat in between the meat, :wacko:

You should definitely check with fish and game and find out what corals and algae are okay to collect there are a lot of rules and regulations when it comes to collecting and a lot of soft corals require special permits. Algae also can be protected depending on the species. So don't collect things assuming it is okay, if fish and game finds out they will fine you and take your equipment.

Archived