Coral Vue Hydros

Nebthet's 57g REEF-NEW Pix! 04-19-2011

nebthet

Well since the site had its' oopsie and lost posts for the last two weeks, I am just gonna repost my pics and let them speak for themselves.

redmush1-07-2009.jpg

bhammer1-07-2009.jpg

newocto1-07-2009.jpg

dendro1-07-2009.jpg

cocoworm1-07-2009.jpg

juviclowns1.jpg

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpankythePyro

You have a pair of scissortails? I rarely see them, and I've only seen 1 lol. Its been at a crappy LFS for around 5 months :(

Yes, I have a pair of scissortails. When I went to my Seller, the person he buys from had only sent him 1 firefish and it went missing through his system and we couldn't find it, but I had seen these guys in the one tank and they were always trying to hide behind and under rocks and he gave me a good deal on them. $22 for the pair, so I couldn't say no.

They have such a great personality and once they get used to your system they barely hide. The two are always hanging out together and I had noticed in the beginning, when the smaller one was feeling well and hiding a lot, the larger one would go to it and encourage it to come out and eat.

Also, now that I have new bulbs for my T5, and upped to 3 Aquablue + 22000k, I can see where they actually radiate a nice blue sheen on their grey areas.

They also get along and like to play with my clown and damsel.

SpankythePyro

Ahhh nice thats like my blenny, I just put him in my breeder and he is hiding so I have to target feed him, but the little clowns go up to him just to piss him off lol

edit: those clowns look mor elike picassos too!!!

Yeah some fish stress out more than others. I find it is the hyper ones that have the hardest time. But now they both are out and swim the whole tank and only go into their burrow to sleep at night.

The yellowy orange clown is a picasso. I got him for $100... Canadian money... In just the week I have had him in my tank he had started to develop black on him now.

The bright red one below it is my larger baby onyx clown named Omen.

I didn't bother taking a pic of the smaller baby onyx as there was no change in him, but I will in a couple of days as he is finally starting to develop his mid-bar. It is the size of a pin prick right now. LOL.

Yep, the baby onyx are still in protection mode. They will be that way for at least another month and a half. But they will be upgraded to a larger container in a couple of weeks. It is rather funny though, because my larger baby onyx Omen wants keeps on wanting to chase the picasso away from the my female Big Momma and away from my smaller baby clown any time it approaches the container.

Time for more updated pix:

Finally got my SPS order in today. Not everything I recieved was what I ordered, but at least it looked healthy. If you can name any of these for me that I don't know, please do so.. thanks.

lts07-16-2009.jpg

unknown

acro1-07-16-2009.jpg

unknown

acro2-07-16-2009.jpg

Bali tri-color on the left

acro3-07-16-2009.jpg

Neon Suharsonoi

acro4-07-16-2009.jpg

The same acros from the left side near rear of the tank.

acros07-16-2009.jpg

My baby onyx clowns. You can barely make out the white mid-bar starting on the smaller one. Yes, I tripled checked to ensure it just wasn't encrusted calcium I was seeing in the pic.

bbonyx07-16-2009.jpg

Male picasso darkening up. Him and my female get along now and sleep together half the night.

picasso07-16-2009.jpg

My poor Octo Frogspawn. :( It was accidentally dropped (not by me) when I went to pick it up and it resulted in brown jelly disease developing. I spent the last 3 days syphoning away the brown jelly to reduce spreading, and today I don't see anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed.

octo07-16-2009.jpg

Coco Worm being happy, was considering this pic for Photo contest, but after seeing Kraylen's macro pix mine don't compare.

cocoworm.jpg

Hammer is happy and so is the frogspawn.

euphilia07-16-2009.jpg

Can't help with the identification question but I have another question for you. How do you like those plastic frag plugs?

I personally don't care for the plastic frag plugs because not only do they really stand out, but it is harder to find a decent place to firmly attach the frag to where it will look decent. If I didn't have that one piece of tonga branch in my tank, it would have been hard to find a place to put them where it looked appealing.

• 2 weeks later...
FishOnTheBrainCoral

your tank is coming along quite nicely yourself! I threw a lawnmower blenny in my tank and he keeps my hair algae in check. tons of personality too!

love the clowns they look great!

Thanks fish...lol... I have some new pics now to add.

This acro is continuing to encrust over the dead portions. I don't know what type it is, but when the actinics or moonlights are on the polyps glow green.

acro1-07-28-2009.jpg

This acro, which I am thinking is a tri-color valida or Cali Tort (other side has green flourescents). It is slowly deepening its' purple colouring.

acrotort1-07-28-2009.jpg

Right tank shot from today. My BTA is happy, Octo frog extended out again and on the mend. The hammer and branching frogspawn are happy, and the red mushies are doing well. I also moved a set of candy canes over to this side of the tank as there is a little less flow there.

rts07-28-2009.jpg

Here is my larger baby clownfish Omen. As you can see his mid-bar is coming in nicely and is surrounded by black. It appears even on both sides and I am hoping it doesn't misbar. Also, the black around the head-bar is thicker.

Omen1-07-28-2009.jpg

My smaller baby clown, Runt is slowly developing his mid-bar. As you can see now, it is larger than a pin head and developing on both sides.

runt1-07-28-2009.jpg

Here are all 4 of my clowns so you can see the size difference. Omen is now at the size where I could release him into the main tank if I wanted to, but I'm not..... yet. I am arranging to set up a 25g reef flats tank and will be putting the Picasso and Runt in there.

clownfam1-07-28-2009.jpg

Finally, my FTS for today.

fts07-28-2009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick image update here.

My baby onyx clownfish Omen is getting his tail-bar in now. A couple weeks ahead of schedule. Woo Hoo.

omen08-2009.jpg

Also the color development on my Picasso is coming along nicely. He is getting a lot of his black in now. Too see the colour differentiation scroll back to July 14th's pics of both of them. What a difference.

picassocolours.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.. there are not many new corals in here anyways because they were dead the next day. I am having issues with fragalot.ca right now not wanting to uphold his own policies despite my notifying him within the required window and also supplying him with pics of everything dead. He already had to do a reorder for me once and the stuff he sent me was dead, rotting and stinking to high heaven when I received it. He was even removed as a sponsor from another forum because he refused to respond to the complaints of other customers who were having the same issue. His business has really gone downhill.

Yes.. I am so glad the clowns are looking better and better. Omen is starting to get his black coming in on the tail and dorsal fins now so I am really happy about that. In another month or so he will get his freedom in this tank and Runt will get her freedom in the 25g.

That tanks cycling is going fine. It has a diatom bloom happening right now with a little algae starting. I figure in another week or so I will steal some hermits and a couple cerith snails from my 55g and drop into it to let them start cleaning. I plan on getting more after Sept.10th. I am also buying some healthy frags from Nematoad.

I am loving the coco worm and will eventually get another one of those.. or a couple more. The dendros are healthy, octo frog colony is still deteriorating though, but the reg frog and hammer frags I have nearby are happy as heck so not sure why the colony isn't happy, other than the fact it still is not happy from when the seller accidently dropped it when he took it out of his car to give to me. At least he has promised me good on it.

I will eventually show pics when I can get to a regular PC again and away from my crappy old Mac.

Your tank is looking great. Sorry to hear about all the troubles with fragalot. I was thinking about placing an order from him alittle while back (the $10 frags are tempting) but thankfully nematoad provided me with some links that helped me steer clear from him. I'm sure you will be happy with your frags from nematoad everything I recieved was great.

I'm not sure if I just read over it or not but where did you pick your clowns up? Im looking to add my first fish in a few weeks and i love the looks of onyx clowns.

Sorry about fragalot, hopefully you get that fixed.

Your clowns really are looking awesome, I can't wait to see them in their new home. I am sure they will like it.

I think its kind of odd how difficult it seems to be to get corals in Canada. I have always liked coco worms, I will be watching to see how yours does!

Well good luck with everything as always, hopefully you get your new PC soon, I want new pics haha.

Hi Brian,

Yes I did get my baby onyx actually. If you go through all the pics from May 20th to today you will see their growth pics. Omen and Runt are the baby onyx. By next month they should be getting the deeper black coloration on them. By Nov they should be half covered in their black.

I picked up my clowns from Jim in Gananoque, fortyfathoms.net. He ordered then in from Erik, aka Christosclowns and had them shipped to someone he knows in the states and then he picked them up there on delivery day and brought them up into Canada. That is the only way we Canadians can get em.

Nemotoad must have directed you to canreef then. That is the site where most of us are complaining about Burc. I will never deal with him again.

Unfortunately, it is not so much it being hard to get corals in Canada, as it is with Burc having a nice $10 special and sending dead stuff, or stuff that is not what you ordered and not wanting to honor it and then not responding to complaints.

There are a few other websites I can order from, but now I think I will deal with other hobbyists and with Jim in Gananoque because I know his stuff is good and his colony prices cannot be beat, they also included taxes in the prices.

Actually my coco worm does awsome! he gets moved all the time by the hermit crabs, but he doesn't mind, he will go into his tube for a little while and come out again. His tube is also developing nicely and has grown about an inch since I got him last month. He filters a lot out of the system too and well, poops a lot too.

Wow I really think I want to get one (coco worm)!

I can see how that 10$ deal sound nice, but with what happened its obviously not worth it. I forgot about all the taxes up there, but working with locals is always cheaper. I don't have many locals who have the corals I want which is a bummer.

That I know what you mean. Jim isn't local to me, but he is worth giving my stepmother $30 in gas to drive me up and back every 6 months or so when he has a bunch of what I would like to buy up there.

Haha sounds like a good plan, a couple big orders a year.

I wish I lived in Cali, everyone there seems to have aquariums lol.

Yeah no kidding.

I almost have everything I want. I am still looking to get 2 firefish goby, and I need to get another scissortail dartfish, because one went carpet surfing. The other I managed to save when it tried the same thing about a week ago. Not sure how it got passed the eggcrate.. so I will get another 2 of those. They like being in groups.

I am not sure if I will add a small goby to the 25g tank. I will need to think on that.

In terms of corals.. I have the sps noted down from nemotoad..

so, then I would like to get an orange sun coral, black sun coral. (All the sun coral will be moved into the 25g eventually. It has 130w PC Lighting so I don't have to worry about lighting requirements for them since they are non-photosynthetic.

Elegance coral, torch coral and an open brain, all for the larger tank.

Now one thing I am searching for and is hard to find is a good variety of macroalgae. We can get grape caulerpa, knife caulerpa, ulva and chaeto easily, but the nice red stuff, like fire fern etc is not readily available.

I think someone was selling some of the fire algae a while back (mnherper sorry if thats spelled wrong) but he is located in the US. I would check out reef cleaners if you haven't already, john has some cool macros and your LFS that helps you get stuff across the border might work for getting that.

For a goby, get a yasha and pistol shrimp pair. They are awesome.

Yeah I looked at reefcleaner.org, but again it is an american company so they cannot ship to canada. They have some nice stuff there. I would make a huge order from them if I could get it across the border.

I was sort of thinking of a yasha and pistol mix.. that would be interesting and different and I have the perfect cave area for them already. hmm. good call.

So you can't do orders where they ship to your LFS if its from another company?

Ya I am thinking about getting a pair too, can't decide between my cramped 5.5g or my 24g where I would never see them.

Archived