ReefCleaners.org

Unofficial Clown Goby Thread

Nanobuds

Hi all. I'm setting up my BC14 again (tore it down when I set up my 75 gallon) and it's cycling now. Was wondering if I could keep 2 of these guys in a BC14 - the only other fish would be a False Perc? Or - would one of these guys get along with a yellow watchman? they have both at the LFS and I like them both. sorry if I shouldn't post this question here, i'm new to these forums. Thanks.

its fine to post here! Only get 2 clown gobies if they are already paired up, or they will fight. Yellow clowns gobies are peaceful to other fish and will to fine with the perc and watchman.

You'll have to forgive picture quality. I got a new camera and I'm still learning how to take pictures of moving objects. If they'd only pose for the camera, then it would make things a whole lot easier. :lol:saltwaterandgodfishpict.jpg

umm... This is a clown goby thread... Not a clown thread...

lol

hope you don't mind me asking questions in here about the clown gobies. Is it all clown goby types that have the habit of chewing on sps polyps or just the yellow clown type? I have a birdsnest and monti cap in my 3 gallon, and if I ever do add a fish later on it'll definately be a clown goby, just want to know what I'm in for if I do add one.

Thanks!

Edited by xlzerolx
lakshwadeep
lol

hope you don't mind me asking questions in here about the clown gobies. Is it all clown goby types that have the habit of chewing on sps polyps or just the yellow clown type? I have a birdsnest and monti cap in my 3 gallon, and if I ever do add a fish later on it'll definately be a clown goby, just want to know what I'm in for if I do add one.

Thanks!

No, it isn't just the yellow clown goby (gobiodon okinawae). In the wild, many of them live in SPS colonies, feed on the polyps, and even make nests on the branches. You may get an individual that doesn't eat your sps, but it is unlikely.

Edited by lakshwadeep
Is it correct that two clown gobies (of different colors) would not do well together in a 29Gal tank?

yes it is

Here are two pictures of mine IMG_9908.jpg

IMG_9927.jpg

nice goby!!

QUOTE (GiantBen @ May 9 2009, 08:55 PM) *

Is it correct that two clown gobies (of different colors) would not do well together in a 29Gal tank? "

I have a YCG, GCG, and BCG (w/ red face, hes different lol) all in the same 10g, and there is no fighting of any kind. It was quite funny actually upon adding the latest additions, which are the GCG and the black one. I add them both after acclimating for a bit, and the YCG, Carl, has been in the tank for quite some time, first fish in it ever, and he checks both them out upon their entering. So like, the green goby goes to a rock in the middle and is just chilling, getting used to things, and Carl being the very caring goby that he is :) swims and perches right beside him, and begins scooting closer and closer, little by little, until he is basically cuddling haha. So naturally, the gcg moved , but still it was neat.

I realize I could be the exception and not the rule, but I have no issues of my different gobies together in the same tank.

Edited by Alcapown
addicted2reefer

Its fairly new, but i havent seen the YCG bite at it, but it has a hiding spot on it for sure and stays there in the dark.

spence_BC_PICO003.jpg

5_16_SPS012.jpg

and before the Monti, it liked sittin on a ric.

mondays011.jpg

Edited by addicted2reefer

Some pics of mine:

hanging out on a goni frag

clown_goby_2.gif

perching on some blue devils

clown_goby_3.gif

eating a bloodworm...yeah I added the bubbles.

scuba_goby.gif

I'll post pics of mine tonight.. hes beginning to fatten up some.

ddelallata: what is he/she perched on? I don't know much about SPS

Getting a green clown goby this week for the work pico! Can't wait! :D

awesome!!!

keep the pics coming!!

eating a bloodworm...yeah I added the bubbles.

scuba_goby.gif

:lol: ha ha i lol'd

seahorsejl

Here are pictures of my former YCG. He did great in my 24g, but didn't make it long when I transferred everything to my current 75g.

IMG_8589_med.jpg

IMG_4785_med.jpg

(Can click on the pictures for larger sizes)

Here is mine in my new pico... he's still a little shy...

IMGP0435.jpg

And extra large clickable

th_IMGP0435.jpg

Also, I had a problem with him not eating flake.. took half a clove of garlic and put it in a shotglass of rinsed frozen brine, that got him eating and hes starting to nibble on flake. Also, everyone loves live brine shrimp, fresh from the hatchery! :)

Edited by doolspin

well, my little guy has been bad lately. he has been munching on 2 montiporas, and they arent looking too happy. so i ordered a 3 gallon pico, and in he will go with 3 sexy shrimp and 3 bumblebee shrimp.

I love these little fish. I've had no luck with the unfortunately as my first one went carpet surfacing and the second one never started eating...

heres a pic of one of em before it died...

IMG_1456.jpg?t=1243201869