SaltCritters.com

Unofficial Clown Goby Thread

Nanobuds

Throwing this in here just for the heck of it. I've had this Citron in my tank for about 2 months. He's always eaten, I saw him feeding at the store before buying. He eats Hikari spirulina loaded brine, H2O Life reef caviar and will peck at NLS .5mm pellets. Super active and tons of personality:

post-85523-0-34835900-1409496657_thumb.jpg
post-85523-0-57777800-1409790127_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hello all, i just bought a yellow clown

goby on a lark last week. he ate live stuff

and pecked at pellets in the store. i was hopeful.

but since coming home, i've only seen him take

in .5mm NLS pellets and spit back out, same goes

for reef frenzy and mysis shrimp (frozen). i was

wondering if there were any other tips? i've got cyclopeez

coming my way in the mail.

also, i don't have anything other than a rainford goby in

the tank (which is not doing well either, sighs--i've bought

live pods for it 3x but it's losing weigh) so i don't feed daily.

HOW OFTEN DO YOU FEED YOUR YCG EACH DAY?

thank you. it's frustrating as i'm dropping food in and it's

not getting eaten. i don't want to dirty up the tank too much

either. so i've only been trying to feed once a day.

i love the fish, but maybe i'm just not meant to keep them,

with the luck i've had. :(

Sorry to hear about the problems Cindy :(

Are you feeding the same thing he was eating in the store?

My citron eats twice a day and would eat more if I let him. Actually he does if you count all of the pod hunting he does.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the problems Cindy :(

Are you feeding the same thing he was eating in the store?

My citron eats twice a day and would eat more if I let him. Actually he does if you count all of the pod hunting he does.

thanks. well, the YCG ate live stuff at ASD. :X

ha! it did peck at pellets, but it obviously hadn't

been trained. i liked it and was feeling optomistic.

i think it was trying to eat some of the NLS pellets

i dropped in yesterday, but spat out so much, i'm not

sure if he actually ate it.

and i didn't get cyclop-eez. i'm such a dork. i bought

coral frenzy? which all the fish are supposed to go mad

for. i hope something works!!

thanks. well, the YCG ate live stuff at ASD. :X

ha! it did peck at pellets, but it obviously hadn't

been trained. i liked it and was feeling optomistic.

i think it was trying to eat some of the NLS pellets

i dropped in yesterday, but spat out so much, i'm not

sure if he actually ate it.

and i didn't get cyclop-eez. i'm such a dork. i bought

coral frenzy? which all the fish are supposed to go mad

for. i hope something works!!

Are you soaking the pellets first? I take a little tank water and put it in a small ceramic dish and let the pellets soak for a couple minutes. They break up pretty easy after that and my citron goes after the smaller chunks. You can even crush them up some.

Worse to worst, get some of ASD's live food they feed (maybe you can keep some in a small breeder net in your tank?) and mix pellets/frozen with it and see if the ycg can be trained to the pellets/frozen.

• Like 1

Are you soaking the pellets first? I take a little tank water and put it in a small ceramic dish and let the pellets soak for a couple minutes. They break up pretty easy after that and my citron goes after the smaller chunks. You can even crush them up some.

Worse to worst, get some of ASD's live food they feed (maybe you can keep some in a small breeder net in your tank?) and mix pellets/frozen with it and see if the ycg can be trained to the pellets/frozen.

yes, i will see how well the coral frenzy works.

the NLS pellets are pretty easy to crumble. i've turned

the pump off, and it sits at the top and the YCB swims

A LOT for having less air in its swim bladders or whatever,

pecking at surface. so i'm feeling cautiously hopeful.

the rainford goby (who looks very thin) is going up to peck

too. not as hopeful that she's actully eating.

talk about darwinism. eat the five different foods i

offer PLEASE! :P

• Like 1

I leave my pump on when I feed, my citron has no problem picking stuff out of the water column at full speed, but it does have a hard time grabbing stuff off the surface. Probably a vision thing.

It doesn't seem too interested in anything I feed when the water ISN'T moving when I target feed the corals. Maybe try keeping your pump on? You'll get more food in your filter that way, but that's better than a dead fish...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I leave my pump on when I feed, my citron has no problem picking stuff out of the water column at full speed, but it does have a hard time grabbing stuff off the surface. Probably a vision thing.

It doesn't seem too interested in anything I feed when the water ISN'T moving when I target feed the corals. Maybe try keeping your pump on? You'll get more food in your filter that way, but that's better than a dead fish...

thank you! my ycg is eating well now, but i think

i just lost my rainfordi today, after spending over $100

trying to feed it different things. :( /noob mistake for

buying it in the first place.

QUESTION: i was thinking of getting a gcg in the future.

i had bought one with the rainfordi and it jumped to its death

within the first 24 hours. :( was wondering, are gcg compatible

with ycg?

i have an 8g tank.

thanks!

• Like 1

I can't say definitively, but from all I have read ycg/gcg will get along if there is enough space. I'm not sure if 8g is enough though. I've also read that clown gobies in general can be aggressive toward other clown gobies if crowded.

• Like 1

I can't say definitively, but from all I have read ycg/gcg will get along if there is enough space. I'm not sure if 8g is enough though. I've also read that clown gobies in general can be aggressive toward other clown gobies if crowded.

thanks! yeah. i've read mixed, and my tank

is definitely small. i do want another fish, but

it's proving a harder task than i thought for my

little 8g. possibly a firefish. will consider, though

they hide so much. i love my ycg though! it is eating

the soaked crumbled .5mm NLS pellets, reef frenzy,

frozen enriched brine, and EZ pods too, frozen.

• Like 1

That's great, happy to hear (s)he's eating! They are a lot of fun to watch.

One thing I have picked up from these and other forums.... *maybe* you should wait a month or two before trying another fish ;)

All the experienced reefers seem to say going slow is the key to success...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Quick question been almost 3 week that I added a yellow clown goby but I have problem feeding him. Pellets are to big so its a no go... Shrimps (brine and mysis)? doesn't see him eating any and some for the flakes. Now he is way to slim. He is really active and love moving around from place to place. I swear that he likes to look at us when in the kitchen and always follow us... What to do!? I bring him is food near where he is and no luck and luckily the other fishes (2 occ. clown) doesn't botter him.

• Like 1

Any issues keeping a green clown goby with a red head goby in the same tank? I have a 20 gallon and wonder if they'd fight with each other. Don't know if they'd technically be conspecific as they're different shapes.

Quick question been almost 3 week that I added a yellow clown goby but I have problem feeding him. Pellets are to big so its a no go... Shrimps (brine and mysis)? doesn't see him eating any and some for the flakes. Now he is way to slim. He is really active and love moving around from place to place. I swear that he likes to look at us when in the kitchen and always follow us... What to do!? I bring him is food near where he is and no luck and luckily the other fishes (2 occ. clown) doesn't botter him.

Mine did this for awhile and then eventually started to eat and is now a little fatty. He was very active and appeared happy, but hard to feed. Try some flake food and some bloodworms (mine eats these as well as the shrimps). Likely he is still acclimating to your tank. He should start eating the frozen shrimp eventually.

Any issues keeping a green clown goby with a red head goby in the same tank? I have a 20 gallon and wonder if they'd fight with each other. Don't know if they'd technically be conspecific as they're different shapes.

Most likely not. I wouldn't consider them conspecific, very different fish on different branches of the Gobiidae tree.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this little guy who pretty much lives between my button polyps. I also have a Fiji blue devil, who is just angry at the world and whom I expected to bully the goby, but they get along great.

It's a tiny tank (a bit over 7 gallons) but they both seem to do fine in there.

post-50429-0-59877100-1484426123_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

One of my newest additions.  I'm still trying to get him to eat.  He acts interested then spits it out.  I've had him for almost a week.  

He sure loves the shrooms.  He also loves the alveopora but I'm pretty positive the feelings aren't reciprocated. 

20180509_191458.thumb.jpg.fa32d6a243c47a3ab7134477f0b16e48.jpg20180509_191646.thumb.jpg.545ea7b45a0fcaa9d2ac7161f56c2079.jpg20180510_165847.thumb.jpg.a57a522ae43e68d2a3be6841a68309a7.jpg

• Like 4
  • 5 months later...

I'm thinking about getting either a citron or a YCG for my 10g. Current residents are a red firefish, a few snails, and an emerald crab. This would be my last fish livestock in the tank.