Top Shelf Aquatics

Sammy's 20G Cube

sammy113

Can I say Pichers? I had some uncured rock in a bucket with power heads and now its almost done with the cycle, so I decided to put them in the tank with the sand and some of my old rock in my tank to finish it cycling and seed the new rock. All the water is new and sand as well. Still a little blurry but you got the idea. Probably I'll change the rockwork as I still have in my other tank a nice chunk with corales attached to it. Maybe I'll put it in the left front and have some other mountain in the rear right with a small channel between them. Will have to wait until this cycles so my coral does not get affected.

DSCF1201.jpg~original

DSCF1202.jpg~original

DSCF1203.jpg~original

DSCF1204.jpg~original

DSCF1205.jpg~original

Got Coraline?

This is the coraline factory

DSCF1195.jpg~original

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question... How long should it take to have some readings on the water params? I tested the water params of the bucket with the curing rock and it already had no ammonia, just nitrates and nitrites. The water was kinda dirty and stinky but I rinsed it with new saltwater and put it together with my LR from my other tank and shows now 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia. Is it possible the cured LR from my other tank helped a lot in so short time or is it just the water in the bucket that was very dirty gave me those readings?

Yesterday and today I got to work with the controller box for the LEDs. I did all the wiring from the power supply to the wall plug and from the power supply to the box and the LEDs. Hopefully everything is wired correctly and won't burn anything. Anyways I'm gonna test with just one LED just in case I don't loose them all lol. Here's how it turned out:

DSCF1232.jpg

DSCF1233.jpg

DSCF1238.jpg

Yes, I copied it from waterproof's since he's been a lot of help to me as well as evil, minadin, nanoreef guy and crs2k.

Today I got a very nice deal on the screws and stuff for the LEDs tough. I was trying not to buy them online and lucky me found them locally at " La Casa de los Tornillos" (House of Screws) lol I bought 40 4-40 stainless screws, 40 nylon washers, the 3/32 drill bit, Tap thread thingy with its adapter to do the job all for $10.70 :o They gave a really good price on the Tap stuff because it was laying around for a while and it was kinda stucked. The guy there fix it with a little oil and voila! The screws were around $.08 each and the washers like $.04 each

Kimberly63
Supremely-excellent tank! I can't wait to see it up and running.

:huh: Looks like it's running to me! :P

My tank is cycling now and it's been 7 days since I filled it up. I used some water from my other tank from water changes and added two pieces of LR. You'll definitely have a cycle. Just wait for it. :)

I'd give it a few weeks or so.

Well actually I did have a very little short cycle. Since mot of the Rock was already in my other tank looks like the little nitrates I had disappear withing a few days it was in. A friend om mine gave me a big piece of cured rock from his 75G and I used it as the base and now I got just two big chunks that forms a big mountain in the middle. Right now I'm getting some brown algae on the sand bed (guess is diatoms) but the parameters looks just fine. Thanks for checking me out Kim ;)

shoggoth43

Instead of a Durso Standpipe, what about a Hofer Gurglebuster?

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/...nstruction.html

Based on what I can see of the overflow, you've installed a 90 degree elbow. If you have room for that you should be able to install the gurgle buster. It's pretty much the Durso using some alternate parts for a slimmer footprint.

-

S

Short Update. Finally! its up and running! Ran the water test with just a small water leak in the hose from the pump to the tank. Just tighten the clamp and voila'. The overflow works very nice, the plumbing is extremely quiet, I tough the 1" drain tube will sound like a toilet without the durso (I don't have space for it) Still need just to glue the plastic over the overflow to prevent fish jumping over it and then start the light. I will start the fixture housing to entertain myself with something until the LEDs arrive. Heres a vid of it running:

th_DSCF1144.jpg

really nice copy of the elos mini :D

can i ask you though - it must have cost a lot even copying it, no?? do you really save money making everything yourself compared to just buying the whole thing ready?

Looking good, I just glued up a very similar tank at 17X17X15 that I plan on putting LEDs on as well. I'll be watching this one.

Instead of a Durso Standpipe, what about a Hofer Gurglebuster?

http://home.everestkc.net/jrobertson57268/...nstruction.html

Based on what I can see of the overflow, you've installed a 90 degree elbow. If you have room for that you should be able to install the gurgle buster. It's pretty much the Durso using some alternate parts for a slimmer footprint.

-

S

Thats a nice one! Thank God my overflow tubbing is not glued, just placed there to test and never glued it! I'm gonna try this one! Thanks

Win

:lol:

really nice copy of the elos mini :D

can i ask you though - it must have cost a lot even copying it, no?? do you really save money making everything yourself compared to just buying the whole thing ready?

Well I one of those who don't prefer to recall how much h=you have spend but with this project I'm very proud how it turned. Actually I did spend like 1/4 of the ELOS price. Thats even including the LED light fixture. Tank, sump, stand and plumbing was just about $225 LED light is around $250 Keep in mind that I have some of the materials and all the tools needed.

Looking good, I just glued up a very similar tank at 17X17X15 that I plan on putting LEDs on as well. I'll be watching this one.

Nice! when you start your thread let me know to see it!

wow... skillz

Right now I'm doing a skimmer. I haven't post anything yet and will come with some pics later on. Still waiting for a new return pump and the Rio skimmer pump. If I did all this copying the ELOS why not do the skimmer also? :lol: How it works....

Alright, update time. Skimmer is finished finally. Well you guys know my tank is basically a copy of the ELOS mini... I was thinking in a nice compact skimmer that work for me in the sump and saw the sapphire aquatics AP24. Its very nice and looks very compromising. So I also did something similar to it. Heres the finished product:

Almost there... Still some pieces to be glued.

DSCF1244.jpg

DSCF1245.jpg

And finished:

DSCF1264.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg

DSCF1266.jpg

And here it is working. Works like a champ. Still haven't collected nothing from it. Its been running for 1 hour but I have TONS of micro bubbles in the main chamber and I don't get any unwanted bubbles in the tank.

DSCF1271.jpg

DSCF1274.jpg

DSCF1269.jpg

I will also upload a video to see it in action. I'm very amazed with this thing. Its awesome!

You certainly have some skill with acrylic. I know you have been patiently waiting for your LEDs, but they are on the way and you should see them soon.

Heres some recent pics of the whole tank, skimmer has already pulled some juice there, even tough theres only 3 fish that eats 3-4 times a week.

DSCF1288.jpg

DSCF1287.jpg

Don't mind the cable noodle. It will dissapear very soon lol

DSCF1277.jpg

DSCF1275.jpg

DSCF1286.jpg

DSCF1285.jpg

DSCF1284.jpg

Really great work there. I'm just amazed at your acrylic skills and your stand looks incredible. I wish you had the pictures from the stand build though. Been thinking about trying to build something similar but am lacking the experience, tools, and a good write-up easy enough for a dummy like me to follow. :lol:

How hard is it for someone who has no real wood-work experience to work with laminate?

Archived